Spa Pass

Hswillia07

Hi there!

My husband and I are sailing on the Epic in January, and I'm just wondering how early we can buy a weekly spa pass. When we were on the Pearl, we bought a day pass on the actual day we wanted to use it. I know quantities are limited, so I want to make sure I know the earliest possible opportunity to get one!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a thread on the spa if you want to read through them, scroll down to "spa passes"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=17272912

I can't get the above link to work. I was gonna post a qt about what exactly the EPIC spa pass costs and covers but did a search first ;) and came up with this post.

Is there another link that might work for the answer?

Thanks!

I can't get the above link to work. I was gonna post a qt about what exactly the EPIC spa pass costs and covers but did a search first ;) and came up with this post.

Is there another link that might work for the answer?

Thanks!

It's $30 for a day, $119 for a 7 day cruise and $199 for a couple for a 7 day cruise.

It's $30 for a day, $119 for a 7 day cruise and $199 for a couple for a 7 day cruise.

Question - If the couples Spa Pass is $199, then why on earth are the Spa Balcony Cabins so much more expensive than a Regular (or even deluxe) balcony cabins?

It seems like the price difference is about $400-500 more (per person) with a Spa Balcony than from a regular balcony and you can get the same thing (Spa access - not treatments) for $119 or $199.

What am I missing here?

Question - If the couples Spa Pass is $199, then why on earth are the Spa Balcony Cabins so much more expensive than a Regular (or even deluxe) balcony cabins?

It seems like the price difference is about $400-500 more (per person) with a Spa Balcony than from a regular balcony and you can get the same thing (Spa access - not treatments) for $119 or $199.

What am I missing here?

Nicer bedspreads :D

What am I missing here?

They used to be about $100 more per person and a quick look now it is more like $200-250 more per person then the next category down. I can't find any cruise where the delta is even close to $400-500 more (per person). I did find AC Penthouses at exactly the same price as Spa Suites on one cruise I checked. That made no sense.

I guess they have found they can sell them at a higher price. Keep in mind the only difference in most cases between the cheapest and most expensive balcony cabin is location.

The spa balcony cabins are next to the spa for easy access and most important you are assured spa access with key card entry coming. There are only a limited number of weekly passes sold so many others will be shut out. :(

They used to be about $100 more per person and a quick look now it is more like $200-250 more per person then the next category down. I can't find any cruise where the delta is even close to $400-500 more (per person). I did find AC Penthouses at exactly the same price as Spa Suites on one cruise I checked. That made no sense.

I guess they have found they can sell them at a higher price. Keep in mind the only difference in most cases between the cheapest and most expensive balcony cabin is location.

The spa balcony cabins are next to the spa for easy access and most important you are assured spa access with key card entry coming. There are only a limited number of weekly passes sold so many others will be shut out. :(

Plus, if the system is working now, Spa Suites & Spa balconies get key-card access 24 hours / day to the spa area, whereas those who purchase a pass have to trade their room key for a locker-key and are only able to go in between 8a.m. - 10 pm

Plus, if the system is working now, Spa Suites & Spa balconies get key-card access 24 hours / day to the spa area, whereas those who purchase a pass have to trade their room key for a locker-key and are only able to go in between 8a.m. - 10 pm

AHh.... that sounds awesome! I can't wait!! We're in spa suite 14149. :D

You can buy a spa pass at the spa as soon as you board, or any time thereafter, until they are sold out. On the TA it didn't seem like there were any limits on the # sold and the spa was really crowded!

You can buy a spa pass at the spa as soon as you board, or any time thereafter, until they are sold out. On the TA it didn't seem like there were any limits on the # sold and the spa was really crowded!

On the TA they sold 60..... and yes, it was really crowded.

I suspect they'll sell fewer, in the future. They have the spa suites (39 units x 2 people = 78 people), plus the 60 passes, plus 30-odd therapy rooms, plus people who have snuck in, and people who stayed after their massage.... and they had approximately 35 chairs in total in the spa area.

So 168 people entitled, for 35 spaces.

On the TA they sold 60..... and yes, it was really crowded.

I suspect they'll sell fewer, in the future. They have the spa suites (39 units x 2 people = 78 people), plus the 60 passes, plus 30-odd therapy rooms, plus people who have snuck in, and people who stayed after their massage.... and they had approximately 35 chairs in total in the spa area.

So 168 people entitled, for 35 spaces.

That's my biggest concern. We plan to buy a couple's pass but I really think it will be not enough chairs and the spa cortyard can become very crowded.

Any thoughts from those who who bought the pass?

I was on the July 10th sailing. There is no such thing as a key card access 24 hours a day to the spa area. That is what I was sold but after arriving we found out the spa is only open from 8AM to 10PM and no one is allowed in after they close. I complained every day and finally we received a $100.00 room credit (Big Deal). I paid quite a bit more for this supossed luxury...oh it was great but the access was limited...and they really had no excuses. I did enjoy the cruise, the ship and the entertainemnt. There are a few quirks that still need to be worked out but I expected that on a new ship.

JumpOverBoardJudy

It is not a 24 hours access only can access the hours the spa is open.

What am I missing here?

That's what we thought until we got on the ship and realized the spa suites have access to at least 3 other areas that others do not. They have access to their own pool, posh nightclub and one other area I believe. I assume that they get access to the spa thermal area that is 119 a person but I'm not sure. If only 60 passes were sold, I find it hard to believe that all the spas suites had access to this area. We wished we had paid the extra few hundred dollars for a spa suite as we just had a regular balcony. We loved the spa thermal area and it's definitely worth the 199 in our opinion. There was only one time we went in and all the lounge chairs and hot beds were taken. We just stayed in the jacuzzi longer until some opened up.

That's what we thought until we got on the ship and realized the spa suites have access to at least 3 other areas that others do not. They have access to their own pool, posh nightclub and one other area I believe. I assume that they get access to the spa thermal area that is 119 a person but I'm not sure. If only 60 passes were sold, I find it hard to believe that all the spas suites had access to this area. We wished we had paid the extra few hundred dollars for a spa suite as we just had a regular balcony. We loved the spa thermal area and it's definitely worth the 199 in our opinion. There was only one time we went in and all the lounge chairs and hot beds were taken. We just stayed in the jacuzzi longer until some opened up.

Spa balcony cabins do NOT have access to these 3 other areas, just spa SUITES. Spa balcony only has access to the identical area that the $199/couple $119/person does. It's IMHO a combo of whatever the market will bear and a plusher in-room shower/different decor. If you look at different sailing dates I think there may not be such a huge price difference for all dates (not sure). I had noticed for the spa suite this is the case - a couple of sailings have it priced almost the same as the penthouse suite, others have it priced much higher.

Just found out that what I purchased is not what is available on the Epic. There is indeed no 24 hour access to the spa regardless of what stateroom you purchase. I was on hold for ages with customer service's 866 number today and they told me that a new email was just sent out today informing all the reservations agents and customer service reps informing them of the fact. So I gently complained and prodded and waited until they offered to switch me to a regular balcony room on the 8th deck (no thank you) for a refund of $90 once I then pay for the $150 spa pass for two. grrr. I said the 8th deck is not comparable and that I wanted a regular balcony on the 14th deck which I would have chosen if I had known there was absolutely no benefit to getting a "SPA" balcony for $240 more than a regular balcony on that same deck last year when I paid my deposit! Of course, there are no regular balcony rooms available now so then the rep found rooms on the 11th deck. Still not an even trade so I told him I wanted a $90 credit to the onboard account and then I'd feel better. He said he'd try. By this time it was after 5 and anyone that could do this was gone for the day. So now I'll be really surprised if I hear from the rep Monday. I will be calling them though...

NCL cannot get away with misrepresenting what the product is! which is exactly what happened. What I should have requested was Courtyard access! Or even an upgrade to a spa suite (not happening). Seems that the spa suites are the way to go if you can afford it. Not me... We're treating my dad for his 75th birthday and now I have to eat pie and tell him his 24 hour access to the spa was a pipe dream... :(

• Administrators

Oh dear. :/ I had a terrible feeling about this whole issue of access to the spa for spa staterooms way back in August of 2009, when NCL first started backpedaling on their language about these cabins. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036802&highlight=

I wish I had a crystal ball that worked that well for something like the lottery! :)

I'm going to be reading reports carefully over the next few months, to see whether the reported overcrowding of the thermal suite improves, and what spa cabin passengers say about it. I'm worried we may have to reconsider whether to make this sailing. I want to experience the Epic, but I was so excited and booked this sailing the first day bookings were offered primarily because of the spa staterooms and the promises NCL made about access to the spa. If NCL changes it so that all we're really doing is paying more for a "spa cabin + spa pass" than we would for a "non-spa cabin + spa pass"... well, I am really not sure whether it wouldn't be better just to sail on a smaller NCL ship.

I'm not sure 24 hour spa access is necessary (or even feasible; there has to be time for cleaning, refilling, and so on) -- but I think giving spa stateroom guests access for even a couple of hours after the spa closes to the "general public" would be acceptable to most. That's especially so if the reported overcrowding due to excessive sale of spa passes continues. Ah well, we'll see how things develop.

Thanks for your post Michell. I agree - I had an uneasy feeling as I read other's experiences on the Epic concerning the lack of access after regular hours and over crowding. I think what you suggested is an excellent compromise - keeping the spa open for spa balconies and spa suites 2 hours after being closed to the general public. Then it would be worth the extra money to book these special staterooms in my opinion.

I was imagining the Disney Wonder and Dream spas --- each time we were on the Wonder, we were nearly the only ones in the RainForest room every afternoon because most families were enjoying the ship together and no kids are allowed in the spa. The RainForest room was my husband's first experience with spas and he LOVED it. :) Well, I'll be sure to post after our 9/11 seven day cruise. I'm hoping the spa won't be crowded all the time and that NCL will credit me at least $100 per stateroom that I purchased since they have indeed misrepresented what they were selling a year ago.

Happy cruising everyone!

I just talked to my agent and she also said that there is no more 24 access to the spa (but yet if you look into 2011 bookings and book try to book a Spa Suite it says "These suites feature a queen-size circular bed, spa décor, entry to the Mandara Spa experience and fitness center, as well as complimentary 24-hour access to the Thermal Spa Suites."

That really kinda stinks because that is one of the main reasons I booked a Spa Suite was for my mother to enjoy some time in there. Guess I'll have to wait till December to see how it will work.

Archived