Full suites on Ruby

ActiveTraveler

We did the Ruby cruise in May and are experienced cruisers and European travelers. My husband and I are in our early 60's. It is port intensive and very physically challenging. We had a forward balcony on the Aloha deck and it was fine for the short amount of time we spent in it. We had a fabulous time but it was exhausting. Another thought Active Traveler is for you to start cruising on a seven day Princess ship to the Carribean which leaves and returns from the same port. It would give you the chance to familiarize yourself with the ship and you can see if you even like cruising.

I would suggest that you travel with your mother to see how she likes it and if you are compatible in a small space. To start out on a 12-day cruise in Europe is most ambitious!

I am sorry to change the subject a bit, but did not want to start a whole new thread for my Ruby suite question. I am currently booked in OS A752 on the Ruby next year. I have cruised in aft corner cabins before and the beam really is not a big problem for me.

I am curious as the PS next to the OS on my cruise looks to be very much the same size. Has anyone been in the PS suite on the Aloha and can offer a comparison?

I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Go with a TA. Forget about the princess booking engine.

Were there not recent reports Carnival changed its policy to prohibit discounts by travel agents and HAL is going to follow suit? Other Cruise Critic members said they are now afraid Princess will do the same because HAL and RCI, also owned by Carnival, will do it if their policies have not changed already. If their fears come true, it is wise to look at Princess prices because any travel agent would give me the same numbers.

Were there not recent reports Carnival changed its policy to prohibit discounts by travel agents and HAL is going to follow suit? Other Cruise Critic members said they are now afraid Princess will do the same because HAL and RCI, also owned by Carnival, will do it if their policies have not changed already. If their fears come true, it is wise to look at Princess prices because any travel agent would give me the same numbers.

Why are you worrying about something that may or may not happen? If you want the cruise find a good TA, book whatever cabin you want and watch the prices. You have until at least 90 days prior to the cruise to cancel.

The big difference, for you, would be that a TA will guide you through the entire travel process while booking with Princess will not.

Why are you worrying about something that may or may not happen? If you want the cruise find a good TA, book whatever cabin you want and watch the prices. You have until at least 90 days prior to the cruise to cancel.

Because other people are worrying about it, of course! I was just thinking what some of the other people did, so if I deserve criticism for it, they do too. In reality, I only tried to get the prices for a full suite on the Ruby's Aloha and Baja decks, not book an itinerary through Princess.

I am sorry to change the subject a bit, but did not want to start a whole new thread for my Ruby suite question. I am currently booked in OS A752 on the Ruby next year. I have cruised in aft corner cabins before and the beam really is not a big problem for me.

I am curious as the PS next to the OS on my cruise looks to be very much the same size. Has anyone been in the PS suite on the Aloha and can offer a comparison?

I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

We have sailed in A 753 several times (it's on the starboard side exactly like the one you have booked currently). Before disembarking in May I was able to go into A751 which was the PS next door. The cabin is not as large as the OS. The difference is in the entry area and the dining area. It does have a very large balcony. I think it's actually a little deeper than the OS. The sleeping area and bathroom are exactly the same as the OS. I thought it was a very nice cabin and wouldn't hesitate to book it if an OS was not available.

Because other people are worrying about it, of course! I was just thinking what some of the other people did, so if I deserve criticism for it, they do too. In reality, I only tried to get the prices for a full suite on the Ruby's Aloha and Baja decks, not book an itinerary through Princess.

I am not criticizing, I am trying to give you some advice as everyone else also is trying to do. You don't seem to want to accept any advice. If you book now and the price goes down before final payment you will get the reduced price, or you can change cabin categories. Just DO IT!!

I am not criticizing, I am trying to give you some advice as everyone else also is trying to do. You don't seem to want to accept any advice. If you book now and the price goes down before final payment you will get the reduced price, or you can change cabin categories. Just DO IT!!

I don't think the OP is able to book now, as she is not looking to cruise until 2013!

That is why I have not talked to a travel agent or read any guidebooks yet.

I wasn't being critical, just pointing out to a PP that you can't book yet ;) I am sure you are getting loads of great advice from CC in the interim, but I would advise perhaps that you chill out a little. :)

The ONLY way to get pricing on the Princess or ANY other cruise site is to partially go through the booking process. It's just the way it's done. If you have no patience with it, then you will just have to wait until the actual prices come out sometime in 2012 and go through a good travel agent.

Then where is she getting the prices from??? Princess does not put pricing on their website until the cruise is open for booking.

Princess.com, of course. I looked up 2011 Europe cruises just to see what I might pay based on the embarkation and debarkation ports, month (April or May), number of days (12), and ship (Ruby). Under the description of the itinerary is a chart with the cheapest price for each cabin type, but I was misled into thinking a suite and minisuite both cost the same amount. That was why I got mad when other people said no, suites are much more expensive than minisuites. The bottom line is I learned something about getting a cabin price and realized I cannot afford a full suite. If I could, I would sail on Crystal.

Because other people are worrying about it, of course!

Princess.com, of course.

Your replies always seem so sarcastic!

I thought (silly me) that after dozens and dozens of posters have reminded you that you never seem to listen and you are never satisfied with the answers you are given, you would have changed the tone in your posts and perhaps even thanked someone by now.

Don't see it happening.

I hope you find your perfect cruise on your perfect ship with the perfect amount of cabin square footage going to your perfect destinations and serving your perfect desserts and apple juice in your perfect cafe with a price and date that are perfect for you.

You couldn't find it on Crystal or Celebrity. Perhaps Princess will do it for you.

Princess.com, of course. I looked up 2011 Europe cruises just to see what I might pay based on the embarkation and debarkation ports, month (April or May), number of days (12), and ship (Ruby). Under the description of the itinerary is a chart with the cheapest price for each cabin type, but I was misled into thinking a suite and minisuite both cost the same amount. That was why I got mad when other people said no, suites are much more expensive than minisuites. The bottom line is I learned something about getting a cabin price and realized I cannot afford a full suite. If I could, I would sail on Crystal.

Of course you realize that 2011 prices are no indication of 2013 prices.

Andrea,

Just some advice from my experience...i did the 12 night med on the golden princess in my late 20's with my cousin a few years ago...i do recommend at least a standard balcony cabin...you will really not be spending that much time in your cabin especially since it's your first cruise and first time in the med. You will either be on land all day or relaxing in other areas of the ship-i am sure you won't want to miss out on any action judging from your enthusiasm on these boards :) As long as you can relax on your balcony i think it is really enough for this trip. There is a lot of extra spending you have to consider as far as excursions, taxis, meals and shopping on land. You will be happy you didn't spend thousands more on a cabin you may not be in that much when you can be using it on other things. I wouldn't spend a fortune just to have breakfast in sabitini's, just have dinner there! and just send your laundry out , it's not that expensive...

if you are generally concerned about the size of a cabin then maybe a cruise isn't for you since the rooms are much smaller than hotels, even a full suite may disappoint you if it's something you aren't used to. I know you can't cruise until 2013 but is there any way you can take a weekend cruise just to get the idea of what one is like?

It would be nice if someone here would invite you on one of the bon voyage tours because the suspense may drive you crazy for the next three years :)

honestly i wish you a great trip no matter what you decide, you will love europe...

jennifer

Thank you so much for the info. I may look into the PS instead. I think a larger balcony may be what we want for this trip as 12 family members will want to have cocktails in our cabin on occasion.

Thank you again.

Archived