Serenade of the Seas B2B June 20-July 4: My Diary

It has been reported that the free coffee coupon is for the specialty restaurant now. So...it's really for lattetudes?

Gina

Hey Gina!

Samuel was a real sweetheart. He just filled in a little bit in the CL that week, but Fe is a regular in there. She was great!

OK.....I think you are right. I got the free coffee at Lattetudes the first week with the old coupon booklet. I'm looking at the new booklet now and it says "Complimentary non alcoholic coffee beverage with purchase of dinner in any specialty restaurant" Hmmmmm......well that's not too bad, but after chowing down on Mud Pie, I don't know if I could handle a specialty coffee! You can get specialty coffees free in the D/D+ breakfast dining room.

You were right about Francois. He is a great concierge.

We were on the Serenade Christmas 2003 or 2004. Leaving St. Lucia right before dusk, the captain pulled out a mile or so and slowly spun the ship so all could see the twin Pitons as the sun set and the sky darkened. One of the best sailaways ever. I have those pictures backed up somewhere on an external hard drive. Got to load all those 5-9 year old digitals on the current crop of computers.

Hey Gina!

Samuel was a real sweetheart. He just filled in a little bit in the CL that week' date=' but Fe is a regular in there. She was great![/size']

OK.....I think you are right. I got the free coffee at Lattetudes the first week with the old coupon booklet. I'm looking at the new booklet now and it says "Complimentary non alcoholic coffee beverage with purchase of dinner in any specialty restaurant" Hmmmmm......well that's not too bad, but after chowing down on Mud Pie, I don't know if I could handle a specialty coffee! You can get specialty coffees free in the D/D+ breakfast dining room.

You were right about Francois. He is a great concierge.

I finally finished your entire review. It's fabulous.

Did Francois happen to mention when his contract will end? I hope to see him for at least one leg of our B2B in August. I think it's possible his contract may end around the same time.

I do love the coffee in the CL. It was always fun to go to lattetudes for a free one though....and one of the baked goods...or two. Not that I need to eat that kind of stuff.

The same thing happened to us once when we didn't go to the repeat cruiser's party....the only time we didn't go. Someone won with less cruises than us. :(

So, now we have more than you but not many more. Do you suppose we should go just in case? :)

Gina

Edited by mommabean

I finally finished your entire review. It's fabulous.

Did Francois happen to mention when his contract will end? I hope to see him for at least one leg of our B2B in August. I think it's possible his contract may end around the same time.

I do love the coffee in the CL. It was always fun to go to lattetudes for a free one though....and one of the baked goods...or two. Not that I need to eat that kind of stuff.

The same thing happened to us once when we didn't go to the repeat cruiser's party....the only time we didn't go. Someone won with less cruises than us. :(

So, now we have more than you but not many more. Do you suppose we should go just in case? :)

Gina

LOL!!!! Yea.....I think you should go. Especially in August.....the big time cruisers usually aren't cruising then.

You know....I don't recall Francois saying when his contract was up. He really likes the Serenade, though. I hope he'll be there. And Fe, too. (pronounced ~ Fay) Please let them know that you heard all about them!!

Great pictorial review. I enjoyed reading it all. I'm glad you were able to catch a little more sun on your second week. And for now....I'll be the bigger person and not tell you how much better NC State is!! :rolleyes: I'll just settle for us agreeing that DUKE it terrible. BTW: I hope John's eye are doing better!! And just to piggy back on all your crew shout outs. Bartender Paul English from Jamacia was the best mixer we've ever had.....by the end we'd just give him a genre (sweet or fruity with rum) of what we wanted and he'd make up something wonderful. Our other servers and room attendants were great but he was the best. We normally have our evening drinks in the schooner bar area, but we met him on our first day at the sports bar so we always dropped by there when he was working, and never made it for drinks in the schooner. --Ashley

jane,our next cruise is a weekend on the majesty,aug 27th,for our anniversary.. we might do a b2b..we are very friendly with the officers and staff on the mj..we refer to them as our "rc family".had to cancel our oct radiance cruise.. most likely will have rotator cuff surgery around that time.dont want my arm in a sling for 6 weeks during hurricane season.. we live in sw florida, south of sarasota.would like to keep in touch.yes we also loved the radiance alaska cruise in "08.. here is my e-mail if you would like to contact us..mikensuenfl@yahoo.com

Awesome review! I can't wait to go on the Serenade. We are doing week 1 of your B2B and the only port I have been to before is St Martin so I am really looking forward to seeing these islands for the first time!!! Thanks for the preview!!!!

We haven't sailed out of SJ since the Serenade holiday cruise Dec 2003. Maybe we should do a B2B on the Serenade in 2011 on a non-holiday sailing. Catch a JetBlue special on airfare and go. Plus we haven't seen the Caribe since that 2003 sailing.

<<edit>>

RIP Bob Shepperd, "The Voice of God".

Edited by The Big Booper

I think this might be the best review I have seen on here. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. Loved the pictures. Looks like you guys had a blast.

