What should I buy in St Thomas

pattycake08

My experience has been that the prices get lower the closer that you walk toward the door.:D
My wife quickly discovered this in Sidi Bou Said, TUNIS (N.Africa)

where a nice ceramic bowl she vaguely expressed an interest in, and was originally priced at 50 Euros

dropped considerably to 15 Euros, after she left the store.

he came running after her!

TUNIS-557.jpg

Grand-daughter Ashley was quite impressed at her Gran's (unwitting) "negotiating skills"

-but truthfully, Gran just got ticked-off at all the danged haggle-haggle and had walked out on the guy!

She bought it for the 15 Euros, and it's now in our living room!

We go to A.H. Riise for liquor and perfume. For jewelry we have been sent to Imperial Jewelers. They are on "Main Street" . They were recommended to us by friends who have a time share in St. Thomas. Every time you go there you find people that have been dealing with them for years. They will negotiate their prices. They are known for diamonds. Also have gold, and the caribbean hook bracelet (silver). Don't know how much you want to spend, but check them out.

Was just on a cruise and bought a Parazul handbag which I just love (and can only be found in the Caribbean). Bought that at Diamond International, again on Main Street.

Just walk around and you will find many things. Enjoy your shoppping experience.

I love the Parazul handbags and scarves! Online they run between $250-$350. Can you get a better deal at Diamond International? Thanks

I love the Parazul handbags and scarves! Online they run between $250-$350. Can you get a better deal at Diamond International? Thanks

I love the Parazul handbags on-line, as well. Can you bargain and ask for another 15 - 20% off in a shop in port? What's the best store for price in STT for these handbags? So many stores and so little time in port!

Another thing - someone said on one of these boards that sometimes you can find perfume or cosmetics for the same price and possibly better than shops in port. Has anyone purchased perfume, for instance, on a Princess ship gift shop (while in the caribbean) for less than a port/town store? I'm considering purchasing a Guerlain fragrance ("Insolence") while in STT or Phillipsburg. Any advise?

The handbag I bought was less expensive at Diamond International. Also bought the port book at the port show on the Oasis. There was a coupon for a free scarf. So I got the handbag, which came with a scarf, and another scarf free (my choosing) I think we paid about $190 for everything. This was the first I heard of these handbags, love the bag and get many complements.

Going to Bermuda next June and found out they are sold there also. Will have to check them out. Hopefully the prices will be good there also.

The Parazul handbags look beautiful! Did you "bargain" for yours, or are their prices firm? Have you ever purchased cosmetics in either St Thomas or St Maarten? I'm wonderfing if the MAC or Estee Lauder prices are firm; is it unacceptable to offer lower?

Can not bargain for the purse at Diamond's International. Did buy perfume in St. Thomas. No bargaining there either. Did purchase it at AH Riise. Still good prices.

• 4 years later...