Best waterproof digital camera?

allisons

markstudy,

Off topic question . . . how did you like the Ruby Princess?

Thanks,

Allison

The Ruby was a nice step up from our first two cruises on Carnival. I thought it was a beautiful ship, and the 10 day Southern Caribbean itinerary was such a great trip. We went over New Years Eve... and had a perfect cruise.

We had the biggest balcony on the Caribbe deck. I loved the double size balconies.

We thought the Princess staff was great, and very helpful. We really enjoyed the woman who took care of our cabin each day. She was so pleasant and cheerful.

Only two negatives- the average age on the Ruby was older, to the point we felt like we were on a trip with a 1,000 sets of our grandparents. We sat at a lot of different tables for dinner over the 10 nights and got babied each time (it was nice) :D. We are in our 40's but it felt like we were kids again at Grandma's place for summer vacation. The people we met were very sweet, and cute. It was fun.

Also... I thought the food was better in the buffet then the main restaurants. Lots of variety, good quality, on the buffet, and I've never been a buffet fan before. The little cafe's and specialty restaurant were great. I just wasn't a fan of the food in main dining room. Small portions, limited choice, and just slightly slow service.

I'd still rate the trip as a 9.9 on the 1-10 scale.

If you click on the link in my signature, you can see my trip report in my scrapbook.

I've been reading about this for more than 2 months now and my head hurts...

i like the price and pictures of the canon d10 but it's so ugly and doesn't do HD video..

I've decided to buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 for slightly more but I've had other Lumix cameras and are very happy with it...

Now just trying to find a place in Canada that sells it cheaper than $399...ouch

http://www.lenstip.com/125.4-article-Underwater_cameras_test_2010__Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FT2.html

I've been reading about this for more than 2 months now and my head hurts...

i like the price and pictures of the canon d10 but it's so ugly and doesn't do HD video..

I've decided to buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 for slightly more but I've had other Lumix cameras and are very happy with it...

Now just trying to find a place in Canada that sells it cheaper than $399...ouch

http://www.lenstip.com/125.4-article-Underwater_cameras_test_2010__Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FT2.html

The Canon doesn't do HD video?!

The Canon doesn't do HD video?!

Also, the microphone is muffled from all the underwater housing. So you aren't going to get good audio unless the person is speaking loud.

I would not buy this camera if your are interested in shooting video.

We never shoot video on our trips anymore. Because when we did, we never watched it after we got back home :D

Also, the microphone is muffled from all the underwater housing. So you aren't going to get good audio unless the person is speaking loud.

I would not buy this camera if your are interested in shooting video.

We never shoot video on our trips anymore. Because when we did, we never watched it after we got back home :D

So true! Neither do we! But it would be good to videotape the kids in the pool, etc.

markstudy,

loved seeing your photos and your comparison shots are great illustrations. We have a Fuji Finepix 400 with an underwater housing that is easy to operate, but our photos are not nearly as vibrant and colorful as yours.

Is the D10 mostly a point and shoot or do you have to make adjustments to get the right colors and clarity?

Glad you enjoyed the pics. Its just a point-and-shoot camera when I'm using it. :D I'm pretty much a one button kind of guy.

They have a simple menu where you pick the type of photos you want to shoot. 1) Underwater 2) Aquarium 3) Auto 4) landscape 5) snow 6) fireworks 7) night 8) forest

There's about 15 settings to pick from.

I took most my shots on Auto, Underwater, or Forest... those are the 3 settings I used for 90% of my pictures.

Have the Cannon 10 ft underwater camera. Totally love it. Took some great pictures in Alaska when we snorkeled in Ketchikan and also on rainy days in Juneau. it also takes great non under water shots and has lots of settings to play with.

Used it in the carribean with great pictures. The more I palty with it the more we love it.

Have had an Olympic Stylus for 1.5 years and really like it. I got a florescent orange flotation wristband -- I take off the regular wristband when snorkeling/diving and put on the flotation one -- it's comfortable to wear, and easy to take on and off when passing the camera off to someone else. I have read too many stories of underwater cameras at the bottom of 50+ feet of water, so I take the precaution of the flotation aid.

