Has Cunard really gone downhill?

Whitemarsh

After the elevator incident, I told him if he caused any more problems I'd make sure he didn't make port.

Partial quote

With respect, I must disagree with those who suggested that such statements (threats) are 'spot on' when made from one passenger to another after ship's security is alert to a problem. I would not encourage such behaviour---even after reading the various accounts that Keith posted of this incident.

Salacia

Partial quote

With respect, I must disagree with those who suggested that such statements (threats) are 'spot on' when made from one passenger to another after ship's security is alert to a problem. I would not encourage such behaviour---even after reading the various accounts that Keith posted of this incident.

Sounds like a great way to end up getting kicked off the ship. I guess they can't toss you off at the next port on a crossing though.

Partial quote

Salacia

I am not a big fan of vigilantism myself.... between the dining room incident and elevator confrontation, he seems to find himself a lot of opportunities to play caped crusader.

I am not a big fan of vigilantism myself.... between the dining room incident and elevator confrontation, he seems to find himself a lot of opportunities to play caped crusader.

Just very protective of the ship, I guess. I kind of view it as a temporary home.

Partial quote

Salacia

My partner & I were the only others on that elevator. If I hadn't nabbed him, he might have gotten away with it.

Sometimes playing the crusader(as you say)can help prevent some of these problems. I suggest everyone watch that ABC show "What Would You Do". Perhaps if we all got more involved, instead of a blind eye there would be less of these issues on land or sea.

Just very protective of the ship, I guess. I kind of view it as a temporary home.

Perhaps next time you are on board, you might request a meeting with someone in a position of authority in Security to express your concerns and offer your assistance during the voyage?

In order to maintain order on board ship I suggest we all wear badges saying - 'Behave - I might be Kieth'. Rule flouters would never know if they were about to be grabbed :D

Actually, given the prevailing demographic on Cunard it might be easier just to say "Behave or we will withhold your sanatogen"

J

Actually, given the prevailing demographic on Cunard it might be easier just to say "Behave or we will withhold your sanatogen"

J

or for the youger ones amongst us;

"or you'll be banished to Saga for the rest of your future holidays"

or for the youger ones amongst us;

"or you'll be banished to Saga for the rest of your future holidays"

And that woud be bad?

Ships are very well done, they recently sold one for scrap to a "green" scrapper..Saga took a signifigant loss by not selling the ship to traditional, non green scrappers.

Something I doubt Carnival would ever do!

From the comments I've read above there is little tolerance for those who don't agree with you...whiners etc. Not everyone loves Cunard. We had a table for six on the QM2 and because the cruise was 24 days we had 3 sets of table mates. I don't recall any "whining". When one didn't lke the food they didn't eat it. We did ask each tablemate what their favorite ship was, as all were seasoned cruisers. One couple loved the old QE2, another Seaborne, another the Queen Victoria, another the Aurora of P&0 and the last couple loved the Tahitian Princess now known as the Ocean Princess. We couldn't name our favorite ship as we have loved so many of them. None of us plan to sail on the QM2 anytime soon. Does that make all 18 of us "whiners"?

From the comments I've read above there is little tolerance for those who don't agree with you...whiners etc. Not everyone loves Cunard. We had a table for six on the QM2 and because the cruise was 24 days we had 3 sets of table mates. I don't recall any "whining". When one didn't lke the food they didn't eat it. We did ask each tablemate what their favorite ship was, as all were seasoned cruisers. One couple loved the old QE2, another Seaborne, another the Queen Victoria, another the Aurora of P&0 and the last couple loved the Tahitian Princess now known as the Ocean Princess. We couldn't name our favorite ship as we have loved so many of them. None of us plan to sail on the QM2 anytime soon. Does that make all 18 of us "whiners"?

Each forum on Cruise Critic has its share of regular posters. Most of those like that cruise line and continue to sail on those ships. Sometimes, we get a little too protective of our favorite line and have a hard time thinking that others don't like it as much as we do.

Cunard is not for everyone. That is what makes the option to choose other ships and other lines so wonderful. The QM2 is a very large ship. Large ships have both good and bad features. It is one of our favorite ships. Obviously, you did not find the ship to your liking.

In reading your posts, it seems your main complaints were the food and the service. Of course, the food is not going to change during 24 days on the ship. Did you remain at the same table for six during the full 24 days? Did you have the same waiters? If so, did you consider changing to a different table with different waiters?

I don't feel you have been "whining" about your voyage on the QM2. You have simply shared your experience. We love the QM2 and hope to sail on her again soon. However, we also like other lines, too. What ship will you sail on next? Whatever ship you choose, I hope you have an amazing cruise.

Beth

Beth,

We had the same table and waiter for 24 days. My husband made comments to the "powers that be" about the service early on the voyage. We didn't ask for a table change as we assumed service was the same through out the dining room. We did enjoy the Britannia for breakfast and lunch. Food is subjective but we felt it wasn't as good as previous cruises. The majority of the very positive comments on this board are from those cruisers who only sail Cunard and most of the negatives are from those who have sailed other ships. I think everyone needs to "broaden their horizons" and sail other ships. They may find a ship they like better than Cunard or maybe not. Our next cruise is on the HAL Oosterdam. We have never sailed the Oosterdam before but the dates, itinerary and embarkation port work for us. I think our expectations were too high and it was hard for the QM2 to live up to them.

