What's So Bad About Natural History Tour?

alaskandreamer

We will be leaving Denali Princess Lodge at 2:00pm heading to Mt.McKinley Lodge @2:00pm. We checked out the time for the Tundra Tour and it is somewhat longer and we would not be back by 2:00pm.

We will be leaving Denali Princess Lodge at 2:00pm heading to Mt.McKinley Lodge @2:00pm. We checked out the time for the Tundra Tour and it is somewhat longer and we would not be back by 2:00pm.

How much do you really want to get further into the park? And when are you going? You can check out the shuttle bus schedules at http://www.nps.gov/dena. Take a very early shuttle bus (it might mean walking from the Denali Princess to the WAC, about a mile). You will need to book a shuttle to Eielson. Say you take the 6.30am shuttle to Eielson. Hop off at Polychrome, catch the first camper bus back to the entrance (actually just tell your driver you want the camper bus back and they will radio him/flag him down and you can make a direct transfer). This camper bus gets back at 11.10am or shortly thereafter. And YES, you can use camper buses once inside the park with a shuttle bus ticket. You can get slightly further into the park if you take a 5.30am or 6am shuttle but it just depends on when you are going - different shuttle schedules different times of the summer.

We wil be getting to Denali Lodge sometime after 5:30pm on Sept 10th, staying over night and leaving for McKinley lodge Sat 9/11 around 2:00pm.

Thanks for the input, I will check out your suggestion.

I haven't read the responses above so forgive me if I'm repeating info but I just got off Island Princess and talked to many cruisetour passengers during our cruise. Those on the Natural History Tour said it was boring and at most, they saw one moose. Those on TWT saw moose, sheep, and bears. I was on the Eielson shuttle and saw a mama grizzly with 2 cubs, numerous dall sheep, wolf, 3 wolf pups, red fox, ground squirrel, snowshoe hare, moose, and caribou!

Those on the NHT didn't have a good impression of Denali because they were on a crappy tour. Why even go to Denali if you're only going to see one moose? If price is a factor, don't do a cruisetour and book a rail package through PrincessLodges.com instead. It cost us $500 for 2 people with train to Denali, motorcoach back, and 2 nights in Denali Princess. The Eielson shuttle is only $40 and goes further than the TWT.

Why even go to Denali if you're only going to see one moose?

UMMM ... why go to Denali except to see lots of wildlife?

Well --

Exciting scenery

History

Renting a jeep and getting out into the wilderness on your own

Jet boats

Flying to the mountain

Husky camp

Dinner theater

Hiking opportunities -- when you hope you DON'T see a grizzly close up!

Log Cabin Breakfast

Getting there and back through amazing Alaska country.

Lots of reasons to go to Denali besides wildlife viewing. You and BQ and many others make that their top priority. It is not mine. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Incidentally, we didn't see a moose in Denali. But I saw a couple of very nice ones in a pen at a rest stop we made, good close up view and plenty of time to observe. Guess I am to be pitied some more for that ...

Incidentally, we didn't see a moose in Denali. But I saw a couple of very nice ones in a pen at a rest stop we made, good close up view and plenty of time to observe. Guess I am to be pitied some more for that ...

Some days ya crack me up, Mike :D

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is indeed a great stop. ( http://www.alaskawildlife.org/ )

We did a Princess cruise tour last year in mid-May; and, very much enjoyed the Natural History Tour. Maybe we were just lucky, but we had an excellent guide, saw lots of wildlife, and were very pleased. Also, four or five hours on the school bus was plenty. Plus,we had more time around the park headquarters to take in the dog sled presentation and walk back to the gulch. Would we have more enjoyed the longer tour? I don't know.

We also were very happy with the NHT. Next time we will go further into the park but if someone asked me today if I would do the NHT tour again, I would say yes. We figured that any scenery would be better than Dallas in July and were open minded and had a great time.

Honestly, we were not sure we wanted to spend more than 4 hours on a school bus as I have a bad back. Sometimes things are relative...we had no expectation one way or the other on this excursion and loved it. Everything we saw was beautiful.

We saw Mt. McKinley in all its glory on the train to Whittier - saw glaciers on the cruise so our two most important items, glaciers and Mt. McKinley were fulfilled and were spectacular.

In no way to we regret not going further into the park. However, ignorance is bliss as some say. Once we do the TWT or other and go further into the park I may agree with others about the NHT but for now we are happy. And for those that do not want to spend more than 4 hours on a bus, I would recommend the NHT. Sorry all but that is an honest opinion.

And I have been to DisneyWorld 4 times and even the parking lots are nice. :) I disagree that not getting out of the parking lot at WDW is like the NHT.

Thank you for all of your feedback on the cruisetours. We plan to do a land tour in a couple of years and I've always thought we would be better to do it completely on our own. Now I will know to investigate possible cruisetour options that provide flexibility to make our own adjustments in excursions.

We wil be getting to Denali Lodge sometime after 5:30pm on Sept 10th, staying over night and leaving for McKinley lodge Sat 9/11 around 2:00pm.

Thanks for the input, I will check out your suggestion.

That late in the year, you have no possibility to get out and back on a shuttle as the first shuttles don't leave the WAC until 7:15am. You are pretty much stuck with the DNHT.

That late in the year, you have no possibility to get out and back on a shuttle as the first shuttles don't leave the WAC until 7:15am. You are pretty much stuck with the DNHT.

