Feeling overwhelmed - need help for son's birthday- narrowed down to 3-opinions pls?

ocnmeg

Which cruise line/ship should I go with?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise line/ship should I go with?

• Norwegian- Norwegian Jewel
    • Carnival - Carnival Pride
    • Royal Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas

Hello all - I am planning to take my son on a cruise for his 18th birthday - it's a surprise. First cruise for both of us, although we do travel a bit - mainly domestically. It will be just the two of us, possibly my father (active 70) as well (in his own cabin). A bit about us - he pretty mature for a teenager but would rather play XBox than sit and read - typical kid. Loves sports - playing and watching. We are both physically active and live near and love the beach.

I think I have narrowed it down to three choices and would greatly appreciate any input - good:), bad :confused:or ugly:mad:!

7 night Bahamas - Norwegian Jewel (Norwegian)

7 night Bahamas - Carnival Pride (Carnival)

5 night Bermuda - Enchantment of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

We would be going with either an outside view or a balcony room. I've narrowed it down to these three based on departure points - NY/Baltimore and time of year -(I want him at sea on his birthday 11/1- thought that would be kinda cool).

I would like more of an "old-school" cruise - set meal times, at least one formal dinner (for his birthday), and LOTS of activities, especially for older teens. Carnival seems to have a more laid-back atmosphere but I am not sure if that would be too informal for us - we aren't "fancy" as my son would say but I do place a premium on excellent service (I used to work for Disney so I am spoiled:-) We like good food and a nice variety. I also would like it to be as inclusive price-wise as possible - would rather pay a bit more up front than be nickel and dimed the whole trip. Was leaning toward Royal Caribbean but then saw that the Norwegian one fits my criteria so now I'm trying to decide among the three.

THANK YOU in advance for any input, insights and/or opinions.

Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Megan

Hello all - I am planning to take my son on a cruise for his 18th birthday - it's a surprise. First cruise for both of us, although we do travel a bit - mainly domestically. It will be just the two of us, possibly my father (active 70) as well (in his own cabin). A bit about us - he pretty mature for a teenager but would rather play XBox than sit and read - typical kid. Loves sports - playing and watching. We are both physically active and live near and love the beach.

I think I have narrowed it down to three choices and would greatly appreciate any input - good:), bad :confused:or ugly:mad:!

7 night Bahamas - Norwegian Jewel (Norwegian)

7 night Bahamas - Carnival Pride (Carnival)

5 night Bermuda - Enchantment of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

We would be going with either an outside view or a balcony room. I've narrowed it down to these three based on departure points - NY/Baltimore and time of year -(I want him at sea on his birthday 11/1- thought that would be kinda cool).

I would like more of an "old-school" cruise - set meal times, at least one formal dinner (for his birthday),

Well, then, eliminate Norwegian Jewel entirely. That's the "freestyle" that you read about when you read about NCL -- NO "set meal times", NO "formal nights". Mealtimes have always been what some lines call "anytime dining". You show up at the dining room at the announced dinner times (usually around 5:30 - 9:30 p.m.), they'll ask how many in your party, and seat you accordingly. Or, if you're wanting to share with others, you can do that, too.

and LOTS of activities, especially for older teens. Carnival seems to have a more laid-back atmosphere but I am not sure if that would be too informal for us - we aren't "fancy" as my son would say but I do place a premium on excellent service (I used to work for Disney so I am spoiled:-) We like good food and a nice variety. I also would like it to be as inclusive price-wise as possible - would rather pay a bit more up front than be nickel and dimed the whole trip. Was leaning toward Royal Caribbean but then saw that the Norwegian one fits my criteria so now I'm trying to decide among the three.

I personally really don't like Carnival..so if we've eliminated NCL for it's "freestyle" atmosphere, and Carnival (because I don't like it :o )..then looks like RC is your choice.

THANK YOU in advance for any input, insights and/or opinions.

Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Megan

I can't speak for the children's program, as we don't have children..but 18 is hardly a "child". On some lines, they can drink beer (with parental permission) at 18....

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

At 18, he's going to be considered an "adult", as far as activities go....none of the ships have programs for 18 year olds.

Carnival seems to get the thumbs up on food. It's no more "informal" than NCL and they still have "elegant" nights, and RCI has "formal" nights.

RCI generally has great service.

Both RCI and Carnival still have "traditional" seating at dinner (as well as some form of "anytime" dining....NCL is all about the "no schedule" thing.)

None are anywhere NEAR "all-inclusive"...you will pay additionally for all alcohol, and sodas...and all have "specialty restaurants" with an upcharge....but you are in no way obligated to use those up-charge places!

That's a tough one because of your preferences.

If you like the traditional way of cruise dining then you'd need to eliminate Norwegian (although I do like NCL).

Personally I prefer a longer cruise so I would eliminate the 5-day Royal.

I cruised on Carnival &, while we had a great time, I didn't think the service was all that great ... we thought it was better on Norwegian.

