Book early, or wait for a price drop?

mainewoods

I am looking at a round-trip transatlantic (scheduled a year from now). The price is about $3000 more (for two of us) than one that's coming up in about three months.

My questions are:

What are the pros/cons of booking early vs. waiting to see if a future cruise price will come down? I've always booked the room/deck I wanted (maybe I've just answered my own question)... But I still wonder about the difference in price.

What do you think is the general rule of thumb (if there is one) for the time of booking so that you have a good chance of getting the category you want?

I see folks that mentioned "wait list", and that they don't know what room they're in. What is that, and how close to the cruise date do you usually see that?

I've only been on two QM2 cruises so far (only two ever). The first time I booked by calling Cunard directly, and the second cruise was booked while I was onboard. Neither one came down in price once I booked (at least not that I was aware of).

I am looking at a round-trip transatlantic (scheduled a year from now). The price is about $3000 more (for two of us) than one that's coming up in about three months.

My questions are:

What are the pros/cons of booking early vs. waiting to see if a future cruise price will come down? I've always booked the room/deck I wanted (maybe I've just answered my own question)... But I still wonder about the difference in price.

What do you think is the general rule of thumb (if there is one) for the time of booking so that you have a good chance of getting the category you want?

I see folks that mentioned "wait list", and that they don't know what room they're in. What is that, and how close to the cruise date do you usually see that?

I've only been on two QM2 cruises so far (only two ever). The first time I booked by calling Cunard directly, and the second cruise was booked while I was onboard. Neither one came down in price once I booked (at least not that I was aware of).

Booking early, you can stete the exact cabin you want, leave to the last minute and you will normally be offered a guarantee, whci guarantees a cabin in your grade, but not necessarilly in the best location. Booking early also, imo, optimises the chances of the upgrade fairy.

Wait list is usually when the cruise is booked and you are put on a waitlist waiting for possible cancellations.

I've always booked way in advance so I can have the "special" cabin on previous cruises. We booked a B3 in Jan 2010....my sister booked a guarantee inside in May 2010. She ended up with a beautiful large ocean view cabin and she paid 65% less than we did. You can guess who had a better time! Next time I'll take my chances on QM2 and book later. The Qm2 rides so well that one room ins't better than another plus balconies are almost worthless on the Atlantic as the ship moves faster than cruise ships hence more wind. Our cabin never came down a penny until after final payments were made!

Book now to get the cabin you want. Then keep checking the prices on-line to see if it comes down. When and if it does, then call Cunard or your travel agent and they will get the new, lower price for you. If it goes up instead, then you are ahead of the game. Of course after you make final payment, then you are stuck and Cunard probably will not give you the lower price.

This is what we always do and four of our last five cruises on the QM2 the cost went down and we got the new, lower fare well after the initial booking.

When and if it does, then call Cunard or your travel agent and they will get the new, lower price for you.

When the price of our roundtrip dropped we were told that Cunard do not refund any costs, and that the best we could hope for was an upgrade, which we got.

You don't say which side of the pond you are, so it may vary dependent on that of course.

I have to add that this was the only time we ever got an upgrade, other than the result of a painting left out in the rain, they only ever seem to happen to other people (and we've done early and late bookings)

My questions are:

Hi Mainewoods. I don't see any downside to booking early since here in the USA you can get a refund if you cancel prior to final booking (but check your travel agent's conditions as some charge a cancellation fee). Plus you can get price adjustments up to final payment date.

I've booked while on-board, but most often I book thru an on-line discount travel agent. But I call her on the phone rather than booking on-line to discuss any possible past passenger discount, OBC etc. Anytime I've seen a decrease in the fare prior to final payment, I've asked for and received an adjustment.

Regards,

Salacia

When the price of our roundtrip dropped we were told that Cunard do not refund any costs, and that the best we could hope for was an upgrade, which we got.

You don't say which side of the pond you are, so it may vary dependent on that of course.

I have to add that this was the only time we ever got an upgrade, other than the result of a painting left out in the rain, they only ever seem to happen to other people (and we've done early and late bookings)

This has recently been discussed in another thread. In the UK there is no refund on the deposit. If the price goes down (in the UK) then your only choice is to accept the original (total) price or cancel and lose your deposit. After you have paid the balance the refund reduces eventually down to 0%.

I believe that in the USA the policy there is that the deposit is higher (around 20%?) but that it is refundable up until the time that you have to pay the balance.

