First timers to Bermuda - suggestions please

kuddles14

My husband and I will be going to Bermuda for the first time. We will be on the Explorer of the Seas 5 day trip to Bermuda. Since we will be there for two days, what would you recommend for us to see? Anything that are must sees? What is the best beach? What is Snorkel Park and where is it located? Any recommendations for shopping? Thanks for all the suggestions.:D

kuddles asked: ....What is Snorkel Park and where is it located?.... & .....Any recommendations for shopping?,,,,,,

Snorkel Park is a man made beach with facilities located about a 5 minute walk from where you'll be docked; but since it is man made, it is not a good example of the beaches found in Bermuda, for example Horseshoe Bay. http://www.destination360.com/caribbean/bermuda/snorkel-park

I would recommend shopping at the Clocktower Mall which is located about a 5-7 minute walk from where you'll be docked. http://www.experiencebermuda.com/dockyard/clocktower-mall.html

SBtS

When it comes to shopping it depends on what you are interested in. The Glass Works has fantastic things www.dockglass.com , there is also Clayworks www.bermudaclayworks.com along with the Bermuda Craft Market. All of these have locally made items. Don't forget the Art Gallery where you can find great things Bermudian. So you can see there is lots to shop for at the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Any suggestions on tours? Any suggestions on private tour operators? Are we better off doing things with a private tour guide or with the ship excurtions? Again any and all suggestions are appreciated. As you can see I am very excited, always wanted to go to Bermuda.

Two days is not a lot but if you have a plan you can make the best use of your time. There will be taxis there with little blue flags, these drivers are certified tour guides as well. $40 per hour/3 hour minimum. They will take you where ever you like. Say you start off early and head towards Hamilton one morning. On your way, see Ft. Scaur, Gibb's Lighthouse, ask him to take Harbor Road into Hamilton, walk down Front. St for shopping and a snack.

Then head out to the South Shore beaches, Horseshoe is the favorite of lots of people and the cruise tours go here. It is lovely but will be crowded. Ask your driver to take you to a couple of others for an hour each...Head back to the ship for a quick rinse off. Well worth the cost because lots of this involves hills, steps and walking plus he'll tell you lots of stories along the way.

That afternoon you can explore the whole Dockyard area by yourselves. Lots to see. Mondays are a great day there - Festival...Craft Show - but you can check that out on the bermuda.com website. Don't forget to try a Swizzle or a Dark 'n Stormy at Bone Fish Grill. They make a great drink and you can buy the nice glasses at souveniers

Next day..Ferry over to St. George's. (like "Ye Olde Towne") If you want to hit the beach again, grab a cab 5 minutes but UP HILL to Tobacco Bay. The best and easiest snorkeling..They have a rentals, a snack bar and bathrooms. Head back to St. G - you could walk if you want or they will call you a cab. Check out the Unfinished Church, shops, most days they have a town crier or free walking tour. Ferry back and do the Beer/Rum tasting at Frog 'n Onion Pub. Now that's an awesome 48 hours.

Start out early -You can sleep in the other 3 days....

Two days is not a lot but if you have a plan you can make the best use of your time. There will be taxis there with little blue flags, these drivers are certified tour guides as well. $40 per hour/3 hour minimum. They will take you where ever you like. Say you start off early and head towards Hamilton one morning. On your way, see Ft. Scaur, Gibb's Lighthouse, ask him to take Harbor Road into Hamilton, walk down Front. St for shopping and a snack.

Then head out to the South Shore beaches, Horseshoe is the favorite of lots of people and the cruise tours go here. It is lovely but will be crowded. Ask your driver to take you to a couple of others for an hour each...Head back to the ship for a quick rinse off. Well worth the cost because lots of this involves hills, steps and walking plus he'll tell you lots of stories along the way.

That afternoon you can explore the whole Dockyard area by yourselves. Lots to see. Mondays are a great day there - Festival...Craft Show - but you can check that out on the bermuda.com website. Don't forget to try a Swizzle or a Dark 'n Stormy at Bone Fish Grill. They make a great drink and you can buy the nice glasses at souveniers

Next day..Ferry over to St. George's. (like "Ye Olde Towne") If you want to hit the beach again, grab a cab 5 minutes but UP HILL to Tobacco Bay. The best and easiest snorkeling..They have a rentals, a snack bar and bathrooms. Head back to St. G - you could walk if you want or they will call you a cab. Check out the Unfinished Church, shops, most days they have a town crier or free walking tour. Ferry back and do the Beer/Rum tasting at Frog 'n Onion Pub. Now that's an awesome 48 hours.

