Christmas Cruise on the Princess Grand

Lorieliz

With a pre-teen and a teen. 14 nights, two cabins, Caribbean. We depart the 20th of December and return of the 3rd of January.

The more I google, the more afraid I get...lol. This is our first cruise. It will be the first time that this Canuck has dipped below Philadelphia. One who has never seen (never mind put a toe in) any ocean.

I am so terrified that I my "dream" holiday is going to turn into a nightmare because I have NO idea what to expect.

Any advice?

Almost each person that we know was worried whether or not they made the right decison about taking their first cruise. Many think they will be bored and don't know what to expect.

What most find is that they love it and don't want to get off the ship. And they end up booking another and another and another cruise.

Expect to have a wonderful time. It's a nice time to get away where you will find great weather in the Caribbean while you are spoiled by the crew on the cruise and everyone will be in the spirit of holiday.

Keith

Welcome to CC and to cruising. You are making the right decision IMHO in getting 2 cabins rather than trying to stuff everyone into one. The Grand Princess is a beautiful ship with lots of things to and see and I doubt very much that any of you will be bored during your cruise.

Holiday cruising has a disadvantage in that you pay premium prices to be put on an almost for sure full ship. The ships do decorate for the holidays and depending on where you are on Christmas eve you might have a visit from Santa in a helicopter like we had in St Thomas on our 2nd cruise. He didn't land on the ship just flew by as we sailed out of the harbor.

The weather should be a big improvement on what it will be in Canada during that time (think shorts and swimming suits rather than coats and gloves).

Start checking out the port of calls forums for the various ports you will be visiting to find out about the variety of shore excursions that will be available.

Also check out the Princess board where you will also be able to find out a lot of info on Princess and the Grand.

Enjoy your first cruise and use CC members to get advice and support. That is why we are all here.

Have a great first cruise.

You need to jon the roll call for your cruise. This is a great way to meet others sailing with you.

To join, go to the boards menu and scroll down to Roll Calls. Click on your cruise line. Then click on your ship. Finally, click on the thread for your sailing.

You've picked a wonderful cruise. We started cruising over Christmas a few years ago when my sister and I were 16 and 14 (instead of getting a living room full of presents, we got money to spend in ports) and it was the best decision we made. I've never been on a Princess cruise, but I've read raving reviews.

You are completely taking the plunge with a 14-day, though.

If you're really worried about the water and whether or not you'll enjoy cruising, you might try taking a baby starter cruise. There are some great deals right now on some 4-night Caribbean cruises. Find a last-minute deal on a cheapo cruise and give it a try. If it's a complete disaster and you realize that you hate cruising, you can cancel the 14-day and save a lot of money. However, I think you're going to love it.

Enjoy your vacation!

Archived