rental car question

JackieH

Please excuse me if this has been asked before. 4 years ago when we cruised out of Miami, we flew into FLL. We rented a car at the FLL airport and kept it for two days while we stayed with my parents who live in the area. We then returned the car to Miami(Alamo)and they had a shuttle service to the ship free of charge.

Well we just called Alamo today, and they said they do not offer free shuttles, something to do with being taxed on them to the cruise area. Ok, my husband was on the phone getting info, this is just the bits and pieces he told me.

Now does anybody know if this goes for all rental car places in Miami, did they all take away the free shuttle.

The man at Alamo said they have cabs to take you to the cruise ship for $18.

Would love to hear from anybody who has dropped off a rental in Miami.

Thanks

I am not aware of other rental car places at Miami airport with shuttles over to the cruise ship terminal. A taxi would be the best bet.

Keith

THank you for responding. Like I said 4 yrs ago there were shuttles at Alamo to shuttle to the ships for free. Apparently they took this service away, which was a nice service;)

THank you for responding. Like I said 4 yrs ago there were shuttles at Alamo to shuttle to the ships for free. Apparently they took this service away, which was a nice service;)

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if you drop off at the car rental places downtown, a few of them have shuttle service to the port.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if you drop off at the car rental places downtown, a few of them have shuttle service to the port.

That is what I am curious about. I mean we will have a rental from Ft Lauderdale, that we need to drop in Miami. I know things change , and it has been 4 years. I am just wondering if somebody knows if there are any rental car companies who still do this. Either way, it wont ruin our cruise;)

I believe the reason many of the car rental agencys did away with the shuttles is they built a new center at the airport in Miami. Have done some checking taxi rate is $24 plus tip. Had the same problem for my cruise in sept. but got a good deal with pricveline for alamo so everything works out...

Unless the info you received is a recent change...We cruised in February 2010, Alamo had free shuttles from the airport rental location to the port and back, which were very convenient to get.

Make sure you check with the airport location directly as the first time we cruised I called the 800# for Alamo and they told me no.

Unless the info you received is a recent change...We cruised in February 2010, Alamo had free shuttles from the airport rental location to the port and back, which were very convenient to get.

Make sure you check with the airport location directly as the first time we cruised I called the 800# for Alamo and they told me no.

Ok, I read somewhere, wasnt sure if it was on this board(I think it was), somebody stated that Alamo stopped the free shuttle in May 2010. I guess I will have to do a search again to see.

I have to apologize...I contacted Alamo and they have discontinued the shuttle service to the seaport. I am very surprised that they did, though.:confused:

I looked at the Port of Miami website and they list Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty that service the port area with shuttles, but obviously check with those companies to confirm.

Tried to rent a car at Ft. Lauderdale Airport (where we are flying in for our cruise) and find a drop off in Miami that would shuttle us to the port. I called both Thrifty and Budget in Miami directly (not 800 number) and both locations told me they no longer offer free shuttle to the port. The Thrifty location in South Beach said I could return there and take a taxi for about $15 to the port.

The taxi fare from the POM to the MIA Rental Car Center (RCC) is not a flat rate ($24) like it is to the airport. Our cab driver said since it wasn't AT the airport (but a building adjacent to it, even though it is still technically part of the airport), we would be charged metered rate. It came to $24.50. I imagine it will be the same for the reverse ride. I didn't see may taxis just hanging around the RCC though...I don't know how hard it will be catching one back to the port. You can always take the free bus shuttle to the airport to catch the taxi there...although a big pain!! The RCC is a beautiful facility though, very similiar to the one at FLL.

Archived