Athens in October

lyap65

Traveling to Athens Oct 5 and contemplating DIY vs Taxi tour. I've read a lot of posts about the heat in Athens during the summer months. We'll be traveling with our 2 year old daughter and although she is great in a backpack and hiking wondering what the temp is like in Athens in Oct. Hoping it's a bit cooler than typical summer months. This is our first trip to Athens so I would be interested in any insights you all may have. Thanks!

The temperatures should be quite comfortable ... around mid 70's. We've been in late September and late October ... nice weather both times, daytime temps were mid to high 70's in late Sept, and high 60's to low 70's in late October.

Weather underground provides historical weather data so that you can see exactly what the weather was on October 5th in previous years. Here's a chart from another site with average temps.

If you are going to the Acropolis, try to get there as early as possible. It's really nice to be there with fewer people (it gets very crowded by about 10:30).

If it is warm and you need a shady spot to relax for a bit, the National Gardens are next to Syntagma Square, and have some benches in shaded areas, and there is a playground there.

I would also consider going to the new Acropolis museum ... your daughter might enjoy walking on the glass floors above the ruins, and you'll find it interesting too. I'm not sure if there's enough inside to keep her entertained for long, but it's a beautiful building (and nice facilities inside), so I would try to spend a bit of time there.

The Temple of Zeus would be on my list as well because it's magnificent, and again, there is lots of space (grass) here for her to run if she needs to burn off some energy. The dogs are an attraction here if you like animals .... they laze around sleeping, and are harmless (and appear to be well looked after.)

Have fun!:)

The Temple of Zeus would be on my list as well because it's magnificent, and again, there is lots of space (grass) here for her to run if she needs to burn off some energy. The dogs are an attraction here if you like animals .... they laze around sleeping, and are harmless (and appear to be well looked after.)

Have fun!:)

I'm so pleased to see you mention the Temple of Zeus. I really enjoyed it on my all-too-brief visit when I previously was in Athens. It's high on my list to go back and spend more time there when I have more time after my upcoming cruise. :) Seems like it's overlooked by most.

Thanks so much! Lot's of great info and suggestions. I have looked at average temps on weather sites but it's always nice to hear from people first hand. I will add Temple of Zeus and New Acropolis to my 'to do' list.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived