Shore Excursion Advice for a Newbie!

telamarie14

My husband and I are going on our first cruise this January. It's a 7 day western Caribbean cruise (NCL - Spirit) that leaves from New Orleans and travels to Costa Maya, Cozumel, Belize City, and Roatan.

Which ports are best for shore excursions and which are better for just exploring on our own? Any advice would be appreciated!!

It really depends on what YOU like to do! Get yourself a guidebook on your ports and read it. Find out what is in each country. THEN, you can find out if what is interesting to you needs an excursion, or if you can go it alone. Most things are quite easy to do without a "group leader"!

having been to the ports i would say Costa Maya and Cozumel are easy to do on your own and then Belize and Roatan take an excursion...check out the Ports of Call Board and see what everyone does at the different ports...lots of GREAT excursions or activities!!

I always start by looking at the excursions offered by the cruise line. If they have something that interests me then I go into research mode and surf the internet to find something similar or better for less money. Usually there is more than one vendor providing tours in most ports. Then it is time to return to ports info on CC and ask about the vendor you have found. Often Trip Advisor is a good resource for tours and things to do. It is a lot of fun doing the research and gets your juices flowing in anticipation of the cruise.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise this January. It's a 7 day western Caribbean cruise (NCL - Spirit) that leaves from New Orleans and travels to Costa Maya, Cozumel, Belize City, and Roatan.

Which ports are best for shore excursions and which are better for just exploring on our own? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Costa Maya: it's easy to take a very short taxi ride ($5 roundtrip) to the village/beach area south of the pier. You could also take an excursion to the Chacchoben Mayan ruins, which is about a 4-hour trip which should leave you time for the beach as well. Other excursions are available.

Cozumel: it's pretty easy to take a somewhat longer taxi ride south down the coast to either Chankanaab Park or one of the beaches. There are other options as well.

Belize City: taking an excursion is almost mandatory - not a great deal to do in the city. There are Mayan ruins, cave tubing, ziplining, snorkeling and beaches. Since Belize City is protected by a reef, the water activities are offshore and require an excursion.

Costa Maya: it's easy to take a very short taxi ride ($5 roundtrip) to the village/beach area south of the pier. You could also take an excursion to the Chacchoben Mayan ruins, which is about a 4-hour trip which should leave you time for the beach as well. Other excursions are available.

Cozumel: it's pretty easy to take a somewhat longer taxi ride south down the coast to either Chankanaab Park or one of the beaches. There are other options as well.

Belize City: taking an excursion is almost mandatory - not a great deal to do in the city. There are Mayan ruins, cave tubing, ziplining, snorkeling and beaches. Since Belize City is protected by a reef, the water activities are offshore and require an excursion.

Agree this this advice. Costa Maya actually has a very nice shopping area, pool, bar as you walk off the ship.

Belize is a tour for sure. We loved the cave tubing(cave-tubing.com) and we also once took an excursion we bought on the ship which was a jeep safari to a Mayan Cave and some other stops that was a blast, but the activity level was high.

We loved Costa Maya. Here's the C&P from my posting on another CM thread:

"Nidaco,

WE loved this port. Walk to the back of the cruise pier area until you get to the taxi stands. $3pp there and $2pp return gets you to Mahajual. The trip there will be an eye-opening experience. The hurricane damage still lingers.

We hopped off at the first stop and walked toward the ocean. Be prepared for a bit of "I have just your size, pretty lady" but we never felt badgered. The malecon (translation: beautiful wide sidewalk area) separates the stores from the beach and runs the length of 'town'. We parked our bodies in front of Tapas - easily recognized by the Mexican waiters wearing bright green tshirts that read, "Kiss Me I'm Irish"... lol

Waitstaff will come take orders in exchange for use of their palapas and beach loungers. We had no problem with that deal. The water is beautifully clear and shallow quite a ways out. Your boys may not see much in the way of underwater life (assuming bathing suit bottoms don't count...*chuckle*) but I'm guessing they'll have a lot of fun.

The shopping wasn't overly plentiful but you can pick those wares up once you get back to the cruise terminal.

My recommendation is take your big beach bag, beach towels, lots of sunscreen, water bottles and some kid-friendly snacks if your boys aren't crazy about Mexican food.

Have a great time!"

Archived