Santorini-Fira-cable Car

fiyero

Hi

Just thinking about options when we get there.

We are with Celebrity.

Is this a tender dock?

Also where do you get dropped.

We are looking to do to the cable car, and Fira (possibly Oia)

Is the cable car and Oia right by where you get dropped

thanks

what would be a nice non-strenuous day?

Here's a map of Santorini.

It is a tender port, and you will be dropped off at Skala Fira (unless you do a ship's tour, and then you will be taken to Athinios to board a bus there.) At Skala Fira the cable car takes you up to the town of Fira.

From Fira, you can go by bus or taxi to Oia (some people hike it, but it's 6 miles.) Here's another map with directions from Fira to Oia.

Not sure how non-strenuous you prefer, but you could stay in Fira (not something I would recommend), take a taxi to Oia (or bus) - better than staying in Fira, or do a ship's tour (if you want to have more options.)

We rented a car for the day.

It's a beautiful island ... enjoy!:)

You will get dropped off at the base of a cliff in a dock area with a few shops and resaurants. It will take a while to off load your ship, probably 30-60 minutes. The only real option to get from the dock to Fira is via the cable car (the donkeys are slow and they stink, the walk is pretty steep plus the donkeys poop everywhere). The ride up provides great views! Once there, you can take a cab, bus or rental car to Oia.

Kirk

I've been to Santorini three times, with Celebrity. The first time we did an excursion (Oia and a winery), the last twice we did our own thing.

Here's a couple of blog entries form the last visit. The first covers getting tickets for the tender, and the second one is about the afternoon on Santorini itself. Also, here's the post I did from the cruise in 2007, which has some info about the cable car capacity.

Finally, here are some pictures from 2007 and from 2009. Here's a taster: Oia

600_DSC_0247_rotated.jpg

We walked around Fira for a little while then walked (easy, quick walk) to the bus station. Asked for the bus to Oia, boarded, and away we went--after a few minutes. Even the bus situation was interesting...fun to watch the people, the buses maneuvering. The bus we were on stopped momentarily in a few places for people to board. No long stops.

The bus drops you off right where you want to be to easily walk around Oia, which is a don't-miss spot IMHO, compared to Fira. It is an incomparably beautiful place...and very low-key. Beautiful scenery, lots of cafes and spots to eat with views. Lots of walking and climbing up and down the streets. Very low key day and just beyond anything we'd ever seen. Lots of nice views as you ride the bus. The next time we go I think we'll rent a car, so we can see other parts of the island, but if it is your first trip I think you'll have a full day seeing Oia and Fira, and it can be a day without stress, just toodling along. :)

I've tried asking this question to the tour guide we hired but haven't received an answer. How high off the ground is the cable car? I am very afraid of heights and wondering if this is going to be pure terror. Is there a lot of wind knocking the cable car around? We are going next September.

I've tried asking this question to the tour guide we hired but haven't received an answer. How high off the ground is the cable car? I am very afraid of heights and wondering if this is going to be pure terror. Is there a lot of wind knocking the cable car around? We are going next September.

This photo will give you an idea of height. It was quite steady when we rode on it. If you can't handle it (with eyes closed perhaps?), then you might want to consider doing a ship's tour instead.

The best option would be to sit with your back to the water. The seats face both ways. I am not keen on heights but it was ok. It is pretty steep climb up a cliff. I rode up looking at the cliff side but there ae a few spots that the car seems to barely miss the cliff going up.

Kirk

Height: well, in terms of 'directly below' - probably about 20 feet. However, it can look more than that, I'm afraid. There's isn't much wind so I always found a steady ride.

The cars are fully enclosed, so you're not sitting with feet dangling in the air. Each car has two bench seats, one facing forwards and one facing backwards, and each bench seat holds three people, so six people per car. The best thing to do is sit *facing the cliff* (i.e. facing the upward direction), even when you're coming down. This means that you'll be looking at the ground (the cliff) directly in front of you rather than out into fresh air, and if you do this it doesn't look too far away. Each trip takes about two and a half minutes, so you won't be in the car for very long.