Start out early -You can sleep in the other 3 days....

Thank you I really like your suggestions. I know 48 hours is not a lot of time, but it's better than just one day and there is always (I hope) a return trip.

There is an active thread which include recommendations on tour operators: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1198339

I would go with a private tour because it will be tailored for your interests and not what the cruise line thinks is interesting.

SBtS

I think I will take your advice and do the private tour since we have about two days in Bermuda. Don't have to worry about making the ship for the first day anyway.

I know this might sound dumb, but I am going to ask it anyway. When you stay in a port overnight is there any particular time you are required to be on the ship or is the ganyway open (I would assume with someone there) through the night?

I don't want to be a buzz kill but, IMHO, the tour plan provided in post #7 is overly ambitious. The Explorer of the Seas arrives at the Dockyard at 9A and departs the next day at 5P. That is not 48 hours but 32 hours. But really not 32 hours because the paxs don't clear the Explorer at exactly 9A and they should be back on board at 4:30P for the departure at 5P.

I agree with the tour's points of interest but I just don't see it happening with the time available. Travel time is the big culprit and maybe having too much on your plate. Narrow, curvy roads + local traffic = slow go for everybody. Also, once you stop using a taxi, you are at the mercy of the bus/ferry schedule.

I have been wrong before, but …......................

SBtS

I have never cruised to Bermuda before, but did several land based vacations there many years ago. My two "must do's" on this visit will be to have a "beach day" at Horseshoe Bay (I agree with the other post - that it is one of the prettiest beaches in the world) and shopping in downtown Hamilton.

Being on the NCL Spirit, I will have the luxury of a little more time than you will have there, so we have also planned a Segway Tour of Bermuda too, since one in our party really wants to do that.

I remember Bermuda as a beautiful island, and from what I have read on these boards, I guess it still is! I am really looking forward to going back.

Karen

We just returned from Bermuda on the Explorer of the Seas. We took the Dockyard Trolley Tour the first day. It's only an hour (actually ran long but the time flew by), the guide is great, and you see much more than just the "dockyard." And you will learn a lot about the history, geography, and architecture of the island. If you're interested in a bit of history, I highly recommend it. You'll still have plenty of time left to do everything else. Tour is $35 -- seems like a lot but well worth it. Also, there is pandemonium when the ship docks (especially if it's late as our was), so taking that tour allows all of the traffic to clear out, as it were.

Staying in the dockyard area, I highly recommend the Maritime Museum. Again, we thought it would be a handful of rooms with a couple of exhibits. Not so. It includes a restored Commissioner's House with probably 20 exhibit rooms, other buildings with various exhibits, a walk around what used to be a fortress -- great views, bring your camera!! -- and then there is the dolphin area. You can watch the dolphins for free. For a price, you can interact with (i.e., swim, feed) them.

The shops around the dock are nice and some are "miniature" versions of stores you'll find in Hamilton. There are local crafts and clothing. The Glass Works is nice but the prices were quite high for what you get. A tiny little frog (about 1" in size) was $14.

Snorkel beach is great for those who don't have the time or inclination to go to Horseshoe Beach. It's small and gets crowded, especially if there's more than one ship in port. There was debate as to whether it costs money -- we were charged but others said that, if they balked, the charge was waived. You can rent snorkel equipment (snorkeling is fair at best but still fun), paddle boats, etc. If you want sand under your feet, it's worth spending a few hours; otherwise, you may just want to stay on board.

We typically don't do things "on our own," but it is very easy in Bermuda. You can buy a day pass for bus and ferry that's $12 pp and they give you printed schedules. We took the bus to Hamilton (it passes right by Horseshoe Beach if you want to go there) and then took the ferry back. The ferries are much quicker but the bus lets you see things you otherwise wouldn't. Shopping in Hamilton is overrated, IMO. It's fine but not exceptional.

If you have time, a trip to St. Georges might be interesting. Because we were there on a WE, the ferries were much more limited which made it impossible for us to do. I don't see that being an issue on a weekday. I would suggest going on Day 1 as it's quite a distance from King's Wharf by bus (not so far by ferry) and you don't want to be stuck that far from the ship on Day 2 if transportation goes haywire.

We just returned from Bermuda on the Explorer of the Seas. We took the Dockyard Trolley Tour the first day. It's only an hour (actually ran long but the time flew by), the guide is great, and you see much more than just the "dockyard." And you will learn a lot about the history, geography, and architecture of the island. If you're interested in a bit of history, I highly recommend it. You'll still have plenty of time left to do everything else. Tour is $35 -- seems like a lot but well worth it. Also, there is pandemonium when the ship docks (especially if it's late as our was), so taking that tour allows all of the traffic to clear out, as it were.

