st petersburg visit

rob63

There's slews of reviews of places to see in St P on here - but the huge don't misses in my book are Church on Spilled Blood and the Hermitage. Also, a river sightseeing trip is a relaxing way to see a lot of architecure.

Weatherwise - my husband and I were there in early August and it was quite warm. Not uncomfortable, but I wore short sleeves and a skirt and sandals. Don't recall seeing a thermometer, but I'd guess maybe high 70s or maybe even low 80s. It was very sunny with no rain, but that was just lucky I guess. :)

It's an incredible pace to see.

rob62, it will depend on the days of the week too. Red October and Denrus sent us a list of the museum closings, and if some of the museums are closed while you are there, you'll need to plan around that. Also, it's my understanding from the tour guides that it's easier to get around on the weekends to see the sites due to lower traffic volume.

Best wishes to you with your planning,

Donna

I already had this post:

Well... I visited Leningrad (old name) twice. Once in 9th grade for 1 month and once in college for 1 week. I was a citizen of USSR (Ukraine) back then.

I absolutely love city and think it's the most interesting place in Russia. As much as I understand wish of many cruisers to visit Moscow during 2 days stop in St.P port I would not recommend this at all. St.P offers much more in terms of history and arts. (and I visited Moscow 8 or 9 times ;) )

My favourite Places and tours:

1) City tour ( including St.Issak Cathedr., Kazansky Cathedr.,Peter and Paul Fortress, Summer Garden, Nievsky Prospect etc)

I also had a tour "Rivers and Bridges of St.P" but I understand you won't have time for everything.

2) Museums: Hermitage , Russian Arts (again this one if you have time ,but I loved it!)

3) Palaces and parks: Petrodvorets (Peterhoff) , Catherine Palace (in Pushkino), Pavlovsk , Oranienbaum/Lomonosov

I highlighted a MUST see places.

If you have any questions please ask.:)

I already had this post:

Well... I visited Leningrad (old name) twice. Once in 9th grade for 1 month and once in college for 1 week. I was a citizen of USSR (Ukraine) back then.

I absolutely love city and think it's the most interesting place in Russia. As much as I understand wish of many cruisers to visit Moscow during 2 days stop in St.P port I would not recommend this at all. St.P offers much more in terms of history and arts. (and I visited Moscow 8 or 9 times ;) )

I will agree with your recommendation to maximize your visiting time in St Petersburg but a lot of people are curious about Moscow. Moscow is one of the world's great cities but it is not a great tourism city. If someone has a lot of time, and a lot of money, it can be very exciting, fast paced, trendy, over-the-top decadent and home of more 12 cylinder Mercedes S600s than anywhere in the world. I always had fun visiting but found it to so preoccupied in being modern and conspicuous in its consumption that it always left me feeling empty after leaving, as if it has no soul or spirit...sort of like the differnence between L.A, and San Francisco, exceot it is al lot more expensive. I've visited night clubs there filled to the rafters where the cover charge was $500/person AFTER paying a $3,500 membership fee( no I didn't, I was a guest of a record company president) and that was not even the upper price range of clubs. If only two days were available I would suggest visiting one or the other but not waste the valuable time traveling back and forth.

If I was recommending a second city it would be Kiev in your old home country: history, beauty and warmth of hospitality sum it up.

My favourite Places and tours:

1) City tour ( including St.Issak Cathedr., Kazansky Cathedr.,Peter and Paul Fortress, Summer Garden, Nievsky Prospect etc)

The city tour is the quickest way to realize it is not a typical tourist destination. Normally it would include Vasilievski Island also for the Naval Museum, 12 Colleges, Rostral Columns, Kunstkammer, etc. Also visiting Alexander Nevsky Larva with its cemetary with the country's most famous composers, writers and artists buried there, and the beautiful Smolny Convent, bridges, Arts Square, Bronze Horseman, Senat, Admiralty and more will be oovered by most "city tours" by van or bus.

I also had a tour "Rivers and Bridges of St.P" but I understand you won't have time for everything.

I would add this to my recommendations for must sees and do whenever I have friends come from the US or Europe.

2) Museums: Hermitage , Russian Arts (again this one if you have time ,but I loved it!)

The Russian Museum for art fans is definitately a must see but it might be a bit much for casual tourists, now it has 4 buildings including the recently reopened Mikhailovsky Castle(some times called the Engineers Castle)and if time, one of the art institutes. History buffs will want to visit the Artillery Museum, the largest military museum in the world, and any number of historical exhibitions and monuments some dedicated to the Seige during WWII which is needed to visit to understand the unique character and spirit of the city. I would add Mariinsky Theater if at all possible. Even for those not interested in ballet or classical performances, the building itself is well worth the side trip.