Here is a picture of the view from the top looking down. The cable car' date=' and path up are near the top of the picture. The cars, while fully enclosed get between 50 and 75 feet above the ground, and are subject to being shaken if it is windy.

[img']http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4777571533_2cca1e68b3_b.jpg[/img]

Thank you everyone for your answers. One of the reasons I picked our cruise was because of all the wonderful things I have about Santorini. We have already booked a private tour and I don't want to miss it. I think I'll ask my doctor for some tranquilizers. The idea of facing the cliff is a good one.

Don't miss Oia - it was beyond beautiful! We did the donkeys up - it took about 20 -25 minutes, and was fun! We did this last week, and it was hot, but it really didn't smell that bad at all. I was concerned that I was going to smell like donkey all day, but we didn't. There was donkey poop along the way, but we didn't have to walk in it. I'm glad that we did it.

Once we got there we walked to the taxi stand and got cab to Oia. On the way back we tried to get a cab but none were available, so we ended up on the local bus. Not too bad, but very crowded.

We took the cable car down. It was very quick and there was no rocking at all. Have a great time - it is an amazing place!

Thank you everyone for your answers. One of the reasons I picked our cruise was because of all the wonderful things I have about Santorini. We have already booked a private tour and I don't want to miss it. I think I'll ask my doctor for some tranquilizers. The idea of facing the cliff is a good one.

UMMMM...that may not be wise. By the time a tranquilizer wears off, you'll miss the entire island! I can certainly understand a phobia. My wife talked me into a para sailing deal one time and although I hve never had a fear of heights, I was scared to death. Then I got claustraphobia in the Scavi Tour at the Vatican. Never had it before.

Not to take it lightly but if you can't get on the cable car, it would be worth walking up the cliff if necessary to enjoy the island. Strenuous but if you are physically able I'd go for it.

UMMMM...that may not be wise. By the time a tranquilizer wears off, you'll miss the entire island! I can certainly understand a phobia. My wife talked me into a para sailing deal one time and although I hve never had a fear of heights, I was scared to death. Then I got claustraphobia in the Scavi Tour at the Vatican. Never had it before.

Not to take it lightly but if you can't get on the cable car, it would be worth walking up the cliff if necessary to enjoy the island. Strenuous but if you are physically able I'd go for it.

I was with RNMCB21 out of Lakehurst for 2 years, 80-82. Bees are good people!

And you?

I was with RNMCB21 out of Lakehurst for 2 years, 80-82. Bees are good people!

And you?

Retired in'93. CEC officer.....One, Five and CBLANT. you are right....they were and still are front line, top line guys (and now gals). I was in Diego Garcia while you were in Lakehurst.

Retired in'93. CEC officer.....One, Five and CBLANT. you are right....they were and still are front line, top line guys (and now gals). I was in Diego Garcia while you were in Lakehurst.

I was a black shoe so the only billet that I could fill was admin/pers O and, of course H Company 'Commander'.

We had a dining-in at Quantico and when in my teacups I made a toast to the "Line Corp" and thereby created a new designation. Got a few chuckles from the crowd. (It is funny to watch a Gunny try and get a bunch of sailors to march in formation. It's hilarious if they're Bees! Can't be corralled!)

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that a tranquilizer may not be the best idea. I think walking up is probably your best option, it'd take probably about 20-30 minutes.

There was a person in our cable car that did have a small fear of heights. Closed her eyes for five minutes or so and then she was fine.

We also had a person on our tender that had a fear of water and small boats. Literally had a panic attack. Her husband demanded of the tender captain that the tender leave immediately because she was getting too afraid. Now she probably could have used some Xanax!

I believe if you have a ship excursion, they'll tender you to another port or to the bottom of the cable cars. But getting up to Fira is a huge part of time on Santorini, you'd be missing out if you didn't do it. Hopefully you'll find a way!

I think walking up is probably your best option, it'd take probably about 20-30 minutes.

Took us almost 45 minutes walking down, but we paused for pictures and had to work around the donkeys.

here is waht we did http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=12458204&postcount=2

My wife is afraid of heights and she was able to handle the cable car. You don't dangle from a height, but you do go up a steep hillside.

Archived