Staying in the dockyard area, I highly recommend the Maritime Museum. Again, we thought it would be a handful of rooms with a couple of exhibits. Not so. It includes a restored Commissioner's House with probably 20 exhibit rooms, other buildings with various exhibits, a walk around what used to be a fortress -- great views, bring your camera!! -- and then there is the dolphin area. You can watch the dolphins for free. For a price, you can interact with (i.e., swim, feed) them.

The shops around the dock are nice and some are "miniature" versions of stores you'll find in Hamilton. There are local crafts and clothing. The Glass Works is nice but the prices were quite high for what you get. A tiny little frog (about 1" in size) was $14.

Snorkel beach is great for those who don't have the time or inclination to go to Horseshoe Beach. It's small and gets crowded, especially if there's more than one ship in port. There was debate as to whether it costs money -- we were charged but others said that, if they balked, the charge was waived. You can rent snorkel equipment (snorkeling is fair at best but still fun), paddle boats, etc. If you want sand under your feet, it's worth spending a few hours; otherwise, you may just want to stay on board.

We typically don't do things "on our own," but it is very easy in Bermuda. You can buy a day pass for bus and ferry that's $12 pp and they give you printed schedules. We took the bus to Hamilton (it passes right by Horseshoe Beach if you want to go there) and then took the ferry back. The ferries are much quicker but the bus lets you see things you otherwise wouldn't. Shopping in Hamilton is overrated, IMO. It's fine but not exceptional.

If you have time, a trip to St. Georges might be interesting. Because we were there on a WE, the ferries were much more limited which made it impossible for us to do. I don't see that being an issue on a weekday. I would suggest going on Day 1 as it's quite a distance from King's Wharf by bus (not so far by ferry) and you don't want to be stuck that far from the ship on Day 2 if transportation goes haywire.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I think my husband would like the Maritime Museum as he is into boating. We will be in Bermuda for two days so I think seeing the island and maybe Horseshoe Bay might be in order for the first day and staying closer maybe Snorkel Bay for day two unless we do an excursion the second day. Would love to see the beaches and snorkel.

^^^

My best advice is to think through in advance what you want to do. You can't see everything in 2 days, but you can do quite a bit. I would say the major options are: Horseshoe Beach, Hamilton, St. George's, Dockyard, and "other" (e.g., snorkel, scuba, etc.).

I agree that you should pick one "outer" project for day 1 -- that could be the beach, one of the towns (Hamilton or St. Georges), or a long excursion (e.g., snorkel). I also would recommend staying in the dockyard area on day 2. If the Trolley Tour is available then, that would be a great start. If not, you can still walk to shops, the museum, a pub, and Snorkel Beach on your own. Shops in the dockyard are open on Sundays.

I wouldn't recommend Snorkel Park - it's kind of dumpy and crowded.

I was in Bermuda last year and loved Elbow beach. It's on the South Shore. It's a pink sand beach. THe beaches of the King's Wharf side don't have the pink sand.

Also, you could hop on the high speed ferry and head over to St. George's. It's a pretty little town. Skip Tobacco bay if you go there, walk past it and you will see Fort St. Catherine. It's a beautiful fort that's worth seeing and there is a beach right there that is really nice. If you do head to St. George, head over the the Crystal Caves. They are interesting and beautiful - filled with stalagmites and stalactites.

Get a bus/ferry bus for 2 days and you'll be able to getwhere in BErmuda using a combination of the two.

Have fun!

^^^

My best advice is to think through in advance what you want to do. You can't see everything in 2 days, but you can do quite a bit. I would say the major options are: Horseshoe Beach, Hamilton, St. George's, Dockyard, and "other" (e.g., snorkel, scuba, etc.).

I agree that you should pick one "outer" project for day 1 -- that could be the beach, one of the towns (Hamilton or St. Georges), or a long excursion (e.g., snorkel). I also would recommend staying in the dockyard area on day 2. If the Trolley Tour is available then, that would be a great start. If not, you can still walk to shops, the museum, a pub, and Snorkel Beach on your own. Shops in the dockyard are open on Sundays.

I was thinking the same thing. Doing most of "outer" areas the first day. Can start when we dock and continue until whenever. That's the beauty of staying over night. Thought maybe we might to some sort of an excursion on day 2. Probably from the cruise line, (better safe than sorry) or just explore in the local area. Thought about snorkel park, shopping in the dock area, and basically visiting the local area.

Archived