Renting a Car in Monte Carlo

ddpe

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has rented a car in Monte Carlo to drive into France for the day. We would like to go to St. Paul de Vence and back. Is this difficult? Where can one park in St. Paul de Vence on a Saturday? Do you know where most of the rental car establishments are in Monte Carlo? Any on the Fairmont property?

We do not want to take public transportation. My husband is allergic to waiting for buses. Would take a train and then taxi, but have been told that the taxis may be hard to come by on the way back.

Thanks very much,

ddpe

We have rented cars in MC on several ocasions and also done a lot of driving vacations in the south of France. Driving to St Paul de Vence is not difficult and you would have two basic routes. One possibility is to drive towards Nice on one of the Corniche roads (the middle Corniche goes right by the village of Eze) and then continue through Nice towards the airport afterwhich you will see signs for the turnoff that takes you towards St Paul de Vence (having a GPS is a great option). The other route is to drive to the autostrade (A8)and then take that road to the Cagnes sur Mer exit where you will see signs to get to St Paul de Vence. As to parking, there is a large pay parking garage located just past the entrance to St Paul de Vence where we have always found plenty of parking. There is also some free parking along the road, but finding these spots take a bit of luck.

Hank

Thanks so much. My husband obtained his international driver's license from AAA to day so I think this is what we will do.

Well, many do feel comfortable having one of those International Driving Permits. However, the reality is that in most countries (including France) nobody will ever ask to see that document...all they want is your US/Canadian license. In more then 35 years of European driving we have never used the thing. On the other hand, they are technically required in Italy (although nobody has every asked us for the document after more then 10,000 miles of driving).

Hank

Hi Hitner,

I have driven frequently in Germany on business as well without one, but was told by friends that if you were ever in an accident and the local police investigating have trouble with English, it would be a help. It is supposed to be the translation of your driver's license into local languages. That's it. It was $15 so no biggie.

Archived