Back to St. Mar..already done Bernards..what now /

thrltr

Going back to St. Martin and I don’t know how to approach the day. We were not very impressed by the island on our tour so there is no place that I want to go back to. We thought Orient was way overpriced and the bathrooms were the worst ever…and they charged to use them. The planes at Maho were cool but been there done that. Is there a nice all inclusive that we could get a day pass to that would include drinks and food if so maybe we will just kick back there for the day. We will be docked from 7am until 5 pm and we really don’t need a great beach day because we will go to St. John the day before which is our all time favorite. Any help that you give is greatly appreciated

Going back to St. Martin and I don’t know how to approach the day. We were not very impressed by the island on our tour so there is no place that I want to go back to. We thought Orient was way overpriced and the bathrooms were the worst ever…and they charged to use them. The planes at Maho were cool but been there done that. Is there a nice all inclusive that we could get a day pass to that would include drinks and food if so maybe we will just kick back there for the day. We will be docked from 7am until 5 pm and we really don’t need a great beach day because we will go to St. John the day before which is our all time favorite. Any help that you give is greatly appreciated

Great post that I too am interested in! Please -- past St Maarten visitors, give us some options other than Benards.

Question for "thrltr" -- what did you mean that Orient was overpriced? Are you saying that when Bernard took you there you had to pay for the beach?

You are right, St. Martin is not the prettiest island and you can not compare an island that is at least 50% national park to an island that has thousands and thousands more residents and visitors. With that said, I love St. Maarten/St. Martin and whenever we get the chance to vacation in the Caribbean it is difficult to find a reason not to go back to it. Since St. Martin is known for wonderful dining I would suggest planning a day around that. How about spending the day at Petite Plague in Grand Case. You can take a snorkel trip out to nearby creole rock and you can stroll in to Grand Case and enjoy lunch at one of the restaurants overlooking the sea. Of course the selection will be smaller at lunch but there are several that are open. You could also take a taxi in to Marigot and hike up to the Fort and then have lunch at one of the fine restaurants in Marigot at the Marina Royale. Pinel Island is also another great place to spend the day. You can rent chairs and umbrellas, swim/snorkel, or go on a little hike to the other side of the island. Do you like seafood? There is a restaurant on Pinel that has wonderful fresh from the sea lobster and other seafood. Enjoy you day in St. Martin and by the way, thanks for the question, you just helped me plan three days for my up coming vacation.icon7.gif

As much as I love Chicago any day on any Caribbean island beats it hands down. At Orient Beach there was no fee to get to the beach but chairs, sports, food, drink it all adds up there. We sat at one of the small beach side restaurants and we each had a beer and we split a noodle dish and the bill was over 50 bucks us. For what we got it wasn’t close to worth it. The bathroom was disgusting and you had to pay to use it or someone was just there using that as their hustle to make a buck or two. Overall I wasn’t impressed and could skip Orient. I think we will just get off the ship and take a stroll and see where we wind up not far from the pier. We did that in San Juan this past March and had one of the best port days ever. By the way we were at Jacks shack in Grand Cayman for hours and ate twice and we drank for hours and I think my bill total there was 45 bucks.

As much as I love Chicago any day on any Caribbean island beats it hands down. At Orient Beach there was no fee to get to the beach but chairs, sports, food, drink it all adds up there. We sat at one of the small beach side restaurants and we each had a beer and we split a noodle dish and the bill was over 50 bucks us. For what we got it wasn’t close to worth it. The bathroom was disgusting and you had to pay to use it or someone was just there using that as their hustle to make a buck or two. Overall I wasn’t impressed and could skip Orient. I think we will just get off the ship and take a stroll and see where we wind up not far from the pier. We did that in San Juan this past March and had one of the best port days ever. By the way we were at Jacks shack in Grand Cayman for hours and ate twice and we drank for hours and I think my bill total there was 45 bucks.