Sometimes OPs forget that there are people on both sides of the pond on this forum.

This has recently been discussed in another thread. In the UK there is no refund on the deposit. If the price goes down (in the UK) then your only choice is to accept the original (total) price or cancel and lose your deposit. After you have paid the balance the refund reduces eventually down to 0%.

I believe that in the USA the policy there is that the deposit is higher (around 20%?) but that it is refundable up until the time that you have to pay the balance.

Sometimes OPs forget that there are people on both sides of the pond on this forum.

It's easy to forget the oceans that divide us because there is so much that unites us. But it isn't it interesting to share information about our different booking regulations? :)

Cheers,

Salacia

as I have posted elsewhere, we always (so far) leave booking late, this is mainly because we don't decide when or where we are going until a few weeks before, mainly due to work or family reasons.

Once we have decided when, we start shopping around for the best deal, not always a cruise, we had a fantastic late deal on Barbados a few years ago, £750 each, 2 weeks all inclusive, including flights from the UK at a West Coast hotel close to Sandy Lane.

We are not too fussy about rooms, cabins etc. as long as they are OK, we are happy to take what we can get at the best VFM and so far have not been disappointed, especially with Cunard, who we have sailed with several times and now seem to get an upgrade automatically.

I am also a member of a discount club which costs me £2/m. and on my last cruise with Cunard saved me over £400 (15%) 0n Thomascooks on-line price and on my next another 7% off an already heavily discounted price.

So the choice is yours, if you want surity of booking and cabin allocation, book early, if you want the best prices, book late.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think that after careful thought (and reading your posts) that I might wait just a little bit and watch the prices. But I'm afraid that if I wait too long then I risk not getting the deck/category (sheltered balcony) that I would like.

Decisions decisions.

Thank you again for your kind posts.

Ooops, I'm sorry Salacia. Yes, I am in Maine, USA.

Mainwoods,

Then I think you have nothing to lose by booking now, unless your voyage is less than three months away (in which case full payment would be do upon booking). I've played the waiting game when I wasn't certain we would be able to get the time off. By the time I was certain, everything was waitlist only. Bummer.:(

What voyage are you looking at?

BTW, love your state. Vacationed on Sebago Lake a few times :)

Salacia

Mainwoods,

What voyage are you looking at?

BTW, love your state. Vacationed on Sebago Lake a few times :)

Salacia

Thanks, we love the state too. We're located up near Moosehead Lake.

Looking at either the November Caribbean (but a little too soon - can't save enough vacation time - and don't want to leave the house empty in the winter). Considering the Aug 2011 round-trip transatlantic. But... I want my cake and eat it too (or should I say 'scones'). I want a nice sheltered balcony, but am hoping for a price drop (hence, why I'm worried about waiting).

I just got back from the July 1 Halifax/Boston voyage. I'm already looking at another cruise. Geeze, I should at least wait till my bank account agrees...

I hope this means that they keep a percentage available to us Brits then, because it seems unfair that Americans can book on a whim and cancel, whereas we can't!

:(

Hi Kevankiki. Well, it's not exactly a whim...we do have to plunk down a healthy deposit when booking. Cunard has use of our money for as long as the reservation is in place. And cancellation date is well in advance of the voyage (I believe it differs depending on the voyage, but I've always been required to pay in full 90 days prior to departure). If we don't pay up, the cabins are released to any interested party. Some have found that if there are enough vacancies at that point, the rates are lowered.

There are several differences between bookings in the UK and elsewhere. I don't believe this is the result of Cunard policy, but rather industry-wide standards. As we say in the States, if you want to change the laws, write your Government Representative :)

Regards,

Salacia

Hi Kevankiki. Well, it's not exactly a whim...we do have to plunk down a healthy deposit when booking.

A hefty deposit that you can get back and use for another cruise, should you wish!

I'm sorry, but I feel the whole system should be fairer for all!

Don't know where the problems lies. I do know other cruiselines prices vary during the year. Once I booked the QM2 for June 6 Land of Midnight Sun the price didn't vary a penny. There were 3 segments to this cruise. Final payment was made March 9, 2010. Soon after March 9, the prices started to come down....we were stuck as were all the other people who paid before March 9. Next time I will wait to book until after final payments have been made. I believe Celebrity does things better. We booked a mid ship balcony for a cruise from Honolulu to Auckland. There were several price cuts during the year of our reservations. Celebrity cut our cruise fare each time. After final payments were made we able to book the Royal Suite for the same price as the balcony. We were not penalized in anyway...they wanted our business. Once I paid my final on Cunard there were NO cabin changes without penalties....:(

Thanks, we love the state too. We're located up near Moosehead Lake.

