Rental cars in Hawaii questions.....

cruisequeen10

I emailed them and got this response (just looked now):

Here is all of the information we have about shuttles in Hawaii. If you question is not answered, please contact Thrifty directly:

· Hawaii Shuttle Information

Honolulu- National or Alamo on Alamoana Blvd. are near the pier and offer free shuttle service. Thrifty and Dollar (have to call 808-952-4264 for pickup- allow 30 minutes) have shuttle service from HNL to the pier.

Hilo- enter "Hilo, HI," and click on the airport location- with the

airplane icon, below. After you search, look for the listing for

Budget or Alamo. Budget runs constant shuttles to the pier when

ships are coming in. Alamo will pick you up if you call them at 808-246-0645.

Kahului-OGG (code). After you search, look for a

listing for Avis or Budget. They run shuttles to the pier 7 days a

week from 5:30am-11:45pm 7 days a week. If you make a Budget reservation, you need to call them at 808-871-8811 ext "0" for pick up.

Avis: Also- FYI- there is FREE parking at the pier. If you should

want to rent park the car overnight and use it the next day (since you

are there for two days), that is a very good resource.

Kona- Enter KOA for the airport location, After you search, look for a

listing from either Alamo or National. They both run shuttle service

from 8:00-10:30 a.m. for picking up the car, and return service from

2:30 - 3:30 p.m.

Kauai- Enter LIH for the airport location. After you search, look for

a listing from:

-Avis: They run a shuttle service to the pier from the

nearby Lihue Airport. They suggest you call them the morning you

arrive to remind them what time you want to be picked up.

-Dollar or Thrifty: They run a shuttle service to the pier on the day that cruise ships dock and leave. They suggest you call them one hour after docking for pickup and return the car at least one hour before leaving to shuttle back to the pier.

Maui- Both National and Alamo offer free shuttle service daily from JHM to Lahaina from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. You must call 1-808-667-9737 (same number for both vendors).

Support@CarRentals.com

Where on Kauai did you drive? Was parking an issue at the popular overlooks/spots?

On our first day in Kauai, we drove to Waimea Canyon in the morning. The only overlook that was crowded was the big Waimea Canyon overlook (the one right near the entrance to Kokee State Park), because that is as far as the tour buses go. In the afternoon we drove to the North Shore as far as Hanalei. I don't remember any parking problems at the Kilauea Lighthouse overlook, and we were the only people at the Hanalei Valley overlook. We also stopped at Anini Beach which was not crowded either.

On our second day in Kauai, we went to the Spouting Horn - again, no parking problems there either. I should tell you though that we were in a minivan and using my mother's handicapped permit. After my 81-year-old parents and 79-year-old aunt left (a day before we did), I had a lot of trouble in some locations, particularly in downtown Honolulu, parking that big ol' van in tiny spots without the handicapped permit! Shoulda traded for a smaller car when I dropped them off at the airport.

Thanks! That's a great idea about taking a cab in Nawiliwili to save waiting for the shuttle. Where on Kauai did you drive? Was parking an issue at the popular overlooks/spots?

It can be, but it depends on the time of day, time of year, day of the week, and whether a ship is in port (obviously, yes in your case). We've had times when we found a place to park all over the place with no problem. We've had times when really popular places are darn crowded. It really will depend on many factors, but what's kind of in your favor (sad to say) is that tourism is down everywhere, including Hawaii, so crowds tend to be down too.

beachchick

How did you add the extra drivers? Did they have to sign anything?

When you book through the website I listed, the promotion is one that automatically includes the extra drivers. However, as mentioned, the drivers you want to add do need to be at the check in counter to show their driver's license and sign the contract. Although I did all the driving, I did want the option to be a passenger if I didn't feel well, became tired, or fell and sprained my ankle ;)

Archived