Suggestions for Quebec City?

We will be taking a Canada/New England 14 day cruise in September (Celebrity Summit) and have not yet booked tours in either New England or Canada. We've been to several of the ciites previously (Boston, Newport), but don't know much about the Canadian cities especially Quebec City where we spend 2 days. Any "must see" suggestions? My wife currently is recovering from plantar fasciitis which makes walking long distance a bit more difficult. Of couse this complicates our sightseeing. Any help would be appreciated.

We will be taking a Canada/New England 14 day cruise in September (Celebrity Summit) and have not yet booked tours in either New England or Canada. We've been to several of the ciites previously (Boston, Newport), but don't know much about the Canadian cities especially Quebec City where we spend 2 days. Any "must see" suggestions? My wife currently is recovering from plantar fasciitis which makes walking long distance a bit more difficult. Of couse this complicates our sightseeing. Any help would be appreciated.

Good supportive sneakers with steel inserts should enable her to walk in relative comfort. She can get the steel inserts from her foot doctor. I have had plantar fasciitus for almost 2 years now and with this support I feel almost like normal. As far as the ports go, there is a lot on this board about what to see and how to do it. If you are in Quebec City for 2 days, I would suggest getting out in the countryside for part of the time. We took the countryside tour with https://www.toursvieuxquebec.com/fr/page/accueil

Click on Old Quebec Tours to get English.

For Halifax, a half day tour could take you to Peggy's Cove and Fairview Cemetery (Titanic graves). We had a great tour with Halifax Tours.

For Bar Harbor, Oli's Trolley. Take the 2 1/2 hr. one because it includes the coastal road. http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/

Thanks Travelbig, actually my wife has been treated for her plantar fasciitis by our podiatrist for several months and after physical therapy, exercises and orthodics she is doing much better. She is still limited but I appreciate your suggestions. Did you travel in September and if so what was the weather like? If you have any clothing suggestions, that would help also. I hate packing a lot of extra clothes.

Our cruise didn't start till Oct. 23 from Quebec City. Really quite chilly. There was a blizzard the day before we flew in and snow was 4 inches deep everywhere, but this is not the norm. The point being is that there is no way to tell how the weather will be until right before you go and then check it on weather.com for a guide. You can also search for the weather history for each port to get an idea. We always dress in layers and I always pack umbrellas too. We have never done this itinerary in September, so I can't guide you there. Good luck with your wife's pain. I have gone thru all the treatments, too, and my next option is surgery. UGH!! Have a great cruise. All of the tour suggestions I made have a lot of sitting.

September weather last year was better than July; you can get snow, but much rarer in Sept. than in October.

Quebec is the perfect walk-off-the-ship-and-wander port; lots of shops and restaurants in the port area, the Museum of Civilization opposite the dock for rainy days. You can either walk up the (steep) hill to get to Upper Town, take the funicular, or ride on the Ecolobus, a small electric bus that runs along the main tourist areas (used to be free, now costs $1 per ride).

Problem is, Quebec is really a walking city. If your wife can manage a few blocks, there is a street behind the Museum of Civilization called rue St. Paul which is pleasant and lined with antique shops (and has a few benches here and there for taking a rest). You should take the funicular up to the Dufferin Terrace, a boardwalk in front of the Chateau Frontenac, where you can look down on the roofs of the lower town, and see your ship. If you can manage it, a walk along rue Saint Louis from the hotel to rue Sainte Ursule will give you a sense of the upper town. Walk down rue Ste. Ursule (a downhill walk, but rather steep) to rue St. Jean, which is a main shopping area, and extends through a gate in the city wall. You can pick up the Ecolobus on St. Jean and it will take you back to the dock.

Two cautions about the Ecolobus - it is very small, and there is a good chance of having to stand. And it runs somewhat irregularly; give yourself a lot of time to get back to the ship. A route map is at http://www.rtcquebec.ca/DesktopModules/HoraireTrajet/Controls/Images/Plans/R_Ecolobus_V7.gif (Gare Fluviale is the ferry terminal next to where the ship docks)

I can't do a lot of walking, so we took one of the horse drawn carriage rides through Vieux Quebec. It was $80 for the 2 of us. We found it very interesting and informative and really enjoyed it. We were there on one of the cold October days, and the driver had 3 warm blankets to cover us. As a way to see Vieux Quebec without a lot of walking, I would hghly recommend it. You won't see it all, but it does give you a good overview.

I have always dreamed of taking the horse drawn caleche. Maybe when I can no longer walk, I will get to do so. It should give you a good idea of the city and then you can reserve your walking for the places you want to go.

For sure the lower town below the Chateau Frontenac and the boardwalk has some wonderful shops.

I go to Quebec almost every year and my favorite restaurant is Le Patriarche.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Since this is a 14 night cruise, we do hit all the east coast ports including Portland, Maine. I have heard it is worth going to see Kennebunkport there and had planned to take that tour, but I will look over the Mainefoodie tour. As far as Quebec City, I would think we could do some walking to see the city as long as the rue St. Paul is fairly close to the port where the ship docks. If not, I assume taxis are available. Since we are there overnight, we should have time to get a good idea of the city. I have heard it is a wonderful place to visit.

Also appears thsat I willl need to do more packing than usual since this will not likely be a warm weather trip. I expected that.

Archived