Looking at either the November Caribbean (but a little too soon - can't save enough vacation time - and don't want to leave the house empty in the winter). Considering the Aug 2011 round-trip transatlantic. But... I want my cake and eat it too (or should I say 'scones'). I want a nice sheltered balcony, but am hoping for a price drop (hence, why I'm worried about waiting).

I just got back from the July 1 Halifax/Boston voyage. I'm already looking at another cruise. Geeze, I should at least wait till my bank account agrees...

Hi Mainewoods...oh, now I understand why you want to wait to book, given the two voyages you are considering and the pros and cons of each. BTW, have you noticed the Jan QM2 Caribbean cruise r/t NY? I don't know if that works for your schedule (it doesn't work for mine), but the fares are very attractive.;)

I haven't yet taken a trans-atlantic voyage yet, but we very much enjoyed 4 Caribbean/Bahama cruises, and found them far more fun than the 2 Boston/Halifax cruises we took.

Regards,

Salacia

A hefty deposit that you can get back and use for another cruise, should you wish!

I'm sorry, but I feel the whole system should be fairer for all!

Kevankiki, I'm sorry too. Perhaps one reason for the difference in industry wide rules can be attributed to the fact that, unlike many European countries, in the USA there are no laws mandating minimum paid holidays and paid vacations.* Many of us have jobs that make advance vacation planning difficult if not impossible. No doubt about it, life isn't fair but then again, no one ever promised it would be :)

Regards,

Salacia

*For additional information see http://www.chicagofed.org/digital_assets/publications/economic_perspectives/2003/3qeppart2.pdf

From everything I hear, it is far better over here in the US. We can book a cruise and cancel, if we wish, up until 90 days prior to the cruise. In the UK, once you book nothing is returned. Furthermore, we booked quite early on our next cruise. Then, I saw on one of the ads on the Internet that the price had dropped for our cruise. This is after we had paid in full. We called Cunard, who were going to drop our price, on the spot, but when the Cunard agent learned that we had a TA, he told us that we must deal with the TA. It took a little doing, but we did receive most of the price difference from the TA. And I think that is excellent, particularly because the money was refunded after we had already paid in full. I have always found Cunard more than willing to accommodate most requests and always to be very pleasant to deal with.:)

BTW, have you noticed the Jan QM2 Caribbean cruise r/t NY? I don't know if that works for your schedule (it doesn't work for mine), but the fares are very attractive.;)

Salacia,

Yes, I did see the Jan QM2 Caribbean cruise... that too is tempting. I guess I'll have to think about it a while... There's pros and cons to each decision I have. Maybe I might have to stick to the shorter New England cruises for a little while longer.

Salacia,

Yes, I did see the Jan QM2 Caribbean cruise... that too is tempting. I guess I'll have to think about it a while... There's pros and cons to each decision I have. Maybe I might have to stick to the shorter New England cruises for a little while longer.

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, the number of r/t NY voyages for 2011 are far less than this year. Not many options for us East Coasters that don't involve long flights. :(

BTW, do you know about putting a deposit on a future cruise (no specific cruise required) when your on board? I think it's called a future cruise credit? ---Anyone have more info on that?

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, the number of r/t NY voyages for 2011 are far less than this year. Not many options for us East Coasters that don't involve long flights. :(

BTW, do you know about putting a deposit on a future cruise (no specific cruise required) when your on board? I think it's called a future cruise credit? ---Anyone have more info on that?

See the future sales office. $300 per person. Gets you onboard credit which is combinable with group onboard credit as well as stockholder onboard credit.

Once you are ready to book your cruise, the two future cruise certificates are applied to the booking as your deposit

See the future sales office. $300 per person. Gets you onboard credit which is combinable with group onboard credit as well as stockholder onboard credit.

Once you are ready to book your cruise, the two future cruise certificates are applied to the booking as your deposit

Ocngypz, thanks for that info. When I see the future sales office while on board QM2, what is the term I use? Is 'future booking credit' the correct wording?

I own no cruise line stocks, so stockholder credit applies in my case, but it's nice (very professional) that you include that info.

Regards,

Salacia

P.S. When I booked a specific cruise last year while on board QM2, it worked very well; kudos to both the Cunard Future Sales Office folks and my travel agent.

Archived