Mount Vesuvius with a child

CruisingSarah

We plan to go to Mount Vesuvius by public transport, either the train or ferry to Herculaneum and then the bus to close to the summit.

For the final leg to the summit, could you easily push a buggy/stroller or is the ground too uneven/steep for this? How difficult a walk is it for a child?

DS is 5 and hasn't been in the buggy for over 8 months, and then that was on holiday, we don't have a need for it at home now. I am just thinking that in the August heat and for a fairly strenuous walk if it was practical to push the buggy then I would take it.

Thanks for any tips :)

The pumice/sand is quite deep in some places, and it would be nearly impossible to push a buggy and five-year-old through it - especially going up. Your son could likely walk it, but I think he might get bored, hot and tired. You might end up carrying him on your shoulders, which would be hard work. The railings are also pretty sparse in places, and the drop is steep. You would probably want to hold DS's hand all or most of the time to prevent him going astray.

Take hats, water and sunscreen, as it will be hot, and there is no shade on most of the walk.

I think this may not be an excursion he will enjoy, and you all might have a better time doing something more child-friendly.

Lisa

Lisa, thanks very much for the prompt reply :)

Ok so the buggy is a no-no then.

I know it might be a hard walk but the reason we were going to go was actually for him, he has a thing about volcanoes and looking into the crater and so we thought it might be good to go there.

We could try to go early before it really gets hot and plan to take it steady and give him a lift if need be.

Will give it careful thought, thanks.

OK, if it's DS's idea, he's going to be more motivated to get to the top! Your plan of going early is a good one, as it can get brutally hot up there. I would advise wearing closed shoes rather than sandals, even really sporty sandals, as that pumice gets everywhere!

The view from the top is fantastic. Have a great time!

Lisa

Archived