Best Place to Snorkel for kids (8 and 11)

Ironmen

Where would be the best place for us to take an excursion for snorkeling for the kids to see lots of fish either in Cozumel or Roatan? They are both good swimmers and love the water.

Cozumel is your best choice for fish. The whole reef system is a marine park and protected from fishing. Only certain area in Roatan are. I have been to Cozumel 5 times diving and still on of the best places for diving. Paradise reef to me is the best there.

One tip for taking kids snorkeling, make sure they practice in a pool this summer. Even though they are great swimmers, which is a plus, it does take some practice to breathe thru the snorkel and becoming comfortable with it.

Also look into a local dive shop, they have snorkeling classes.

I took the excursion off the ship in Coz last December and LOVED it... We saw lots of fish and even a few jelly fish... But close enough to the "mother boat" that the guides were there to help immeditely...

Then they took us to their private beach and there were drinks, rafts, paddle boats, water pillow and inflatable mountian to climb...

Loved it!!!

I'm going to have a different opinion than the others and say Roatan. DH and I have snorkeled in Cozumel several times, and EVERYTIME there has been a pretty swift current, and it's just exhausting trying to snorkel. The guides in the water want you to kind of follow their route in the water, and it's easy to get left behind if you're swimming against the current. The one time we took our kids with us, we had 11 year old twin boys and they did not do well (they are both strong swimmers and had played with snorkels in pools for years).

DH and I snorkeled in Roatan last fall and found it awesome. The reef was great, saw lots of fish, lobsters, and lots of brain and fire coral. We took the Carnival excursion on that trip and would definitely do it again. The best part was that the water was like glass - I could literally lay on top of the water and float, and it wasn't difficult to swim around at all.

Where would be the best place for us to take an excursion for snorkeling for the kids to see lots of fish either in Cozumel or Roatan? They are both good swimmers and love the water.

By all means, go to West Bay in Roatan, specifically Tabayana Beach if you book thru Carnival. About 20 feet from the sandy shore, the wall drops off to 30-40 feet deep. Beautiful coral heads and large colorful fish. By far the best shore snorkelling/diving I have ever done. Shore snorkelling usually sucks, but this is superb.

Both are excellent snorkeling for any age group. Give Roatan a slight edge for better shore snorkeling.

By all means, go to West Bay in Roatan, specifically Tabayana Beach if you book thru Carnival. About 20 feet from the sandy shore, the wall drops off to 30-40 feet deep. Beautiful coral heads and large colorful fish. By far the best shore snorkelling/diving I have ever done. Shore snorkelling usually sucks, but this is superb.

I would agree with this. Have snorkeled at both Chankanaab park in Coz and Tabayana in Roatan. Tabayana wins hands down, not only for the fish, but the fact that the majority of the beach in Chank is on a bulkhead, and there is no sand or gradual entry into the water - you walk down steps carved from the coral.

now, if you are going for the "whole" experience, and want the dolpin encounter and a beach day, Chank is awesome.

Chankanaab in Cozumel is great. It was actually the best snorkeling of our whole 7 day western route. Plenty of fish to see, cool sunken statues, lots of animals to see, things to do, facilities clean, food reasonable and good. I highly recommend it. We had a group of people from 4-86 and everyone enjoyed our day at Chank.

I personally didn't see much in Roatan (at Tabayana), and even less in Belize.

Totally disagree with the first few replies. Roatan is considered the THIRD best snorkel/dive locale in the world.

The Pelicar reef stretches from Cozumel all the way down past Roatan...But the hurricane a few years back severely damaged the reef off Cozumel. Thus reducing the number and variety of fish and coral.

There are 54 distinct and different dive/snorkel locales off Roatan. The best for a one day cruise trip is the West End. If you are not experienced snorkelers, I would recommend you purchase from a local a snorkel excursion.....That way you are not guessing on location and you have experienced personnel with you to assist.

I'd have to second Chankanaab park as well. Snorkeling off the beach if they've never snorkeled is a good way to start. My 8 year old swims everyday and loved snorkeling but loved to be able to get out and play on the beach when she wanted. There are also so many other things to do at Chankanaab.

To all that have suggested Cozumel, I have to disagree. The reason is that because of the current that flows between the island and the main land, snorkeling there can be difficult. Yes, it is a nice reef and you will see fish, BUT they pale in comparison to the numbers and variety that you will find of West bay in Roatan.

The advantage of West Bay, especially for children, is that it is from shore, you are enver far from reef or rock if you get in any trouble, it is always smooth, there is no current, the fish are abundant, and there are "life guards" in kayaks protecting the reef that can come to you aid if needed.

Archived