Review of the Vendaam

cricri7

Just like your daughter, when I was a young girl...many years ago..., my parents used to bring us to the restaurant once in a while and made it clear that we would not go back if we misbehaved. That kept us on the straight and narrow because my brother and me loved to travel and go to restaurants. When my brother had my niece, she is now 14, we used to go everywhere with her and she is still nice....in public at least;)

I love to have kids around. What is more beautiful than kids having fun and playing? Bermuda maybe! Have fun on the Vendaam because it is a beautiful ship and a lovely destination. I would go back any day

Ok I'm confused now. ON the website HAL for Veendam it shows 2 pools. One mid ship with the retractable roof and the other deck 11 aft (small retreat).

Which is it , 1 pool or 2 ???? This is a big deal because their website shows/says 2.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Ok I'm confused now. ON the website HAL for Veendam it shows 2 pools. One mid ship with the retractable roof and the other deck 11 aft (small retreat).

Which is it , 1 pool or 2 ???? This is a big deal because their website shows/says 2.

It's one pool. The Veendam and the Rotterdam have one pool mid-ship, under the dome. Aft is a "poolette", foot bath, watering trough---call it what you will. It's a few inches deep, totally unsuitable for swimming, or even for cooling off. There are loungers in the poolette so you can get your backside wet when you sit.

It's one pool. The Veendam and the Rotterdam have one pool mid-ship, under the dome. Aft is a "poolette", foot bath, watering trough---call it what you will. It's a few inches deep, totally unsuitable for swimming, or even for cooling off. There are loungers in the poolette so you can get your backside wet when you sit.

But the Retreat poolette will get deep enough in one end if the ship lists a certain way, and keeps that position. :D It happened to me on my trip. ;)

Thanks for this info. Much appreciated. I'm sure we'll love it either way.

Can you tell me more about the dining now. Which restaurants are the pay extra and have you tried any ?

I'm on HAL's website and the menus are killing me . My mouth is watering .

Thanks alot.

Oh how funny.... Or I can ask everyone to stand on one end while I take advantage of the deeper water ???

Thanks for the laugh .

But the Retreat poolette will get deep enough in one end if the ship lists a certain way, and keeps that position. :D It happened to me on my trip. ;)

Can you tell me more about the dining now. Which restaurants are the pay extra and have you tried any ?

The only extra charge restaurant on the Veendam is the Pinnacle. I haven't eaten there in a while, but it was excellent when I did. I have also eaten at the Pinnacle on several other HAL ships, and have never been disappointed. I'll try again when I sail on the last cruise to Bermuda this year.

There's also a Canaletto restaurant on the Veendam. There's no extra charge, but reservations are recommended. I've never eaten at any of them.

Nor did I ever eat dinner on the Veendam Lido. I did eat there on the Rotterdam, and was pleased with my meal. It's not my first choice, though.

Whats your thoughts on the MDR food ?

On carnival is was excellent in their MDR. I'd say NCL"s specialty restaurants were exceptional but not their MDR food.

I loved princess and thought RCCL was so so

Can't wait to hear more.

The only extra charge restaurant on the Veendam is the Pinnacle. I haven't eaten there in a while, but it was excellent when I did. I have also eaten at the Pinnacle on several other HAL ships, and have never been disappointed. I'll try again when I sail on the last cruise to Bermuda this year.

There's also a Canaletto restaurant on the Veendam. There's no extra charge, but reservations are recommended. I've never eaten at any of them.

Nor did I ever eat dinner on the Veendam Lido. I did eat there on the Rotterdam, and was pleased with my meal. It's not my first choice, though.

Whats your thoughts on the MDR food ?

Some nights I've not found anything that appeals on the menu, and have selected from the "always available" choices. And once or twice (on very long cruises) I've chosen from the Children's Menu.

But I've always liked what I was served.

The onion soup is good, not great; the chilled soups are to die for! The beef dishes are very good, and the Parmesan-crusted chicken makes me love chicken.

Desserts? I can take 'em, or leave 'em. :eek:

On ships where there are 2 pools -- we have often seen children in the adults only pool -- and unfortunately no one enforced the rules.

That was one thing I really liked about Costa....they enforced the rules in the aft adults only pols...loved it!

Archived