Warnemunde area on a Sunday

Been reading all the super helpful info from Heinbloed. Thanks! I know most shopping will be closed on a Sunday. Is there anything else we should know about getting around on a Sunday. Trains still seem to run frequently.

I'm not sure whether to do Lubeck or Schwerin/Gustrow, but I'm not too worried about it since both look great. We'll be in port 14 hours.

Yes, I know this is VERY early planning for us, but I've been in a mood to research the last few days. :cool:

Been reading all the super helpful info from Heinbloed. Thanks! I know most shopping will be closed on a Sunday. Is there anything else we should know about getting around on a Sunday. Trains still seem to run frequently.

I'm not sure whether to do Lubeck or Schwerin/Gustrow, but I'm not too worried about it since both look great. We'll be in port 14 hours.

Yes, I know this is VERY early planning for us, but I've been in a mood to research the last few days. :cool:

Due to the churches' success at the German Supreme Court all seaside resorts lost their privileges to open the shops on Sundays. According to that trial the operation on Sunday should be suspended by July 1, 2010.

Regards

HeinBloed

The trains still run almost normal service on Sundays, it is a very busy travel day. Most of the tourist attractions, restaurants and museums etc. are open, their day off seems to be Monday.

Lübeck and Schwerin are both great to visit, Schwerin is slightly easier as it involves only one change of train (in Rostock) as opposed to two for Lübeck. We enjoyed Güstrow as it is not as big but even easier to reach, there are direct trains from Warnemünde. Because the travel time is shorter on one visit we managed a quick look at Rostock and a stroll around Warnemünde too.

Due to the churches' success at the German Supreme Court all seaside resorts lost their privileges to open the shops on Sundays. According to that trial the operation on Sunday should be suspended by July 1, 2010.

Regards

HeinBloed

My spies tell me that the shops in Warnemuende were open yesterday (11/07) and they have not heard anything about plans to close so I would be interested to know more about the above.

My spies tell me that the shops in Warnemuende were open yesterday (11/07) and they have not heard anything about plans to close so I would be interested to know more about the above.

See here (in German):

http://www.abendblatt.de/region/norddeutschland/article1449302/Sonntag-wird-wieder-Ruhetag.html

Since July 1, 2010 it's officially forbidden but mostly ignored until... what ever happens. I know that many people fight for it and there is a lot of resistance from all side against this rule.

We were also very glad to have a chance to shop on Sunday in Warnemünde because it became much more hotter than expected...

Of course you can try and see...

Regards

HeinBloed

You may wish to contact Dave who runs.....

http://www.friendsofdavetours.com/

We enjoyed an excellent tour of Warnemunde and Schwerin with Dave last month. His prices include Coffee and Cake in the morning - one of the best authentic German pub lunches you could try - trains to Rostock and Schwerin - entry to Schwerin Castle plus lots of fun and laughs along the way..... try him you won't be disappointed. He does have a number of different tours and it's first come first to choose which tour will be booked for the day. He has a party of no more than 15 people and his trips are a great way to experience an authentic German adventure. No money is paid up front - you pay him on the day.

let him know his friends Cam and Aud from Scotland recommended him.

Archived