Tour from Venice to Verona

margord

It's quite a nice trip to do on your own, if you are so inclined. Verona is an easy trip on the train from Venice. When we were there, there was a hop-on hop-off bus, but I think it's been replaced by a tourist mini-train that will take you around the area, with a guide to point out the highlights. Then you can walk around with a good guide book and see the Arena di Verona, Juliet's house, etc. The ItalyHeaven website has a lot of good information.

Verona's a really nice town, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Lisa

As said, Verona is a very easy train trip from Venice. Note that a tour company won't be able to pick you up at your hotel (assuming you are staying in Venice proper) so you'd have to walk or take a water bus to P. Roma to meet them .. it is no harder to get to the train station instead.

The Verona train station is a decent walk from the old city. (I'm sure I have walked it at least 20 times and I'm old, fat and a polio survivor so it ain't hard <grin>) It's something like .75 miles from the train station to the Arena. There are also city buses and, of course, taxis, if you prefer.

Any half decent travel guide will let you know what you should see.

Important note: the best gelato in town (this is important, pay attention <grin>) I've found there is a block or so left after you pass under the city walls coming from the train station. (Corso Porta Nuova).

One summer only comment about Verona. On many days through August, there are operas in the Arena. The downside of this is that the city gets crowded in the evening. So, I'd suggest eating diner somewhere else (this gives you an excuse the break the trip back in Padua)

Thank you all so much for the information. Do we bujy our train tickets right at the station or do I have to buy them ahead of time? Also how far is Juliet's home from the train station in Verona?

Also, does anyone have a website for the train so I can get times, etc. Is the town small enough that we can walk around after getting there? My main interest is Juliet's house. Call me a romantic!

You can get all train information at http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html .

"Juliet's home" is right in the city centre, at most 30 minutes walking from the station. (Or much less depending on your speed and the time you allow yourself to leisurely wander around.)

You might also be interested in "Juliet's tomb" at San Francesco al Corso close by.

Verona's official homepage offers four different walking itenararies at http://www.comune.verona.it/turismo/Passeggiando/inglese/itineraryA/index.htm

You might be interested in getting a Verona Card, the one-day version (8 Euro) "is valid for 1 day and allows the holder to travel on AMT bus services, gain free access to museums, monuments and churches participating in the scheme and discounts on entry to other places of interest within the city."

This card would also allow you to use the city buses if you should get tired of walking.

I agree that this is easy to do on your own. You can just get the train tickets the day you travel. As I recall, the train station was within walking distance of the city if you're in decent shape.

Another enjoyable one-dayer from Venice is Padua. Also easy to do on your own via train.

I agree that this is easy to do on your own. You can just get the train tickets the day you travel. As I recall, the train station was within walking distance of the city if you're in decent shape.

Another enjoyable one-dayer from Venice is Padua. Also easy to do on your own via train.

Can you tell me about Padua?

You can get all train information at http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html .

"Juliet's home" is right in the city centre, at most 30 minutes walking from the station. (Or much less depending on your speed and the time you allow yourself to leisurely wander around.)

You might also be interested in "Juliet's tomb" at San Francesco al Corso close by.

Verona's official homepage offers four different walking itenararies at http://www.comune.verona.it/turismo/Passeggiando/inglese/itineraryA/index.htm

You might be interested in getting a Verona Card, the one-day version (8 Euro) "is valid for 1 day and allows the holder to travel on AMT bus services, gain free access to museums, monuments and churches participating in the scheme and discounts on entry to other places of interest within the city."

This card would also allow you to use the city buses if you should get tired of walking.

Great information, thanks you.

Can you tell me about Padua?

It's been a long time since that trip. But I remember l walking from the train station, through some pretty non-descript newish business district and finding the old part of town, including a big food market. I remember noting that I liked it better than my day in Verona. Maybe it was the food.

Archived