Just Back From Dream - Eastern - The Good & Areas for Improvement

jas1178

I think I can shed a bit of light on the decision for not doing the embarkation lunch in the aft dining room aboard Carnival Dream. The aft elevators are the main ones the crew uses that day for luggage/supply delivery, often taking up all but one.

There is absolutely zero method for those passenger in wheelchairs (or mobility challenges) to get to that dining room without the aid of an elevator. It would also be tough for those who've chosen to board with larger rolling carry-on bags.

I agree - its probably mobility and convienence. On our sailing they were using the Midship Elevators for luggage delivery and were directing everyone to the forward and aft. I am certain of this because after I dislocated my knee, and had to pickup my little one from Camp Carnival - I couldn't get there due to the elevators being used. (Kind Security Guy Got me up there in the midship ones once he realized my delima).

I don't understand why they didn't just use the midship diningroom for Lunch daily (they certainly didn't need the extra space).

I know these are getting less and less focused, so let me see if I can wrap it up. Anyone with questions, please don't hesitate to ask, and I may add a nugget or two later, but they should be my last big post.

2427718240103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

Serenity - what a great area - one of the best on any ship we have been on. Big Thumbs up here. And the no children seemed well enforced. I was impressed.

Ports of Call - (You mean this wasn't a cruise to no where?) Due to budgetary restriction and the fact we had been in these ports 2 other time in recent memory, we jumped off and shopped a tiny bit, and ended up back on board to enjoy a no lines lunch and waterworks!

The Classic Complaints - I like many of you have heard all of the questionable reviews that seem to be "HUGE CROWDS" and "SMELL ISSUES". Let me take a moment to address both of these:

Were there lines throughout the ship? Yes. We found that you could easily avoid lines all together with simple planning. At 12:30 when the Burrito Bar & Mongolian Wok have line farly long - go to Pizza or the Tandori (or the dining room). There were 4600 of us on board (with a record number of past guests (2700). Breakfast was a bit harder with the lines - but room service or the dining room was definitely options!

SMELL - Did we encounter "The Smell"...Yes. Briefly in a few cooridors and elevator lobbys - which is were I have read the majority of reviewers place it. Did it in any way affect our vacation - or was it so bad we gagged? NO! It was just an unpleasant sewer type smell...

The cruise director who is leaving 8/1 was alright. He is not a John Heald, and wasn't in our top 5 list. If I can be honest - without being hurtful - I feel like he was trying to coast his way to Vacation - and it showed. Did he do anything particularly wrong? No. Would we sail on a ship just to have him again? No. Would we sail on a ship that he's on? Sure.

Debarkation was better than usual, but still crazy.

It was a really fun cruise. I would definitely do it again if the price was right!

If you've ready my ramblings all the way through, thank you! Sorry if I got boring along the way.

Questions?

Really?!?!?! We loved Butch on the Liberty. Will this be a permanent change?

Sort of, I think. It was planned, though. Butch was listed on the 2010 schedule that came out a couple of months ago. He's going to switch out with Josh Waltzman at least through the end of the year.

Here's the schedule: http://johnheald.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/2010-cd-schedule-may-december.pdf

Wow, I totally don't like the lunch set menu thing. I prefer the very original different lunch menus each day with the three courses or so. Man, seems like Carnival is trying to be more like RCI for lunch.... I think they are better off being like Princess which has a nice lunch each day in the dining room even port days.

Thanks for the review.

I have to admit, I agree with you - I was disappointed by the new lunch menu - except the Calm Chowder and Ice Cream Sundae. THe ice cream was so good my dinner server brought me one that night when I commented on how good it was.

We did Eastern in May and lunch was not served in the dining room on Embarkation but was on Nassau since we arrived so late. They treated it as a sea day. The BBQ was not BBQ which a lot of people complained about, I think people would have enjoyed BBQ chicken, steak, instead of the Mexican tacos. They were a bit strange to me. The salad bar they set up inside to go with it at the Sushi Station doesn't get touched.

My son ate the Burrito bar for lunch 4 days, it was his favorite.

I also agree that the Fun Hubs do not get used and it contains old schedules. (Circle C schedule not even included on it)

I didn't like the layout with the smoking on the same side of the ship as the Pizza and Deli.

Too much Michael Jackson! He is one dead singer - not everyone who likes the 80's likes MJ.

The Laser show is a waste. Not sure the point except to frizz my hair.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived