Ship left now what?????

KROBI

I will be taking my first cruise this December. If you are on a tour, not booked through Carnival, and the ship leaves before you get back,what do you do?????:confused:

I will be taking my first cruise this December. If you are on a tour, not booked through Carnival, and the ship leaves before you get back,what do you do?????:confused:

Get your wallet out and get a flight to the next stop or go home.

That is why you allow for extra time for a non carnival tour and you also check out the tour guide before you book it.

We tend to do our non Carnival tours as early in the morning as possible so as not to worry about being left behind.

You are on your own to make it to the next port of call for your vessel.

This past February several people, who were having just a bit too much fun in Progreso, got left behind. Fortunately for them the Carnival Triumph was in port headed to Cozumel the next day... the same port of call we were headed to. They were able to board the Triumph and meet up with our ship in Cozumel. That, however, is an exceptional event.

;)

You can try to catch it at the next port, but you will have to get there on your own. Depending upon where that is you may not get there in time. Thus as diving medic says...head for home. If you don't have a passport with you you may be up a creek or in for some bureaucratic abuse both leaving the country and returning home.

Best way to avoid this is NOT taking non crusie ship tours. Look at past crusiers experiences and the time of the tour start and projected end using ship time, not local time. Just give yourself plenty of time to get back especially if the tour is 5 or more hours and you're only in port 8 or less.

If it were me, I'd do the following:

1. Have a minor meltdown, tears and all
  2. Kick the tour provider's behind
  3. Meltdown a little more
  4. Whip out the iPhone and find transportation to the next port
  5. Cry a few tears over the cost
  6. Review the travel insurance policy that I've saved to my iPhone to see if I'm covered
  7. Have a really stiff drink
  8. Kick the tour provider one more time for good measure

In the Fun Times will be an emergency number for each port- youwill call that number--- (for what reason? I have no idea)

hopefully you have your passport coz you cant fly without it.

on every cruise I have been on-- no one ever was left behind.

with that being said- the indiviual vendors rely very heavy on word of mouth- so if they screw someone over--even one person-- many people will not book that tour.

Do NOT book any excursions that take most of your port time. (cozumel into Tulum is one example)

Take your watch with you. I notice a lot of people don't wear their watch on vacation. Keep an close eye on it and don't let time get away from you. Know when the ship is leaving and make it your goal to be back an hour before the ship leaves. That way if you are 30min late you are still able to catch the ship. I was on the Dream in Feb. and there was a newlywed couple on their honeymoon. Their "jeep got stuck in the sand" and didn't make the ship. They had to pay to fly from St. Thomas to St. Maarten to catch the ship at the next port. The cruise director gave them a bottle of champagne. That was one expensive bottle of champagne!

We thought we were going to miss the ship one time. We were literally running back, in the heat in Nassau. It was disgusting hot and we got our times mixed up. When we got to the ship we realized we still had 30 mins. Thank goodness!! But that was still a little to close for my liking. That's what we get for spending the whole day in Atlantis!

Just search you tube, plenty of videos of people standing on the dock watching their ship sail away without them.

And I have stood on my balcony and watched people running for the ship as it was pulling away from port.

Pick a reputable tour company. Check them out on these boards. They don't want you to miss the boat, this is how they make their living. I have only taken four cruises, but out of 11 excursions, I have only booked one excursion thru the ship, and I have never been late getting back to the ship.

Don't worry, just cruise and be happy. :D

Years ago, a couple missed the ship leaving Martinique. We saw them run down the pier as we sailed away.

They were able to hitch a ride with the pilot boat as it went out to retrieve the harbor captain (most likely at no small cost).

The same disclaimer that Mach stated applies here, this was an *exceptional* event.

Almost happened to me! A bling bling at a Jewelry store caught my attention at the very last minutes. I was trying to turn the sales person down, but he keep seducing me...and I keep telling him I have a ship to catch...and the bling bling was smiling at me....(idiotic on my part)

Well...long story short....I did end up paying for the bling bling for a very attractive price...just to realize...my ship is leaving in 10 mins...

I ran and ran, people were cheering on the deck...and I was 1 out of 5 people who weren't on board yet.

NCL called my cabin, and ask my friend if I am back yet. They also make announcements continuously to have the 5 missing people called the reception and make sure we are not on board already...

Now I forbid myself from walking into any bling bling store an hour before ship last boarding time.

I always book thru the ship. 1. I feel safer and 2. the boat usually won't leave with you. Often, they aren't really much more $ to go thru the ship. I'm in a foreign country where I have no rights and anything can happen. I call the extra $ an insurance policy. When I did a dolphin excursion, I found the ships price was actually a couple dollars less than the advertised price thru the dolphin facility so why book on your own.

I was on a cruise where the Capt. waited for a while because the girls who were late getting back were in their late teens and the mother was on the ship having a major meltdown. One of the girls wandered back to the ship and we still waited. The Capt. said they were too young to leave behind (I asked him during the Cigar Social that night).

The best person in that whole thing was the pedicab driver, the pier is very long in Cozumel and he rode as hard as he could to get the last girl to the ship.

And then one of the dock guys made the poor guy ride him back down the pier.

If you miss the ship it is because of poor planning on your part.......give yourself plenty of time to get back and you will be ok........

Most people that miss the ship are probably 100 yards away from the ship at a bar getting hammered.......not because of a independent tour......

. . . Fortunately for them the Carnival Triumph was in port headed to Cozumel the next day... the same port of call we were headed to. They were able to board the Triumph and meet up with our ship in Cozumel. That, however, is an exceptional event.

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious (given this is in the Carnival section), but was the ship you were on also a Carnival ship? Just curious and wondering if a different cruise line would drop you off in that situation? That would make for good "PR".

"Carnival ship rescues stranded NCL passenger left behind"

Archived