Hello there Tinley Park! It's great to hear from other mid-western Chicago area folks! Boy -- your observations about the Orient are something to be concerned about. I realize it's vacation and tourist "stuff" - but those prices seem outrageous. We need to factor that into our thinking. I'm traveling with my daughter's family which includes to girls ages 11 and 9 so all they really want to do is swim. But grand-father needs a chair! And a cocktail or beer would be nice too. Not sure what my options are here but at least I'm prepared. Thanks so much for your comments!

Dave K.

PS: It was a great holiday weekend and these are the time Chicago is great. But winter? Ugh. Agree Caribbean is the place to be.

I'm going back to St Martin at the end of the month. My plans are to get a taxi to Marigot and then take the ferry to Anguilla for lunch and beach time. I've seen the island (St Martin) so many times that I want to see Anguilla....Plus I love the book - Trip to the Beach about the Blanchard family moving to the island.

<snip>We sat at one of the small beach side restaurants and we each had a beer and we split a noodle dish and the bill was over 50 bucks us. For what we got it wasn’t close to worth it. <snip>

I suppose you could spend that much money, but there's certainly no reason to.

$2 beers are available along Orient, and lunch items are readily available in the $8 to $12 range.

Take my Virtual Walk along Orient and check out some of the posted menus.

It's really quite easy to do Orient 'on the cheap'.

gary

p.s. And if you're concerned about the cost, ask when you order.

Depends on what you like doing. You could take the water taxi (or walk - 15 minutes) to Philipsburg. Stroll along the board walk, stop for a drink here and there, take note of interesting eateries. Cut through to the main shopping street (Voorstraat) and window shop. Don't forget to explore the shop lined alleys that branch off. Have a leisurely lunch in town or, if you took the water taxi, back aboard. Maybe duck into the chocolatier to acquire a treat - do it late in the afternoon if you are going to take it with you, or earlier and have them send it to the ship.

Last time I was in St Maarten the absolutely cleanest public washroom in the entire Caribbean, maybe the world, was just behind the Courthouse. I'd like to know if it's still so clean.

Depends on what you like doing. You could take the water taxi (or walk - 15 minutes) to Philipsburg. Stroll along the board walk, stop for a drink here and there, take note of interesting eateries. Cut through to the main shopping street (Voorstraat) and window shop. Don't forget to explore the shop lined alleys that branch off. Have a leisurely lunch in town or, if you took the water taxi, back aboard. Maybe duck into the chocolatier to acquire a treat - do it late in the afternoon if you are going to take it with you, or earlier and have them send it to the ship.

Last time I was in St Maarten the absolutely cleanest public washroom in the entire Caribbean, maybe the world, was just behind the Courthouse. I'd like to know if it's still so clean.

A fine suggestion.

There is also a very clean bathroom on the Little Pier, one of the Water Taxi stops.

"Voorstraat" is Front Street, easy to find for shopping even if you don't know the name.

I'll assume that the chocolatier you speak of is the Belgian Chocolate Shop on Old Street.

gary

I like the idea of just strolling through Phillipsburg. I don’t think that we went to this area with the Bernard tour. We did stop in an area with a flea market for around 30 minutes but that was it. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions

Gary.....thanks for your many suggestions/advice regarding St. Maartin. I have another question...please excuse if you replied before....

we're taking the Bernard Tour (looking forward to it) and was wondering about the restrooms at Orient or Maho. Since we'll be at both beaches, swimming, I hope, any info on restroom areas at these beaches in case we want to change out of our suits:confused: After the tour we're going to have Bernard drop us off in Phillipsburg for some shopping and we may not want to keep our suits on.....thanks,

Amy

Gary.....thanks for your many suggestions/advice regarding St. Maartin. I have another question...please excuse if you replied before....

we're taking the Bernard Tour (looking forward to it) and was wondering about the restrooms at Orient or Maho. Since we'll be at both beaches, swimming, I hope, any info on restroom areas at these beaches in case we want to change out of our suits:confused: After the tour we're going to have Bernard drop us off in Phillipsburg for some shopping and we may not want to keep our suits on.....thanks,

Amy

Many of the bars/restaurants on Orient have bathroom facilities. Usually free if you rent chairs or eat there. Pedro's has bathroom and shower facilities that are literally only a few steps from where Bernard usually parks. It has been $.50 for bathroom and $2.00 for a shower. (Water is brought in by truck and is expensive.)

th_DSCN6425.jpg

(click)

There are also bathroom facilities at the Sunset Bar and Grill on Maho.

