Pre-cruise hotel in HK?

almostnewtocruise

I have stayed in Hong Kong and let me suggest that you go to Trip Adviser at tripadviser.com

There you wil find lots of hotels with many reviews and you can then sort out the prices.

This is waht we have done and I find it a good approach. Then when you narrow down the list to two or thee hotels I would post it here to see if anyone can give you there experiences.

Keith

Keith, at this point TripAdvisor will be useless for me. Too many variables in a place I know really NOTHING about :confused: ... its topography (somebody mentioned hills?).. what and where is a "good location" (like that YMCA hotel - thanks Greatam!) etc etc..

What I would like is few suggestions at different price brackets (no need to go to "extremes" - on either side!:o).

Then I can look them up and try to decide what suits me.. (And it will help me figure out where to look further..)

thanks anyway..

Miriam

Miriam, here's a hotel to check out. It is in the middle when it comes to pricing. It is not the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong which is high end but it is not the YMCA which to me is lower end. It is in the middle in terms of price. We enjoyed it and it is located right next to the Cruise Ship Terminal. Take a look at it to see if it might be in your price range.

Keith

The location of the YMCA hotel is good. The rooms though have a feel that are more of a dormitory look so just be aware.

Keith

The Salisbury Hotel (YMCA)

Certainly not the rooms we've stayed in, Keith, they've been the same as your average 3-star/3-starplus, decent size, good bathroom, usual facilities. Ditto reception, with very helpful staff. No restaurant, at least not what I'd call a restaurant, but ok for breakfast/coffee & plenty of restaurants close by.

I'd be inclined to ignore the "YMCA" name, you wouldn't notice the connection unless you ventured onto other floors. Its just an excellent value hotel in a great location on the tip of the Kowloon peninsula- 100yds from the main Star Ferry terminal and the main cruise ship terminal (The Tsim Sha Tsui terminal, not the very recently opened one on HK island) & 5 mins from Nathan Road. And on the waterfront Salisbury Road - super harbour views from floors 11 upwards (The Space Museum blocks the view from lower floors).

Next door to the Peninsula Hotel.

I think the Peninsula may be a tad more expensive :rolleyes:

Central hotels on the Kowloon side are pretty-well all on level ground. Ditto those on the island within 1/4 mile or so of the harbour, through Sheun Wong, Central, Admiralty, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay, North Point. It's only further away from the harbour that you leave level ground - on maps, squiggly roads give the game away

John Bull

PS If you occupy any harbour view room in HK, tune your room's radio to the commentary/music of the nightly laser show at 8pm. Makes a big difference.

The Salisbury YMCA had 2 "Presidential Suites" the last time I stayed there.

Top floor, corner rooms, with a fantastic view of Victoria Harbour.

Not elegant, but very nice, very spacious, clean, and comfortable.

My rate was US$150 per night.

The Salisbury Hotel (YMCA)

Certainly not the rooms we've stayed in, Keith, they've been the same as your average 3-star/3-starplus, decent size, good bathroom, usual facilities. Ditto reception, with very helpful staff. No restaurant, at least not what I'd call a restaurant, but ok for breakfast/coffee & plenty of restaurants close by.

I'd be inclined to ignore the "YMCA" name, you wouldn't notice the connection unless you ventured onto other floors. Its just an excellent value hotel in a great location on the tip of the Kowloon peninsula- 100yds from the main Star Ferry terminal and the main cruise ship terminal (The Tsim Sha Tsui terminal, not the very recently opened one on HK island) & 5 mins from Nathan Road. And on the waterfront Salisbury Road - super harbour views from floors 11 upwards (The Space Museum blocks the view from lower floors).

Next door to the Peninsula Hotel.

I think the Peninsula may be a tad more expensive :rolleyes:

Central hotels on the Kowloon side are pretty-well all on level ground. Ditto those on the island within 1/4 mile or so of the harbour, through Sheun Wong, Central, Admiralty, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay, North Point. It's only further away from the harbour that you leave level ground - on maps, squiggly roads give the game away

John Bull

PS If you occupy any harbour view room in HK, tune your room's radio to the commentary/music of the nightly laser show at 8pm. Makes a big difference.

John, we have friends who stayed at the YMCA while we were also there in April of 2009 so my comments were based on having walked around the hotel and having visited their room. Just didn't want you to think that they were based on making an assumption.

Like most things, we each can have differing views on this.

I know there are some who enjoy this hotel. For us, we just prefer others to this one.

Just like a movie, we don't all give the movie, the book or the restaurant the same rating.

Keith

John, we have friends who stayed at the YMCA while we were also there in April of 2009 so my comments were based on having walked around the hotel and having visited their room. Just didn't want you to think that they were based on making an assumption.

Like most things, we each can have differing views on this.

I know there are some who enjoy this hotel. For us, we just prefer others to this one.

Just like a movie, we don't all give the movie, the book or the restaurant the same rating.

