New Orleans Amtrak Station

sloth

For those familiar with New Orleans, we would appreciate some help! First time sailing out of NO, and taking Amtrak back home.

When we disembark the Triumph, ( I assume it will be early to mid morning), what are some ideas to entertain ourselves for a few hours? Our train won't leave until about 1:30 pm...if we take a cab to the train station to drop off our luggage, are there then things to do/see/places to grab lunch within walking distance of the Amtrak Station? It will be myself, DH, and DS's ages 23 and 20.

Thanks in advance!

Cindy

For those familiar with New Orleans, we would appreciate some help! First time sailing out of NO, and taking Amtrak back home.

When we disembark the Triumph, ( I assume it will be early to mid morning), what are some ideas to entertain ourselves for a few hours? Our train won't leave until about 1:30 pm...if we take a cab to the train station to drop off our luggage, are there then things to do/see/places to grab lunch within walking distance of the Amtrak Station? It will be myself, DH, and DS's ages 23 and 20.

Thanks in advance!

Cindy

Cindy,

I can't think of anything close that is within walking distance and fits your needs. Here are a few suggestions for you depending on what time you disembark, taxi to the Amtrak Station and are able to take care of your luggage:

Take a 5 (if that) minute cab ride to Emeril's Delmonico on St. Charles and have a leisurely lunch. The gumbo's out of this world. :D

Take a short cab ride (5 minutes tops) to the Riverwalk and window shop, have lunch overlooking the Mississippi River and then get back in plenty of time. The Riverwalk is close to the railroad station but not within walking distance.

If you get done with your luggage any earlier you'll have plenty of time to taxi to the French Quarter to sightsee if you want.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

Thank you so much for your suggestions, Jorge! Sounds like a quick taxi ride will give us quite a few options.

We look forward to exploring New Orleans for the first time.:)

Cindy

• 4 months later...
Are there taxis readily available at the station and French Quarter?

At the station yes!

When we got to the train station last April, we realize that we forgot one of our bags when we left the holding area prior to clearing customs.

Since we had a few hours prior to the train leaving, I headed back to the port area. There were three or four taxis right outside the station waiting for fares.

Archived