3) Palaces and parks: Petrodvorets (Peterhoff) , Catherine Palace (in Pushkino), Pavlovsk , Oranienbaum/Lomonosov

Yes must sees. But also there is others to consider, the Strelna Palace was in ruins last time you visited but after $25,000,000 in restoration it is the new St Petersburg residence for the president and one of the grandest of grand palaces. City center palaces such as the Marble Palace, Yusupov Palace, Strogonovsky Palace, Anichkova Palace( I love the gardens as a city center retreat from the bustle of Nevsky prospekt onto which it faces) and distinctively RED colored Beloselskiy-Belozerskly Palace next to the famous Anichkov Bridge

If you have any questions please ask.:)

Ok Tatka, where are you from in Ukraine? I really love Ukriane, particularly Crimea and Kiev but all of it is interesting and fulled with wonderful people.

Thanks

Stan

Thanks for the posts. They are very helpful. My husband and I will be on the Star Princess in mid July.

I'd like to learn more about the rivers and bridges tour mentioned. I've read about the canal tour. If we only have time to see 4-5 bridges, which ones do you recommend? We were in St. Petersburg about 4 years ago for 3 days and saw the major sites. While we want to go back to some, we want to see some new sites too. It must be wonderful to be there long enough to really get to know the parks and museums.

I'm very interested in stanj's information about the metro trip to the Russian food market. Do they have any other products than fresh produce and meats?

I am interested in Yeliseyev's, Gostiniy dvor and any other shopping/looking areas on Nevskiy prospekt. What are your thoughts on this?

It looks like a long stretch to walk from Anichkov most to Literaturnoe Cafe, how long would it take an average walker if the person didn't stop anywhere?

Thanks again for everyones help. Marlyne

I'd like to learn more about the rivers and bridges tour mentioned. I've read about the canal tour. If we only have time to see 4-5 bridges, which ones do you recommend? We were in St. Petersburg about 4 years ago for 3 days and saw the major sites. While we want to go back to some, we want to see some new sites too. It must be wonderful to be there long enough to really get to know the parks and museums.

Hi Marlyne

There are over 600 bridges and each one is unique so it is not hard to find those of interest. Taking an canal tour will let you see an overview....well, actually a underview since you will go under the bridges...of the central water routes that at one time were the business and transport arteries of the city. The large bridges would not be seen however because they all traverse the various branched of the Neva River. A river cruise, which depart every 30-45 minutes from docks in front of the Hermitage or Admiralty would be a good way to see those. One of the best ways however is to walk over them. The walk over the Dvortsovy Bridge from the Hermitage to the Spit of Vasilievski Island will be well worth the short walk offering great views and a great destination. Within a short walk on the island are many "ought to sees" including the Kunstkammer, Menshikov Palace, St Petersburg University, the Naval Museum ( in the classic style old Stock exchange), the Rostral Columns( which offer great views of the Palace Embankment across the the River and Peter and Paul Fortress.

I'm very interested in stanj's information about the metro trip to the Russian food market. Do they have any other products than fresh produce and meats?

There are markets all over the city of different types but I assume you are most interested in those original farmers market style with many independent vendors selling home made or home grown food products. The one in the most city central is the one I described before, Kuznechly rynok(rynok is the Russian word for market), next to Vladimirskaya Church and the metro of the same name. It is an indoor market with dozens of small vendors in sections specializing in a particular type of food product...fish section, fruit, mushrooms, pickles(yes a whole section of just pickles of every variety imaginable), cheese, red and white meats, dried and smoked products etc. Additional sections are for home care products and even clothing. I enjoy wandering the market tasting free samples of fruit and pickles. Here, many visitors try to dicker with the vendors since it looks like a place you can do that but I think you will find the prices are adjusted continously anyway to reflect the competiton in their section so you will get the lowest price anyway. Prices are LOW and the products are tasty and fresh in the mushroom, fruit, vegetable and fish sections but I am not crazy about how the meat and fowl is handled so I'm a little wary of those. I never hear of food derived health issues so I guess the meat handling is fine, it is just not as appitizing as in my local butcher shop. The prepared sasuages however look and taste great with 30-70 different types on display.

Other markets range from open air types to super store grocery stores with a bizzilon square feet out in the suburbs but this one is a good one to try.

On the other hand, if you want almost anything from used clothing to new computers and a million other offerings, head to Apraksin Dvor east of Gostiny Dvor on Sadovaya Street. New shoes and clothes can be had for about as low of prices as seen in the city. There are hundreds of stalls and on weekends, thousands of shoppers crammed into its narrow walkways. I've gotten dress shirts for as little $2, cotton made in Turkey or leather boots for $15. Here you can bargain to your hearts content. It has a seedy image but it is facinating for people watching and seeing real Russian life.

I am interested in Yeliseyev's, Gostiniy dvor and any other shopping/looking areas on Nevskiy prospekt. What are your thoughts on this?

It looks like a long stretch to walk from Anichkov most to Literaturnoe Cafe, how long would it take an average walker if the person didn't stop anywhere?

