New cruiser with family

we are new to this (cruises).. wow after checking this forum (which is very informative) and then spending hours with a travel agent.... my head is spinning and I realize that cruising is a world by itself!!! We are now down with a Carnival Victory cruise...the Eastern Caribbean .. we will just have to make this first experiment and learn from it... and if we like the cruising world we will have to book our next cruise much earlier in advance and hopefully have more options...

Anyway - great forum and thanks to all for their inputs!!!

Have a wonderful time - and hope to see you back on the RCI forum for your next cruise! :)

we are new to this (cruises).. wow after checking this forum (which is very informative) and then spending hours with a travel agent.... my head is spinning and I realize that cruising is a world by itself!!! We are now down with a Carnival Victory cruise...the Eastern Caribbean .. we will just have to make this first experiment and learn from it... and if we like the cruising world we will have to book our next cruise much earlier in advance and hopefully have more options...

Anyway - great forum and thanks to all for their inputs!!!

Good! I have been on the Victory twice and we have had a great time. My grandchildren love this ship. I know from where we live the airfare to San Juan is very expensive so I hope it is better for you. What kind of cabins were you able to get??

have fun....now for the packing. Be sure to make a list.

I say stick with the FOS, and don't worry about size, location of staterooms, or about eating times. Your kid's will not care, and not worry, and the only person that will really notice is you!!!! After the first day, your worries will slip from your mind........

What time zone do you live in? Maybe 8:30 will really be 7:30 to you, since the ship will be on Eastern time. Also, you can take the kids to eat at the Windjammer buffet (Lido deck 11) early, drop them back off at Adventure Ocean (or teen club for the 12 year old), then you have a quiet dinner without the kids. Really, the late dinner just might work better for you. We have taken my wife's son and family on two cruises so far. They are on mountain time, and the ship is on central time, and late dinner is 8pm, so this works for them -- it is like it is 7pm to them. There kids last cruise were ages 12, 9, and 7, and are very well behaved -- they sit through the 90 minute dinner just fine. I don't think you'll have any problem.

Next time, book early, and try two connecting cabins -- cabins that have a connecting door between them so you can go from one to the other without going into the hallway. One needs to have either a sofabed or a pulldown upper -- the pulldown upper is probably better since it does not take up any floor space. If your kids are mixed gender, eventually you'll probably have to put boys in one cabin and girls in the other. Even then, connecting cabins would work really well. (Frankly, with the kids, you won't have much if any "romantic" time anyway. Sigh.)

Both of you need to go to Adventure Ocean to sign up your 8 and 11 year old so either of you can sign them in and out. Decide now if you want the 12-year-old to be able to sign them in and out. Your 11-year-old can even be granter permission by you to sign him/herself out, but I don't think the 8-year-old can. And there is a cerfew for kids -- 1am I think.

Enjoy your cruise.

Okay - thank you all - this forum is great and after two days of reading for hours the forum.. spending more than 3 hours with a travel agent.. we are finally booked on a cruise!!! My head is spinning after all this.. but now I am very excited and looking forward.

Initially we were for the Freedom of the Seas.. then changed mind and looked at the Carnival Victory... now we are back at the Freedom and booked!!! Yeah!!! Our room (family ocean state room on deck 2) is not great.. but I do not think we will be spending much time in there anyway (as long as we all get to sleep and recover from our day and be ready for the next one :)). I will be recovering from surgery... so, we are willing to pay more than we would on the Carnival one. I want to be able to rest and be on a boat where the kids have great fun. When we initially wanted to book the Freedom we were told that we could only have the late dining. My DH absolutely did not want that... and today - like magic - our agent was able to book a 6 pm dining seating - I really do not understand how the cruise line works this all out... yesterday there was absolutely no way to have an early dining....:confused:. Anyway, we are very happy now and cannot wait - and I will make sure to post our review! :)

Congrats! I am sure you guys are going to have a blast!!! It is true though - you are starting with a very nice ship indeed and you will get spoiled with all there is to do for everyone but it will be so worth it. And I also think that it's much better to be in one big stateroom (regardless of location) than two non-connecting staterooms with children of that age.

Now the fun begins!!!! It's actually better you didn't plan TOO far in advance, so you don't have too much time to "anticipate!"

PS - to those talking about how expensive Disney Cruise lines can be - they are BUT a friend told me that they do offer very GOOD deals on off peak times from time to time and to keep a look out for them. Right now, they are offering kids to travel free on cruises to Mexico during certain sailings!

PS - to those talking about how expensive Disney Cruise lines can be - they are BUT a friend told me that they do offer very GOOD deals on off peak times from time to time and to keep a look out for them. Right now, they are offering kids to travel free on cruises to Mexico during certain sailings!

Yeah... kids 17 and under, so teens qualify too (at the parks, 10-year-olds are considered "adults" with ticket pricing, so this is really great for Disney imo).

And Disney isn't just for little kids. Disney is for everyone!!! :)

Okay, sorry for thread jack.

Yeah... kids 17 and under, so teens qualify too (at the parks, 10-year-olds are considered "adults" with ticket pricing, so this is really great for Disney imo).

And Disney isn't just for little kids. Disney is for everyone!!! :)

Okay, sorry for thread jack.

We looked into Disney.. but my son who will be almost 13 wasn't too excited.... also, we will be visiting Disneyland next summer.... there is a limit on how much I can take the mouse... But I would definately have considered a cruise with Disney 5 years ago (just did not know about it and also would not have had the money for it...)