Well, they could take the 7.15am shuttle to Wonder Lake but would need to hop off somewhere between Igloo and Polychrome to catch the first camper bus back to the entrance (about 9.30am). The second camper bus gets back at 1.55pm to the WAC but that is cutting it too close for comfort.

Unfortunately that would be your only other option and I am not sure it gives you that much more.

OK, forget the parking lot comparison. The NHT is like going to Disneyland and only seeing Main Street. The TWT gets you the rest of the park. :D

Much much better analogy. I have never liked the parking lot comparison.

.....I wanted much more than an appetizer. You talk about being on a budget, but why would you spend all you are spending on a cruisetour and then miss the main attraction? JMHO.

Excellent point, Vbmom. You summed it up right there in a nutshell.

Many who travel are on a budget, but this is not the place to economize. If you are trying to save money, there are so many other, better ways to do it.

Many who travel are on a budget, but this is not the place to economize. If you are trying to save money, there are so many other, better ways to do it.

...especially when Denali can be done so inexpensively to begin with. Shuttle bus costs under $50 for the entire day.

...especially when Denali can be done so inexpensively to begin with. Shuttle bus costs under $50 for the entire day.

Exactly, and if on a budget it is less expensive to do land on your own and use that savings for better port excursions.

Thank you for all of your feedback on the cruisetours. We plan to do a land tour in a couple of years and I've always thought we would be better to do it completely on our own. Now I will know to investigate possible cruisetour options that provide flexibility to make our own adjustments in excursions.
We opted for a cruisetour in '04 for a variety of reasons, including a very attractive price for the time frame we were able to travel, our desire to take the train rather than drive (previously spent 4 weeks touring AK and wanted a different kind of vacation), and hectic work schedules that made planning our own tour impossible. We chose an itinerary that included the TWT and left time for other activities, and were happy with our choice overall. The included activities (Alaska Native Heritage center, TWT, and Fairbanks riverboat and gold mine) were all on our wish list anyways, so for us it was a good value, and a relaxing vacation. Next time will probably opt to rent a car and go on our own, but depends on prices and availability when we are ready to start planning again.

Wolfie11 - Thank you for that info, I guess we will enjoy whatever scenery we see in the time we have. I want to thank everyone for their opinions and suggestions. I know there is so much to see in such a magnificant place, but like most people time is a factor.:) Thanks.

Yeah, like skipping the cruise tour entirely and just doing the cruise! Honestly that would be my recommendation ... best use of your money. :D

Yeah, like skipping the cruise tour entirely and just doing the cruise! Honestly that would be my recommendation ... best use of your money. :D

I agree. If you want to spend time on land, you can do it cheaper on your own.

Or skipping both and just doing an independent landtour! Heresy to some, but a much better experience for many. And you get to spend more than just a few hours in each port town. I find this can be the most economical, depending on what you do, where you go, where you stay, where you eat, etc.

Many of the components of these land tours are much pricier as a package vs. doing it on your own. My wife and I are going to Glacier Bay with a special rate for lodging and 2 for 1 coupons for boat trip and activities. Quite simply, you pay for the convenience of the package.

Or skipping both and just doing an independent landtour! Heresy to some, but a much better experience for many. And you get to spend more than just a few hours in each port town. I find this can be the most economical, depending on what you do, where you go, where you stay, where you eat, etc.

You know, I was actually more impressed with what I saw from the cruise ship and the ports than I was with our 9 day independent land trip. We were on HAL with its smaller ship and we actually travelled through Grenville Channel. ( I know doesn't mean the next time it would be the same, but I hit the jackpot) We were surrounded by so much beautiful scenery everyday. Glacier Bay was like paradise. Tracy Arm (we did this independently) was magnificent. The train ride to Carcross was phenomonal. Nothing on our land trip compared to what we saw from the cruise. JMHO I know we are all different in what we like, but the scenery we were able to see from the cruise itinerary was definitely the highlight for us.

I totally agree that time is port is too short. However, to travel independently to each port would get very costly. We originally priced doing SE Alaska via the Marine Highway and it was going to be too costly. For those with unlimited funds, yes, traveling to each port and spending a few days at each would be ideal. Just not cost effective for many, like myself.

I totally agree that time is port is too short. However, to travel independently to each port would get very costly. We originally priced doing SE Alaska via the Marine Highway and it was going to be too costly. For those with unlimited funds, yes, traveling to each port and spending a few days at each would be ideal. Just not cost effective for many, like myself.

It really depends on how one travels and what one does. I spent two weeks in SE Alaska and spent under $2,500 total (one person - would have been almost double for two) including lots of independent tours. If one wants the best lodging in each town and eats out every day for every meal, they wouldn't come close to this price. But I ate well and had a great time including two whale watch tours, two glacier tours, a bear watch excursion and Misty Fjords flightseeing. Did a lot more than that, but it gives an idea. Coupons helped a great deal, some of which would have been impossible to use if on a cruise. Glacier Bay can be done independently (and better than on a larger cruise ship) and Tracy Arm is also best done on the small boats from Juneau, which most people on cruises can't take since they are not in Juneau long enough. Flights using miles and Alaska Air companion certificates can really help too. There are so many ways to save when traveling independently. No need to have unlimited funds to do it!

Archived