Beth,

We had the same table and waiter for 24 days. My husband made comments to the "powers that be" about the service early on the voyage. We didn't ask for a table change as we assumed service was the same through out the dining room. We did enjoy the Britannia for breakfast and lunch. Food is subjective but we felt it wasn't as good as previous cruises. The majority of the very positive comments on this board are from those cruisers who only sail Cunard and most of the negatives are from those who have sailed other ships. I think everyone needs to "broaden their horizons" and sail other ships. They may find a ship they like better than Cunard or maybe not. Our next cruise is on the HAL Oosterdam. We have never sailed the Oosterdam before but the dates, itinerary and embarkation port work for us. I think our expectations were too high and it was hard for the QM2 to live up to them.

Unfortunately, we have found that the service does vary from table to table the QM2. We have also found that on other lines as well. I'm very surprised that the service did not improve after your husband had a word with, I assume, the Maitre' D. Too bad you did not request a table change during your 24 days on the ship.

We were booked on the same 24 day voyage and had to cancel because of a family emergency. Needless to say, we were very disappointed! Sorry we did not get to meet on the ship. We look forward to a cruise to Norway at a later time.

Enjoy the Oosterdam!

Beth

quote=Savoia;25218509]And that woud be bad?

Ships are very well done, they recently sold one for scrap to a "green" scrapper..Saga took a signifigant loss by not selling the ship to traditional, non green scrappers.

Touché Savoia!

Good to see you are on top form. But I don't think BigMac was actually criticising Saga in any way.

It's just that, among the younger members of the population over here on the right hand side of the Atlantic, it has a reputation for catering to a very elderly demographic. My sort of age goup in fact! :D:D

J

quote=Savoia;25218509]And that woud be bad?

Touché Savoia!

Good to see you are on top form. But I don't think BigMac was actually criticising Saga in any way.

It's just that, among the younger members of the population over here on the right hand side of the Atlantic, it has a reputation for catering to a very elderly demographic. My sort of age goup in fact! :D:D

J[/quote

I have seen their ships as well and find the clientel to be much older.

But their ships are far more civilized..more low key luxury than anything Carnival has given Cunard. They have one key element that Carnival has said time and again is too expensive for themselves, distinction.

In order to maintain order on board ship I suggest we all wear badges saying - 'Behave - I might be Kieth'. Rule flouters would never know if they were about to be grabbed :D

It could be the Cunard version of Dirty Harry saying 'Do you feel lucky punk?' :D

That guy had a nose like Jimmy Durante. Trust me it was easy to grab. I'm sure about the cameras as stated by Salacia, but this guy started to bolt out the door the moment it opened. I just didn't want the chance of him getting away. It was late(after 1AM)As I had stated in earlier posts this guy was an obnoxious New Yorker(from Brooklyn, we found out)Definately made Americans look bad, as there were a lot of Europeans on board. On that cruise there had been some "special" prices advertised to fill the ship.It's really a shame when Cunard(or any line)has to offer cut rate prices to fill the ship. On our first cruise back in '04 we had some real class acts from New York on our Caribbean cruise. This one guy actually pushed me & my partner out of the line when we asked the cook to do some sunny side/over easy eggs for us. Each person patiently waited their turn. This guy, however wasn't so patient. I've learned that turning the other cheek frequently gets you abused. It happened to me as a kid, but I won't stand for it today. Rude behavior that's ignored, just emboldens the perpetrator. Quick admonishment(especially in front of others)really seems to correct the behavior,I've found.

That guy had a nose like Jimmy Durante. Trust me it was easy to grab. I'm sure about the cameras as stated by Salacia, but this guy started to bolt out the door the moment it opened. I just didn't want the chance of him getting away. It was late(after 1AM)As I had stated in earlier posts this guy was an obnoxious New Yorker(from Brooklyn, we found out)Definately made Americans look bad, as there were a lot of Europeans on board. On that cruise there had been some "special" prices advertised to fill the ship.It's really a shame when Cunard(or any line)has to offer cut rate prices to fill the ship. On our first cruise back in '04 we had some real class acts from New York on our Caribbean cruise. This one guy actually pushed me & my partner out of the line when we asked the cook to do some sunny side/over easy eggs for us. Each person patiently waited their turn. This guy, however wasn't so patient. I've learned that turning the other cheek frequently gets you abused. It happened to me as a kid, but I won't stand for it today. Rude behavior that's ignored, just emboldens the perpetrator. Quick admonishment(especially in front of others)really seems to correct the behavior,I've found.

Keithm, I disagree: rude behavior is best ignored and just to test my theory, you sir, are on 'ignore'.

Keithm, I disagree: rude behavior is best ignored and just to test my theory, you sir, are on 'ignore'.

I wonder how many people have you on ignore Salacia? I'd hazard a guess it would be a good many more than have Keithm on ignore.

When it comes to being disagreeable, moralistic, over-opininated and pompous.....well you know what I'm going to say. We're all thinking it.

Archived