Keith

Hi Keith,

No criticism intended - and we haven't stayed in every room :D

We've stayed in harbour-view rooms here for the same money as other 3-star hotels charge for smaller rooms without the view or exceptionally convenient location, and have been well-pleased.

One day, they'll cotton-on that the "YMCA" in the title unneccessarily puts a lot of people off - then they could charge higher prices & be just as popular.

My first hotel experience in HK was a harbour-view room at the 5-star Kowloon Shangri-La (the entire harbour-front wall of the room was window). Now we'll both agree it doesn't compare with that - but I think we can also both agree that it doesn't compare with a motel/budget hotel/hostel/back-packers hotel.

Agreed we all have different preferences, but I rate it HK's No 1 for value.

Regards, JB

we stayed at the YMCA in February of this year prior to our cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore on the Azamara Quest.

The room we had was a harbor view - terrific view of the nightly lightshow! Unless you are use to a 5-star hotel and like to dwell in marble halls, this hotel is a good one. Location is excellent, next door to the Art Museum, a very short walk to the subway and the dock. It has an excellent restaurant on the 5th (?) floor and a semi-sandwich shop in the lobby. It also is right across the street from the Peninsula Hotel

It also is about two blocks from Nathan Road, the principal shopping street.

We are taking another cruise on the Quest in March from Shanghai to Hong Kong and at the end of the cruise we will be at the YMCA!

Thanks so much guys - all this has been indeed very helpful!

And Tommui987 - it's a "small world"! We'll be on the same cruise, as we plan to do the B2B on the Quest in March 2011 (HK to HK in our case). But we look for a hotel for "before" and not after! (btw - have you checked our roll calls? :))

Miriam

And it's less than a block from the cruise terminal. We LOVED the Langham. It's right outside the shopping center that houses the cruise ship port. Walk a block and you are there. Pure luxury. And we got the rooms for just under $150 US a night. Worth every single cent. Central to everything (minutes from the Star Ferry and about a block from the Metro station). And Stanley Road is just around the corner.

You can find it here: http://hongkong.langhamhotels.com/

You will love it. It's worth the splurge.

Oh, when I say Best hotel we have ever stayed in, that includes the Balmoral in Edinburgh, the Four Seasons in Seattle and Vancouver and a whole bunch of others we have been lucky enough to find bargains on in the past.

Miriam - I don't know whether you've yet checked out the location of the suggested hotels but, regardless of preferences, they're all in the TST peninsula near the cruise terminal & the TST Star Ferry terminal.

That's no co-incidence.:)

JB

Miriam - I don't know whether you've yet checked out the location of the suggested hotels but, regardless of preferences, they're all in the TST peninsula near the cruise terminal & the TST Star Ferry terminal.

That's no co-incidence.:)

JB

Yes JB. I did notice that "there's a pattern here"! :)

(At least I know already for sure what will be my "location"!)

DrKoob - I am curious.. How did you manage $150 in the Langham? That's more or less the price for the YMCA!

BTW, has anyone heard about the Eaton? Somebody mentioned it to me, and I thought I'll ask you guys..

And again - thanks so much!

Miriam

In Hong Kong if you stay on Hong kong Island then anything with a harbour view will cost you big dollars, ditto with staying on the Kowloon Peninsula with Harbour view .

Our personal favourite is on the Kowloon side on Nathan Road in Jordan (nearest MTR is JORDAN) and called the EATON HOTEL . Sensational breakfasts .Approx $ 180 Aus room per night including breakfast which is cheap for Hong Kong . (Hong Kong is an expensive city.)

Details here : http://hongkong.eatonhotels.com/

There are plenty of very expensive options with harbour views and plenty of very cheap ones sandwiched down back streets with rooms the size of shoeboxes .

If you have very deep pockets one cannot beat the grand old dame of Hong Kong hotels - The Peninsula (in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui shopping district on the Kowloon side) , or its slightly less expensive and more modern brother - the Kowloon Hotel just behind the Peninsula inland .

Also expensive but grand on Hong Kong island - the Mandarin Oriental.

Trust you are allowing 2 - 3 days in Hong Kong - the world's most exciting city . Australian TV viewers Griff Jones BBC Great Cities of the World features Hong Kong on Tuesday 20/07/10 at 2030 AEST .

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Kimberley Hotel three years ago and it was comfortable and reasonably priced. It was within walking distance of the Salisbury where we went to use the email and there were some affordable places nearbye for dinner. Central to a lot of different places by foot.:)

Miriam, I am so sorry.

It is the Marco Polo Hotel. It is located right near the pier in Hong Kong.

Here is the web site.

http://www.marcopolohotels.com/hotels/hongkong/kowloon/marco_polo_hongkong/index.html

Keith

Hi Miriam

We stayed in the Marco Polo 6 months ago, I agree with Keith, fantastic location, great hotel, breakfast, well, everything you could wish for, cruising to Hong Kong again next Feb/March and staying there again, by the way, it's right in the middle of everything too!!!

Enjoy!

Anne;)

Archived