If you wait until you get back to Philipsburg, there are very nice public facilities located on the Little Pier, one of the Water Taxi stops, and probably near where Bernard will drop you in town.

gary

I came to this thread cuz I'm compiling a list of possible activities to choose from when we visit St. Maarten in September, we're renting a car and exploring.

Here's the list I've compiled so far, keep in mind I've pulled this info from other people's reviews, websites and internet searches. I haven't personally done any of this so I welcome anyone's comments if they HAVE done any of the following:

Mullet Bay - Walk to the far end of Mullet Bay Beach and you will find a trail leading to a rocky coast. Here you’ll find many interesting rock formations, whale holes, and natural bridges.

Cupecoy Cave - There are three ways to get there. As the cave is located at a private beach belonging to Cupecoy Beach Club Apartments, you can either find a friend who lives there who could let you in. Or, you could go to the beach at Windham Sapphire and follow the cliffs on the left side until you reach it. The most fun way is to snorkel there from Mullet Bay Beach. Just follow along the rocks at the right of Mullet Bay Beach.

Maho Beach — Yes, this is the famous beach where Boeing 747’s land just above your head while you wade in the crystal-blue waters. Maho Beach isn’t the best beach on St. Maarten but it certainly is one of the most fun precisely for this reason. Check out Sunset Beach Bar if you’re hungry or just want a drink, and enjoy watching the planes land and take off. Maho Beach is located on the other side of the golf course from AUC, about 30 minutes away on foot.

Marigot Market — Every Saturday mornings, fishermen from St. Martin and Anguilla come to sell their fresh catch at the outdoor market at Marigot. Get your fresh locally-grown fruits and veggies here or bargain for the usual tourist-targeted merchandise. Visit the coconut man for a sip of yummy coconut juice, or try some conch at one of the local food shacks.

Fort Louis - Overlooking Marigot, For Louis offers some fantastic views of the island and beyond.

Fort Amsterdam - Overlooking Philipsburg, Fort Amsterdam not only offers great views but also is perfect for the history buff. There are lots of ruins, old cannons, and plaques that explain the history of the place. Drive into Little Divi Bay hotel resort, park, then follow the signs up the hill to walk there.

Pic Paradis - The highest point on the island and offers wonderful vistas of the island and the ocean in all directions. A hiking trail on top links mountain peaks to mountain peaks. A one-way hike would take about 2 hrs to complete, or 4 hrs roundtrip, if you please to go that far. As the trail winds through forest and meadows, you may see mango trees (or even pick a mango or two to try), banana trees, and if you’re really lucky, you may spot a monkey. Drive past Marigot and follow the signs for pic paradis. At the top, you’ll reach a radio station. Park somewhere on the side of the road and follow the sign for the hiking trail.

Island Hopping Adventure - Off the coast of Lucas Bay lies four little, uninhabited islands. As the bay is shallow, it is easy to wade across the water from island to island, exploring what each has to offer. The waters are very clear and you can see starfish, sea urchins, and conchs.

Snorkeling the Shipwreck at Simpson Bay Beach - On the far side of Simpson Bay Beach, close to the drawbridge, there is a small shipwreck that may be worth exploring by snorkel. I have yet to do this one.

Snorkel the Caves at Baie Rouge - I’ve been recommended this one by several people. There is much to see when you snorkel along the bluff on the right hand side of the beach. There’s even a cave in the water so I hear!

Strolling down the Boardwalk in Philipsburg - This is probably the most touristy thing you can do in Philipsburg, along with hundreds of other cruise ship day-trippers.

Shopping on Front Street - Front Street is the main avenue in downtown Philipsburg and is basically one big outdoor mall with cars and tourists. It’s the most lively place to go shop on the island in my opinion. Jewelry stores, boutiques, upscale fashion stores, and restaurants line the street. Go visit the

Yoda Guy - He’s one of the key artists who reportedly designed Yoda from Star Wars (along with characters from other movies) and he now runs a museum/store selling genuine Star Wars memorabilia.