After doing lots of research based on info here and elsewhere, just ordered the Sony TX5. It is waterproof up to 10 ft, no special housing, it will do video, panoramic assist and some other cool sounding features. The feature that convinced us most are the photos and videos that we saw where it makes adjustments (on its own) for any low light conditions.

It should arrive in a week or so and I'll start playing with it. If anyone is interested in knowing more at that time, let me know.

I've been researching underwater cameras and am preparing to go scuba diving on my next cruise in 2011. I know most of the cameras recommended are only supported to 30 feet. Due to the depth, does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably good price underwater camera that is good for scuba diving? Thanks! :)

See my last post, post #9. Better pics than any "underwater" camera mentioned in this thread and the case is rated to 130'. If you plan on getting more involved in underwater photography then I suggest ikelite cases. Much more expensive but you're able to add on strobes, video lights and external lenses. If you're only an occasional recreational diver then the canon will suffice. BTW, it also takes excellent underwater video. I've had a couple of canons with the the canon underwater cases and they've been great. I always get my cameras at costco and the underwater cases seem to be cheapest on amazon.

Anyone know anything about "AgfaPhoto DC600UW Blue 6MP Underwater & Sports Camera"? I bought this from Wal-Mart online for my trip rather than buying a waterproof housing for my Canon Rebel.

Thanks,

We have an Olmpus which we have been happy with for the past few years. we bring it back to the cabin and daok in the sink for a few minutes and then dry it off. but i must say you're D10 takes some beautiful clear pics. we have been thinking about getting a new one this year just in case something would happen to the old one. i'll have to have my husband put some of his on here. we love looking at the pictures when we get home. i even bought a fish chart to identify the fish in the oictures that we did not know.

I'm very happy with the D10

1) It did great with image stabilization on a very bumpy river ride.

2) Color was good underwater on something tricky like a translucent squid

3) It even worked underground in a cave full of mist and dripping water

4) Nice bright colors

If you click on the link in my signature you can see all my D10 trip photos.

RubyPrincess437a.jpg

RubyPrincess2010469small.jpg

5RubyPrincess100a.jpg

RubyPrincess2010529small.jpg

1RubyPrincess520.jpg

RubyPrincess2010462small.jpg

Beautiful ,where were these pictures taken? we are doing western caribbean in oct. and would like to know if thats where you took these.

Beautiful ,where were these pictures taken? we are doing western caribbean in oct. and would like to know if thats where you took these.

I'm going on a Western Caribbean for my next trip too.

These photos are from a 10 day Southern Caribbean trip. If you click on the link in my signature.... you can see our scrapbook and details of the entire trip, if you're interested.

I'm going on a Western Caribbean for my next trip too.

These photos are from a 10 day Southern Caribbean trip. If you click on the link in my signature.... you can see our scrapbook and details of the entire trip, if you're interested.

Nice pictures . we may have to invest in the canon camera. this will be our third cruise western but gc and roatan are new ports for us. we have been to Belize but not snorkeled there before so really looking forward to that.

Nice pictures . we may have to invest in the canon camera. this will be our third cruise western but gc and roatan are new ports for us. we have been to Belize but not snorkeled there before so really looking forward to that.

Glad you enjoyed the photos, the Canon did a good job.

Sounds like we are both taking the same trip next time.

I'm also looking forward to Belize, Roatan, and Cayman :D

Anyone know anything about "AgfaPhoto DC600UW Blue 6MP Underwater & Sports Camera"? I bought this from Wal-Mart online for my trip rather than buying a waterproof housing for my Canon Rebel.

Just wanted to post an update:

I spoke with someone in a camera shop about this. He let me know that Agfa used to be a good name in the world of photography, but they went out of business. Some Asian company bought the name and is now using it. The quality is not what one would have expected from a name like Agfa.

Now I've got to see if I can get Wal-mart to take it back because it's about a week beyond the 30 day return policy. *sigh*

The person I spoke with recommended the Canon D10 or Olympus. (There was a third, but I don't recall the name.) This was seconded by another camera shop ~30 miles from the first.

The second camera store person suggested waiting until after the summer to purchase it, if possible, because prices tend to go down slightly once the season is over and people are no longer looking for water activities as much.

Hope this helps some people out there,

Archived