So ... I really don't know which to recommend. I guess I'd advise you to go w/ Carnival only because you want the traditiaonl dinner seating. Otherwise I'd suggest the Jewel.

Since your requirement is to depart from either Baltimore or NY, and to be onboard for his birthday say, Nov 1st - I think you should consider sailing out of New Jersey (Bayonne) and sail to the Carribean on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas. MUCH, MUCH better itinerary for a first time cruise!! My daughter cruised with us from the ages of 8 thru 21 on all lines, and I am happy to say that there is ALWAYS something for young people to do. They seem to find each other even if it isn't organized by the ship. You should decide if you want to let him drink .. because they will probably let him at 18 I think. (we didn't let our daughter - a mutal decision reached by all three of us, and they put a hole in her card back then, not sure if they control it now or not, that was about 7-8 years ago.)

Karen

Since your requirement is to depart from either Baltimore or NY, and to be onboard for his birthday say, Nov 1st - I think you should consider sailing out of New Jersey (Bayonne) and sail to the Carribean on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas. MUCH, MUCH better itinerary for a first time cruise!! My daughter cruised with us from the ages of 8 thru 21 on all lines, and I am happy to say that there is ALWAYS something for young people to do. They seem to find each other even if it isn't organized by the ship. You should decide if you want to let him drink .. because they will probably let him at 18 I think. (we didn't let our daughter - a mutal decision reached by all three of us, and they put a hole in her card back then, not sure if they control it now or not, that was about 7-8 years ago.)

Karen

If you can do a 10 nights cruise, the Explorer of the Seas will sail from Bayonne on October 28, 2010. I agree that this is a better ship and your son will have even more fun with an ice-skating rink...

Wow - thanks everyone for the quick and helpful replies! And yes, we can definitely go out of NJ (we live here) - I forgot to put NY/NJ:-) Would love to do the 10 day - might be able to convince my boss... anyone have an idea for that? lol

Thanks again!

Megan

Depending upon what different people enjoy when cruising, you'll find 10 different people on the same cruise and each one has a separate experience, and will like, or not like something about the cruise.

Just reading the replies here, I can tell you I agree with some, not with others.

I haven't been on the exact ships you name, however I have been on NCL, Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Our neighbors are cruise travel agents and prefer RCCL most...hubby and I find it a very nice cruise, but compared to both NCL and Carnival, a bit stuffy. For an 18 year old, he'll find the most activities on Carnival. For a 70 year old, your Dad will probably enjoy RCCL most. You're looking for a 'traditional cruise'...go with RCCL. On NCL, if you don't want to dress up, you don't have to, but you can bring formal attire if you want...and we like that about it.

The food is good on RCCL, better on Carnival, and much more variety (different cuisine, different restaurant each night if you choose...this is what WE enjoy most about NCL) on NCL.

We like not having to sit at every meal at the exact same time, sitting with people we don't know. We try to do that at lunchtime to meet others, but dinner we don't want to.

I would suggest a 7 day cruise for your first time, not something longer. While you may enjoy a 10 day, we find that more retirees travel on the longer cruises, and so everything is geared to an older clientele, the entertainment especially...people who have the money and the time to cruise. That may not work for your son. This is another reason we enjoy NCL...if we are on a 10 day cruise, we've been able to enjoy a different restaurant each night. By the time you get to day 8, sitting at the same table with the same people at the same time every night...you can get very tired of the 'same ole thing'. (plus on a 10 day cruise you need to bring elastic waist pants!...the food for 10 days straight is gonna get ya!)

We cruised with our kids starting at the age of 8 and 9 years old, all the way to the present...and they are now married. There was a group available for them at age 18, but they don't call it a 'camp' then. At age 18 he may be thrown in with much older single 'young adults'...in their 20's. He may be too old for the oldest 'teenage' group.

The time of the year you have chosen to celebrate and sail will diminish the number of young people on any cruise line. I don't think anyone noted the preferred sailing parameter. The youngest crowd will probably be on Carnival.

You should also be aware that you are still within the hurricane season and that should be a consideration. Travel insurance would be a wise addition to your budget.

The Enchantment is an older ship. We were on her years ago but I would think she was still in good shape. We have sailed Carnival, but not been on the Pride. We have never sailed on NCL.

We have been to the Bahamas by sea and air many times and love Paradise Island and the Atlantis resort but I think you will find Bermuda far more charming. There is something for you, your father and particularly your son.

Food is a very subjective matter. We have found some selections better on Carnival and others on RCI.

Since this is your first cruise I would recommend the Enchantment for five nights. It will give you a taste of the cruise experience and a very special way to celebrate the 18th birthday.

All three of those cruise lines are similar in what they include in the cruise fare and what they charge extra for. On all, you will pay extra for soda, alcohol, specific specialty restaurants, spa treatments, bingo, excursions. There are small differences (some include specialty coffee, some don't; some include specialty ice cream, some don't; that sort of thing). OTOH, those are things we pay extra for at Disney, so it shouldn't feel too strange.

beachchick

Archived