Rosie12345

We were in the same boat as you (no pun intended :) We were going to take the Disney Cruise 3nights, then our travel agent talked to us about the Carnival Dream 7 nights for approx the same price but our favourite ship was the Freedom of the Seas according to what it offered. So we booked on the Carnival Dream based on finances and later cancelled. We are now sailing on the Freedom of the Seas Sept 12, 2010. It is also our first time on a cruise. We are going to be travelling with our 2 daughters aged 2 and 16. We are also staying in an Oceanview on level 2. We will let you know how it went.

Robert and Michelle

you wont regret doing RC. We did RC 2 years ago then Carnival last year. My kids 14 and 15 were so bored on Carnival after being on RC. My sister was on the Dream (CCL) in Feb. she said the kids (not hers, she traveled alone) were so bored they were thowing ice cream off the back of the ship to see who could throw it farther. And that was on a brand new ship. RC just has alot more for the kids (and you) to do.

Okay - thank you all - this forum is great and after two days of reading for hours the forum.. spending more than 3 hours with a travel agent.. we are finally booked on a cruise!!! My head is spinning after all this.. but now I am very excited and looking forward.

Initially we were for the Freedom of the Seas.. then changed mind and looked at the Carnival Victory... now we are back at the Freedom and booked!!! Yeah!!! Our room (family ocean state room on deck 2) is not great.. but I do not think we will be spending much time in there anyway (as long as we all get to sleep and recover from our day and be ready for the next one :)). I will be recovering from surgery... so, we are willing to pay more than we would on the Carnival one. I want to be able to rest and be on a boat where the kids have great fun. When we initially wanted to book the Freedom we were told that we could only have the late dining. My DH absolutely did not want that... and today - like magic - our agent was able to book a 6 pm dining seating - I really do not understand how the cruise line works this all out... yesterday there was absolutely no way to have an early dining....:confused:. Anyway, we are very happy now and cannot wait - and I will make sure to post our review! :)

From the RC Site:

Family Ocean View Staterooms Cat. FO Rooms 2568 and 2268 Deck 2

Freedom Of The Seas Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), sofa and/or Pullman beds, sitting area and private bathroom. (338 sq. ft.). Stateroom can accomodate up to 6 guests.

Rosie12345

We were in the same boat as you (no pun intended :) We were going to take the Disney Cruise 3nights, then our travel agent talked to us about the Carnival Dream 7 nights for approx the same price but our favourite ship was the Freedom of the Seas according to what it offered. So we booked on the Carnival Dream based on finances and later cancelled. We are now sailing on the Freedom of the Seas Sept 12, 2010. It is also our first time on a cruise. We are going to be travelling with our 2 daughters aged 2 and 16. We are also staying in an Oceanview on level 2. We will let you know how it went.

Robert and Michelle

wow - that's funny!!! Have a great time and please let me know how it all went for you!!! Also let me know about your excursions!! That's the next thing I will have to look into. I will be very limited because of my surgery/recovery... but I want to book a few fun things for the kids and my hubby :) Bon Voyage!

Help! Our family is new to this! We just put a hold on a reservation for a 7 day cruise on the RC Freedom of the Seas. There are 2 negative points: we were only able to get a family ocean view stateroom on deck 2 (we worry about the noise)..and we were only able to get the dinner seating at 8:30 pm (this is for us too late with 3 kids)... Also, we were interested in any other family friendly cruise lines - but were told that either they are party boats (Carnival) or are geared towards younger kids (Disney).. our kids are 8, 11 and 12... Any input or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks!!

Your comment about Carnival made me smile. As if on RCI they were all in bed by 9pm and only drank iced tea ;-)

Your comment about Carnival made me smile. As if on RCI they were all in bed by 9pm and only drank iced tea ;-)

I am so glad that I am not the only one that goes to bed early. We always have had late seating and I am usually ready for bed by the time dinner is over with.

Help! Our family is new to this! We just put a hold on a reservation for a 7 day cruise on the RC Freedom of the Seas. There are 2 negative points: we were only able to get a family ocean view stateroom on deck 2 (we worry about the noise)..and we were only able to get the dinner seating at 8:30 pm (this is for us too late with 3 kids)... Also, we were interested in any other family friendly cruise lines - but were told that either they are party boats (Carnival) or are geared towards younger kids (Disney).. our kids are 8, 11 and 12... Any input or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks!!

Others have already mentioned to ask for earlier dinner seating time when you board. Ask immediately upon boarding what you need to do, where to go and what time you should come to that area with your request. Don't wait till 5pm on the day you board.

Also, if you booked through a TA ask them to request this because of your family situation.

Others have already mentioned to ask for earlier dinner seating time when you board. Ask immediately upon boarding what you need to do, where to go and what time you should come to that area with your request. Don't wait till 5pm on the day you board.

Also, if you booked through a TA ask them to request this because of your family situation.

Yes, that's what I did with the TA - and we are confirmed for 6 pm now!!

This will be much better for us all... eat and then have the fun afterwards until we collapse in bed :)

The kids should love Adventure Ocean. Cabin sounds like a nice catch actually...Royal Family Suite would be a nice upgrade, but cost could be a lot more...I did not look it up for sure.

Noise should not be too much of a problem. Enjoy the cruise.

I am sure you would enjoy Disney as well, but with the nice cabin you snagged and I figure you will be happy on the RCCL FOTS.

Archived