Tours on Princess Canada/New England cruise

tuccritic

New to cruise critic and posting! Will try again.

Cruising to Canada and New England in Sept. For ports in Sydney, Halifax, Charlottetown, St. Johns NB, Newport, RI - can you walk into the towns from the piers? If not, any recommendations for tours in these cities?

We tendered in Newport right into the main part of town and walked several blocks to their information center where we bought tickets to various houses and caught a bus. (Maybe a 10 minute walk)

In Saint John we docked downtown and walked around downtown, didn't take a tour. In Halifax we also docked and had a Princess tour scheduled to Peggy's Cove.

Our stop in Sydney was cancelled due to rough seas so can't give you any info there.

Have a good trip.

What you might want to do is go to the Roll Call for your cruise and see what is going on there. Someone may have private tours that you can join if you wish and you can find a lot of information there.

In Halifax they have some good tours (my DH and I did different tours because he wanted to do the Titanic thing and I went to the fort and had English tea). In Newport you can walk into the city as the dock is right there where the tender drops you. St. John has a short walk into the town and they do have some tours going there as well. I didn't take any there so can't tell you about them. I haven't been to the other two ports. Have fun.

We joined the Newport Preservation Society before our cruise. Membership includes entrance to all of society's mansions, including Rosecliff, Marble House, The Breakers, and The Elms (and several others). We managed to tour all of these plus two others.

We took the trolley bus to Marble House to start and walked to the others. Membership in the society gets you "front of the line entrance privileges at all properties," which can speed things up if you're there when there are lots of people.

Halifax is walkable from the dock. We went to the public garden, Citadel, Parliament, Maritime Museum, and the brewery.

In Saint John, we walked around the downtown area, then caught a bus to the falls. We walked back to the ship from there. It's probably about 2 miles.

Our cruise went to Bar Harbor and Boston instead of your other two ports.

Archived