Shopping in Marigot - Downtown Marigot also offers a lot of great shopping places. There are lots of upscale clothing stores like Promod that feature the latest styles from Paris. If you are hungry, have a nice lunch at Sarafina’s, a very popular French bakery among the locals.

Simpson Bay Lagoon - A great place to go kayaking — the waters are stable, clear, and the scenery’s beautiful. Kayak to one of the small islands in the lagoon and do some exploration. There are several shops you can rent kayaks, but at Tri Sport, you can rent a double and go with a buddy for $29 for 4 hrs.

Butterfly Farm - Hardly any locals come here. Most people who come here are cruise ship tourists. Nevertheless, if you like caterpillars and butterflies all around you, this is the picture perfect place. $15 per person.

Pinel Island — This offshore island is pure-joy to be. It’s a nice place to lay on the beach or go snorkeling, and offers a wonderful view of St. Martin. Ferries leave from French Cul-de-Sac every half hour until about 4 or 5pm. Tickets are $7 per person round-trip.

Go Kart racing — If you drive past Marigot right before you get to Grand Case, you’ll see a Go Kart racing place on the right side. I don’t know how much it would cost but I can’t imagine it being that much.

St. Maarten Park - St. Maarten’s own little zoo, showcasing over 80 species from the Caribbean region. To get there, drive to the north side of the Salt Pond in Philipsburg. Entrance fee is $5.

Sunday Brunch — Have all-you-can-eat champagne, oysters, crab legs, sushi, Italian pasta bar, hand-carved roasted lamb, fondue, and more at the Westin in Oyster Pond for $48 (you’ll eat your money’s worth). Then spend some time relaxing on Dawn Beach (where the Westin is), one of the nicer beaches on the island.

Loterie Farm

~Lisa :p

Sounds like a great day on the island, especially if you're there for the Sunday Brunch, but you should probably start your own thread instead of hijacking this discussion about Bernard's Tours.

gary

Sounds like a great day on the island, especially if you're there for the Sunday Brunch, but you should probably start your own thread instead of hijacking this discussion about Bernard's Tours.

gary

Like I mentioned last week there are so many threads here asking about tour guides it is hard to keep them straight. LOL. This thread is about the person who already did Bernards and Orient and was not impressed with St. Maarten and is looking for ideas for his next visit. The poster was not hijacking but rather passing on information that they had gathered for their own upcoming visit.

gary

Hmmmmmmm -- the title of this thread is "Back to St. Mar..already done Bernards..what now /"

It seems to me that the post offers several alternatives to Bernard's tour (if one has already experienced that) and is very appropriate to the thread. Why do you consider it a "hijacked" post?

Regarding Pic Paradise. I personally would not hike that unless I was on a guided hike from Lotterie Farm. I would personally not drive up the the look-out even as in the past this was a place known for frequent car break-ins and the occasional robbery.

Hmmmmmmm -- the title of this thread is "Back to St. Mar..already done Bernards..what now /"

It seems to me that the post offers several alternatives to Bernard's tour (if one has already experienced that) and is very appropriate to the thread. Why do you consider it a "hijacked" post?

Sorry, I lost track of which thread I was in.

You are correct, of course.

gary

I don't know if this is up your alley but we had a fantastic day on St Marten when we took a Harley Davidson tour, which was offered through the Princess shore excursions. It was a bit pricey (about $400 for both of us on one bike) and you have to have a bike license of course. For about 4 hours we drove the island with a tour guide and 3 other couples, making a number of stops and lunch was included. This was one of our all time favorite tours and we had time to shop after so that was a big bonus too.

Regarding Pic Paradise. I personally would not hike that unless I was on a guided hike from Lotterie Farm. I would personally not drive up the the look-out even as in the past this was a place known for frequent car break-ins and the occasional robbery.

Ooh, that's good to know!!

~Lisa :p

Archived