You are so kind....thanks! Yes.....we always have a great time. And thanks to Cruise Critic, we have learned all the ins and outs of the islands, and of course, have met the nicest folks, some of whom have become lifelong friends!

Great pictorial review. I enjoyed reading it all. I'm glad you were able to catch a little more sun on your second week. And for now....I'll be the bigger person and not tell you how much better NC State is!! :rolleyes: I'll just settle for us agreeing that DUKE it terrible. BTW: I hope John's eye are doing better!! And just to piggy back on all your crew shout outs. Bartender Paul English from Jamacia was the best mixer we've ever had.....by the end we'd just give him a genre (sweet or fruity with rum) of what we wanted and he'd make up something wonderful. Our other servers and room attendants were great but he was the best. We normally have our evening drinks in the schooner bar area, but we met him on our first day at the sports bar so we always dropped by there when he was working, and never made it for drinks in the schooner. --Ashley

Well shoot! We missed bartender Paul English! Will have to look him next time! John has his surgery on Wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

I am enjoying your review a lot, and its helping me plan for our 30th anniversary next May. But didn't you violate the secret oath posting pictures of Quest? :D

LOL!! Well.....yeah....I fudged a little bit on that, but I don't think I gave too much away. You know Simeon asked for the exact same Quests as they asked over 20 years ago on our first one! Almost all have been that way, but on the Brilliance a few years ago.....we were totally stumped by that CD......stuff we've never heard of before! They really should change it up a little!

jane,our next cruise is a weekend on the majesty,aug 27th,for our anniversary.. we might do a b2b..we are very friendly with the officers and staff on the mj..we refer to them as our "rc family".had to cancel our oct radiance cruise.. most likely will have rotator cuff surgery around that time.dont want my arm in a sling for 6 weeks during hurricane season.. we live in sw florida, south of sarasota.would like to keep in touch.yes we also loved the radiance alaska cruise in "08.. here is my e-mail if you would like to contact us..mikensuenfl@yahoo.com

Hey Mike. I'll put your e-mail in my contacts. Thanks a lot.

Awesome review! I can't wait to go on the Serenade. We are doing week 1 of your B2B and the only port I have been to before is St Martin so I am really looking forward to seeing these islands for the first time!!! Thanks for the preview!!!!

Those are some great islands. You are really going to enjoy them.

Jane, what a FANTASTIC review! Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the Serenade.

Happy Belated 25th Anniversary!

Karen

Thanks, Karen. You should be packing by now!!! Be sure and take enough shoes!!

Jane,

Wonderful review. We were on Brilliance of the Seas last month for a 12 night Mediterranean and, as you predicted,it was fabulous. We were invited to have dinner with the Captain and I think the meals were from Chops as I had not seen anything in the MDR like what we were served and it was great. I also agree with you on cheaper flights one day after the cruise debarkation - Delta wanted $460 more to fly back from Barcelona on June 20 than on June 21. We stayed at a beach area, Castendefelles, and spending the afternoon at the beach was very relaxing and helped get ready for the 10 hour return flight to Atlanta.

I tried to download the photo from the Captain's dinner. Hopefully we can cruise together again one of these days.

1703558738_captainstable.jpg.b0bc72507c22c146147531a19217d762.jpg

Jane - questions on the Caribe Hilton. Which building did you stay in and what was the condition of the hotel in general?

Thanks

Dave.....on the front end of the trip we stayed in the main building. The room was just fine, nothing special, though. On the return we had a nicer room in the Tower......fabulous shower!! And a nice balcony and view. It's not in tip top shape, but still very nice. If you want to eat there.....it will cost you plenty. You can get a taxi to OSJ for $3 pp each way.....not bad. The pool area is super nice.....it was just so crowded that day....July 4th. I met a lady there that was living at the hotel. She said it is never that crowded normally.

The best cruises that we have taken in the Caribbean have embarked in San Juan.

Jane,

Wonderful review. We were on Brilliance of the Seas last month for a 12 night Mediterranean and, as you predicted,it was fabulous. We were invited to have dinner with the Captain and I think the meals were from Chops as I had not seen anything in the MDR like what we were served and it was great. I also agree with you on cheaper flights one day after the cruise debarkation - Delta wanted $460 more to fly back from Barcelona on June 20 than on June 21. We stayed at a beach area, Castendefelles, and spending the afternoon at the beach was very relaxing and helped get ready for the 10 hour return flight to Atlanta.

I tried to download the photo from the Captain's dinner. Hopefully we can cruise together again one of these days.

Howard!!!!.....Great hearing from you! So glad you enjoyed the Brilliance and congrats on that dinner invitation! What's next up for you? We need to get together!!

Howard!!!!.....Great hearing from you! So glad you enjoyed the Brilliance and congrats on that dinner invitation! What's next up for you? We need to get together!!

We do not have another cruise scheduled but, will be flying to Cancun on Sept. 1 for our annual Civitan service organization convention. Atop the "Bucket List" now is 14 day Australia/New Zeland cruise - guess that will be quiet a few appliances to sell at Sears. We have some good friends in Greensboro.

Howard