Rental cars in Hawaii questions.....

cruisequeen10

Renting a car in Maui and have to pick up the car at the airport - how much by taxi to the airport

Renting a car in Honolulu for 2 days - picking up car at airport - how much by taxi or public transport to airport - the ship is in port for 2 days and will have the car overnight, is there parking at the pier

Cruisequeen....we did the Ensenada to Hawaii cruise a couple of years ago and we rented a car in Maui....in fact, all the ports. The rental company had a van pick us up at the ship and took us to the airport, free of charge....I don't remember who we rented with, but as I remember, there were several companies who did this. They are standing by when the ship arrives......it was a very easy pick up and drop off.....We did the "road to Hana" and had a ball! :eek:

As far as parking overnite, can't help ya there...we only rented for the day....beacuse I remember they do have 24 hour parking at the pier but it was more than the rental charge!

most maui car companies are off site they have shuttles that pick u up at the pier also . in honolulu why not pick a enterpirse or someone who will shuttle u and there is parking at the pier goggle the pier i thought it was like 24 for the night :D

We rented a car at every port when we did the NCLA cruise. All of them through Thrifty. Great service at every spot except Kauai. They no longer had a shuttle at the pier...in fact they no longer had an office!:eek: We ended up going through Dollar.

But, as other posters have said...shuttles at each pier/airport take you where you need to be. Word of caution for Honolulu...if they offer an iupgrade to a Lincoln Town Car (while that is usually an awesome thing), do't take it...driving a Town Car around Honolulu and in the parking garages was a PITA!

We were picked up by a courtesy car in all our ports.

In Maui, we had them pick us up both days, as we could not get a parking pass at the pier.

There is overnight parking at the pier in Honolulu.

Renting a car in Maui and have to pick up the car at the airport - how much by taxi to the airport

Renting a car in Honolulu for 2 days - picking up car at airport - how much by taxi or public transport to airport - the ship is in port for 2 days and will have the car overnight, is there parking at the pier

We took the cruise that stoped at 5 islands. CCL. We rented a car on all the islands, had a wonderful time seeing the 'real' Hawaii at our leisure!

Went to see some of the tours offered on the ship on our own. Car rental was about the same $ as one tour. :D

Luv's Crusin'

We were picked up by a courtesy car in all our ports.

In Maui, we had them pick us up both days, as we could not get a parking pass at the pier.

There is overnight parking at the pier in Honolulu.

Still trying to find overnight parking in Honolulu.

Mr Pete, where is the overnight parking

Right next to the ship. We were looking right at our car from the ship..

I contacted Aloha tower and they said there was no overnight parking in the area. Suggested I try some hotels close by. <

Would you happen to know the name of this overnight parking and when were you there last

I contacted Aloha tower and they said there was no overnight parking in the area. Suggested I try some hotels close by. <

Would you happen to know the name of this overnight parking and when were you there last

It was just the port parking. Didn't pay a dime. It was 12 years ogo, so things may have change. I have a crew member friend on Facebook. Let me see if i can get some info out of him.

The rental car company will have shuttles to pickup/drop off to the pier.

In Honolulu, we rented from Thrifty airport location. When we arrived in Honolulu, I took their airport shuttle to their rental office. The day we board, I dropped off the car and took their pier shuttle--no need for taxi.

There were about dozen or so parking spaces at the NCL pier, but I'm not sure if you can park there overnight. If you're cruising with NCL, you might want to contact their customer service to find out.

Very little parking in Maui close to ship, however there is a shopping center about 2 blocks away. We parked overnight and it was only about a 5 minute walk.

Good to know! We are renting a car in Maui for a WEEK with the last two days being cruise days. So...we need to park our car somewhere and go to the airport in maui, fly to Honolulu, then cruise back to Maui to pick up our car the next morning :rolleyes:. I was thinking we would have to park at the airport and take a taxi.

Aloha everyone. A reminder that there are two ports on Maui. One is Kahului (a docked port), which is less than 10 minutes away from the main Maui airport, OGG. The other is Lahaina (a tender port), which is 20 or so minutes away from the small West Maui Airport (also called Kapalua Airport), JHM. The parking situation is different as well.

cruisequeen10 and annecolorgreen, would you both clarify which port? It will really help you get accurate information.

beachchick

ooh Beachchick, I wasn't thinking of that! We are cruising in to Kahului with Pride of America. Any help would be appreciated. I'm really hoping to park close to the ship so we can head out to RTH early (we would go in the first part of the trip, but our friends want to go with us and they are only cruising).