This walk is facintating and well within the stamina of most walkers but it will take a long time because there is SO much to see and the crowds strolling either side of Nevsky can be quite dense. The cafes, shops, courtyards, parks and churches along this route will have you stopping often. The whole area from the Anichhov Bridge to the Amiralty is exciting and beautiful either along Nevsky or any of the side or parallel streets. If I am in a hurry and do not stop I can make it in 15 minutes but that is rare that I can do that withoout stopping to watch street artists, musicians, buy from ice cream carts or just people watch. I am single so the views on Nevsky pr of stylish beautiful women strolling or hurrying along for shopping is one of the great pleasures;>) I think more fashion models have been discovered on the sidewalks of Nevsky pr than anywhere on earth.

When you are traveling this route and see an interesting building or courtyard or park stop and explore it, it will turn out to be well worth the diversion. For example stopping for the street artists and food carts just north of the Anichkov Bridge you will discover the wonderful park like grounds of Anichkov Palace, the park with the famous monument to Catherine the Great, the classic design of Aleksandrilinsky Theater, across the street Yeliseyev's spectular "market". This last one is not like any mere store selling candy, wine and fruit, it is the worlds best examples of Style Moderne design. Next to it is the pedestrian street Mali Sadovaya with its fountains and outdoor cafes, Gostiniy Dvor, the Armenia Church, the Grand Hotel Europe, Kazan Cathedral and directly across the street on the most beautiful buildings in the city, the recently restored Dom Knigi (House of Books) and from the same spot, one of the most famous views of the Church on Spilt Blood, Stroganov Palace and the Moika River. I am not sure how anyone could ignore all this and keep a steady pace to reach the Literary Cafe without stopping. Nor could I imagine why you might want to;>)

A new shopping center just down the street from Passazh shopping arcade os Grand Palace. It is very modern inside with high end shops and quite attractive. So within one block you have the hundreds of shops in Gostiniy Dvor, the dozens of shops in Passazh and additional dozens in Grand Palace so shopping not much better than this one block.

For this type of wandering you will either need to book a private tour with one of the tour companies or get tourist visas to go off on your own..... it is well worth the effort to get visas.

If you have any other specific questions just ask here or privately.

Good sailing

Stan

I'm sure I wouldn't be able to walk more than a couple steps before stopping. My husband and I love to take pictures and take in all the sights. I just wanted an idea of distance. I definitely want to get that famous view of the Church on Spilt Blood. It sounds as if we could spend the whole day just walking in this area. We visited the interior of St. Isaacs and want to do that again. What do you recommend for other churches/cathedrals? I was thinking I'd like to see St. Nicholas, Kazan Cathedral and Church on Spilt Blood. The Dom Knigi sounds like a place we will want to see. There is definitely not enough time to see everything. I think we will hire Den Rus to help us make the most of the day we have.

We will be with a University group on Tuesday touring Hermitage and other city sites. Monday we will have on our own.

Thanks again for all of the ideas.

Marlyne

Ok Tatka, where are you from in Ukraine? I really love Ukriane, particularly Crimea and Kiev but all of it is interesting and fulled with wonderful people.

Thanks

Stan

I am from Kharkiv (Kharkov, Charkow, Harkov ... I am really confused with all these different spells;) ) .

Kharkiv was founded in 1656 as a fortress protecting Moscow from the Tatars. City has some really nice cathedrals and churches, but Kiev has more of them.

Somehow I wasn't be able to find nice page with pictures...but try this link.:)

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3F_adv_prop%3Dimages%26fr%3DFP-tab-web-t%26va%3Dkharkiv%2Bcathedral%26vf%3Dall&h=225&w=300&imgcurl=www.bridge2bride.com%2Fkh%2Fkh14a.jpg&imgurl=www.bridge2bride.com%2Fkh%2Fkh14a.jpg&size=33.9kB&name=kh14a.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bridge2bride.com%2FKharkiv.html&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bridge2bride.com%2FKharkiv.html&p=kharkiv+cathedral&type=jpeg&no=17&tt=17

Kharkov was also the first capital of Soviet Ukraine.

It's a second largest Ukrainian city with population about 1,500,000 . Home to many research and educational institutes and factories. (If you know atom has been "split" there for the first time).

However, isn't typical Ukrainian city as it's situated at North East of Ukraine and very close to Russia, majority of people speak Russian. (but understand and can speak Ukrainian language too)

Unfortunately due to my short vacation time last time I visited Ukraine and Kharkov was August 1999. It's in terrible financial situation and it's getting worse and worse now.

From what I gather Kiev has much better financial situation and is much better maintained.

My younger sister recently visited Kiev and made some nice photos http://community.webshots.com/photo/76610319/76615344zMLuHH

http://community.webshots.com/photo/76610319/76611377OxpEoQ

I also love her St.Peter's pictures http://community.webshots.com/album/153764587DJliYR ;)

I agree with you about Crimea...one of my favourite places... !!! I spend many vacations there and even met my husband (also from Kharkov) while on vacation near Yalta ;) .

Natasha

Archived