"Where's the Beef"

popeye0429

Hi to all !

We'll be on Pride in October, 2011 and see that David's Steakhouse is an alternate dining option. I've not read any reviews of this .. can anybody help ?

Thanks in advance .. happy cruising ! :rolleyes:

It was 2.5 hours of absolute deliciousness!!! Nuff said!! :D

It costs $30 which includes gratuity and takes about 2.5 hours but so worth it.

I hope you treat yourself.

Have been to two of Carnival's steakhouses.

Food is a cut above and service is somewhst more personal.

If you are a foodie you will like it.

We always have great service in the DR and enjoy the food so we only go for a special occasion.

To me it is only about the beef. The lobster is a frozen tail, and no matter what they do with it, it remains a frozen tail, NOT a live Maine lobster, the only true way to eat bugs.

Even the live tropical lobsters are pretty good cooked fresh.

But the beef in the Steakhouse is Aged USDA Prime grade beef. You cannot buy that same beef in a market for the $30.00 and that is raw with no sides.

The restaurant formally known as the supper club is the best 2.5 hours of eating I have ever had. The Escargot is awesome, and the 24oz porterhous is a slice of heaven. Its a must try on a ship with one. Prime beef pretty much covers it.

It is well worth $30 for a nice steak meal, but frankly, that's about the best I can say. the service was so scripted that they didn't know what to do when we asked questions or had a problem. Somehow our reservation was cancelled, and the hostess went on and on with us about how it was cancelled and are we sure we didn't cancel it. But the restaurant was nearly empty. Why not just apologize and seat us? This was literally a 5 minute discussion that she wouldn't end. They seated us in the middle of the restaurant when it was nearly empty, and the next day, while walking the outside deck, we realized so many tables were window seats. Why would they not give us a more preferable table? The soup arrived cold, and when I told the server, she didn't know what to do. I had to ask her to warm it up or replace it. We just weren't impressed. Still a deal for $30, like I said, but not all that.

I'd try it on another ship, but not on the Pride again since we enjoyed the main dining room so much.

One question for others...what do you tip in such a situation as the steakhouse where you pay $30pp?

You cannot buy that same beef in a market for the $30.00 and that is raw with no sides.

Actually you can at most Costcos during grilling season. Sorry to threadjack but wanted to pass that along to other foodies.

Prime ribeye runs $15.99/lb most weeks. Don't remember how much the porterhouse runs.

- IT Geek

:D THANKS ! ! everybody for your quick responses. I love a good steak and french fries with a salad (favorite meal). I've been known to order this meal in the MDR every nite of cruises past and have the nickname "Mr. Daddy Steak & Fries" ... YIKES !

We're going to splurge a bit and reserve a nite for this treat. I'm starving ! !

Once again .. thanks for the tips ! ! Let's get Cruising ! !

Hi to all !

We'll be on Pride in October, 2011 and see that David's Steakhouse is an alternate dining option. I've not read any reviews of this .. can anybody help ?

Thanks in advance .. happy cruising ! :rolleyes:

Plenty of reviews if you look.

Most enjoy it, some don't get it, and few don't like it, or think it's worth it.

If your palate is trained to know the difference between grades of beef, and you like USDA Prime, this is the place for you.

It's a $30 upgrade from what you are already pating for in the MDR, which includes your starters through dessert, and tip. Drinks are extra.

One question for others...what do you tip in such a situation as the steakhouse where you pay $30pp?

Per Carnival:

The $30 fee includes an appetizer, entrées, desert and the wait staffs' gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion.

Actually you can at most Costcos during grilling season. Sorry to threadjack but wanted to pass that along to other foodies.

Prime ribeye runs $15.99/lb most weeks. Don't remember how much the porterhouse runs.

- IT Geek

I went on Costco's website and checked. They show a pack of 8, 1lb Prime rib eyes at $18.75 per lb. Close enough to your quote. They show the porterhouse in Prime at $18.33 per lb.

Both excellent prices for USDA Prime. And a prime rib eye charcoaled in the back yard, FABULOUS!!!

HOWEVER

The Steakhouse serves AGED USDA Prime, not fresh cut meat. Aging [dry] involves 14 to 28 days in a closely regulated cooler, usually only used for aging [+$] Aging results in about 25% shrinkage [+$] and the ends of the rib eye are lost to mold and dryness [+$] I know the mold part does not sound appetizing. All told up to 40% [+$] lost!!

What happens in the aging process is that water evaporates from the meat. The water does not contribute to the juiciness of the meat, it only dilutes the flavor. While it is shedding the water, and concentrating the flavor,enzymes in the meat are attacking the fiber in the meat and making it even more tender.

But your post IS a GREAT one. If I had a Costco nearby I'd get some of those rib eyes for grilling out FOR SURE.

Is like the dinning room where they are small portions? If so, can you order more than one or a combination of the offerings? Just wondering. I don't think Elation has one.
No, you can only order one, but once you've eaten you cannot even imagine wanting more. We were so full, but it was amazing! Elation doesn't have a steakhouse. I am NOT a foodie, but we loved it and thought it was worth every penny. Here's a link to the menu:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/Promos/total_choice/pdf/FD_SC.pdf

Funny- I was planning on having the lobster tail when we get to Davids but after reading these posts, well its BEEF for me!

By the way can you have multiple mains like in the MDR?

NO, but the portions are much larger than the MDR.

Archived