Thanks!

ooh Beachchick, I wasn't thinking of that! We are cruising in to Kahului with Pride of America. Any help would be appreciated. I'm really hoping to park close to the ship so we can head out to RTH early (we would go in the first part of the trip, but our friends want to go with us and they are only cruising).

There are numerous threads in this forum that talk about the parking situation at the pier in Kahului. I suggest you do a search. However, here is a link to one of the best ones, that shows photos of the parking areas in Maui (Kahului) and Kauai (Nawiliwili).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1202014

Thanks!

There is closeby parking at the Kahului port in Maui, but they are very limited and they get fill up quickly. They have added some more parking spots for cruisers. It's about 10 mins walk. If you ask the security guards, they'll point you in the right direction.

I wouldn't take a chance by parking overnight in the mall parking lot as it could get towed.

How did you add the extra drivers? Did they have to sign anything?

With Thrifty (and I assume other companies as well), the drivers do have to be there and sign the rental contract as well. Therefore, I only added the two extra drivers our first day in Honolulu, because my hubby and dad were there with me at the car rental. I could have added Dad in Maui (as he was also there when we were dropped off by our Road to Hana chauffeur to pick up the rental car), but didn't. At all other ports, I was the only one who went to pick up the car, so I was the only driver. Still, knowing that I had the option to add those two extra drivers for free was great, even if I ended up not using it.

With Thrifty (and I assume other companies as well), the drivers do have to be there and sign the rental contract as well. Therefore, I only added the two extra drivers our first day in Honolulu, because my hubby and dad were there with me at the car rental. I could have added Dad in Maui (as he was also there when we were dropped off by our Road to Hana chauffeur to pick up the rental car), but didn't. At all other ports, I was the only one who went to pick up the car, so I was the only driver. Still, knowing that I had the option to add those two extra drivers for free was great, even if I ended up not using it.

Thanks for the info!

The rental car company will have shuttles to pickup/drop off to the pier.

In Honolulu, we rented from Thrifty airport location. When we arrived in Honolulu, I took their airport shuttle to their rental office. The day we board, I dropped off the car and took their pier shuttle--no need for taxi.

There were about dozen or so parking spaces at the NCL pier, but I'm not sure if you can park there overnight. If you're cruising with NCL, you might want to contact their customer service to find out.

Someone else said on a different thread that Thrifty no longer shuttles you at Nawiliwili. Is that where you were? And Thrifty does provide a shuttle to the pier in HNL? Just needed verification.

Thanks!

Someone else said on a different thread that Thrifty no longer shuttles you at Nawiliwili. Is that where you were? And Thrifty does provide a shuttle to the pier in HNL? Just needed verification.

Thanks!

That wasn't true (about Nawiliwili) in May 2010--has something changed since then? I took a cab to go pick up my van because the lines for the shuttles were too long. That also got me the name and phone number of a local cab driver in case I needed it later (plus a lot of good advice, directions, etc.).

As for Honolulu--yes, Thrifty provides a shuttle to the pier, about every 15 minutes from their airport location. I also understand they do so from their Waikiki location, but less frequently. Because the two locations are about equidistant from the pier, I opted to return the car to the airport location and save the $30 drop charge.

That wasn't true (about Nawiliwili) in May 2010--has something changed since then? I took a cab to go pick up my van because the lines for the shuttles were too long. That also got me the name and phone number of a local cab driver in case I needed it later (plus a lot of good advice, directions, etc.).

As for Honolulu--yes, Thrifty provides a shuttle to the pier, about every 15 minutes from their airport location. I also understand they do so from their Waikiki location, but less frequently. Because the two locations are about equidistant from the pier, I opted to return the car to the airport location and save the $30 drop charge.

Thanks! That's a great idea about taking a cab in Nawiliwili to save waiting for the shuttle. Where on Kauai did you drive? Was parking an issue at the popular overlooks/spots?

Archived