Full suites on Ruby

ActiveTraveler

For a long time I thought booking a full suite is just throwing money away because I do not need a bathtub, three beds, champagne, two televisions, etc. But I do want the free laundry and Internet and would love to eat breakfast at Sabatini's and watch a DVD. As I have stated before, 233 square feet is not big enough for a two-week cruise. I also did not like reading about the vibrations and movement people felt when they had aft rooms and all full suites are at the aft end of the ship. Now I wonder if I should splurge on a full suite for the space and perks or settle for a balcony cabin with the bare mininum space and amenities just to be near midship. Both options are on Aloha deck, between decks with only cabins, so I don't expect passenger noise to be a problem. But the movement the ship makes while docking early in the morning could bother me if it wakes me up. I need help to decide whether I should book a suite or not because of the suite locations and balcony cabin size both being major concerns. Because my cruise will be long, I'm not willing to gamble and hope I choose the right cabin type if I don't have to.

We always have aft suites rather than those mid-ships on Riviera deck and I can honestly say that we have never heard any engine noise nor felt any vibration whatsoever when the ship is maneuvering either into or out of part. The balconies on aft suites are also much larger than those on Riveriera deck.

We particularly like the fact that there is vitually no foot traffic whatsoever down back and the privacy that those suites afford on the balcony.

I couldn't contemplate the idea of taking a regular balcony cabin or mini-suite over a full suite for any reason.

We always have aft suites rather than those mid-ships on Riviera deck and I can honestly say that we have never heard any engine noise nor felt any vibration whatsoever when the ship is maneuvering either into or out of part. The balconies on aft suites are also much larger than those on Riveriera deck.

We particularly like the fact that there is vitually no foot traffic whatsoever down back and the privacy that those suites afford on the balcony.

I couldn't contemplate the idea of taking a regular balcony cabin or mini-suite over a full suite for any reason.

I agree entirely and any vibration is short-lived and not intrusive, but your last sentence shows the danger of having an aft suite!

Full suites are a wonderful luxury if they are in your budget. However, the money you save by booking a balcony cabin can pay for a lot of laundry and internet :) and maybe another cruise.

We love the fact that you can have a full meal delivered to your suite without charge from room service - although you can pay for the ultimate balcony dinner and have it on your regular balcony.

We like that in a suite you get preferential treatment for reservations for dinner.

We never felt any issues from the vibrations and would happily book a suite again when it is in our budget.

I agree entirely and any vibration is short-lived and not intrusive, but your last sentence shows the danger of having an aft suite!

Well if that's living danerously then you can count on it that I'll continue to take that risk..!! :D

Presuming you are still cruising solo if you can afford to spend an additional $6,000 to $8000 (aprox. difference) in price over your balcony cabin to stay in a suite by all means stay in one. As has been said to you other times, your overall budget for this Meditteranean cruise and land trip you wish to do in 2013 need to dictate much about the choices you make for this trip.

Presuming you are still cruising solo if you can afford to spend an additional $6,000 to $8000 (aprox. difference) in price over your balcony cabin to stay in a suite by all means stay in one. As has been said to you other times, your overall budget for this Mediterranean cruise and land trip you wish to do in 2013 need to dictate much about the choices you make for this trip.

I changed my mind and decided to cruise with my mom first. :)

When I described my land trip plans, I was only thinking about what I want to do if I am able to pay forr it. I was not saying that is definitely what I will do in 2013. :rolleyes:

My question was is a full suite worth the additional cost considering its location? :confused:

I guess it depends on what you will be doing on the cruise. If you plan on staying in your cabin most of the time you will probably want a full suite. If you plan on taking excursions then a balcony or even an inside would suffice.

I love the location of the aft suites. You are more secluded. Less chance of pranksters knocking on your door. Slight, gentle rocking.

I think it's worth it, if I can afford it. I sometimes book a mini, sometimes a full suite. Yes, when I'm in a mini, I sometimes miss some of the extras but the cruise is still a cruise. I like the Internet, thermal suite use, free laundry. The breakfast at Sabatini's was wonderful and for folks who say crusing is not what is was 10 or more years ago, Sabatini's I think would remind passengers of that style of cruising. Very individual service and the food was wonderful. Liked starting the day with a mimosa.

I guess it depends on what you will be doing on the cruise. If you plan on staying in your cabin most of the time you will probably want a full suite. If you plan on taking excursions then a balcony or even an inside would suffice.

Are you sure two adults would not feel cramped in a small room? I just thought balcony cabins would feel too small if I spent two weeks in one with my mom. Even with a lot of time in port and other rooms on the ship, I still have to be in my cabin with her for more than just sleeping, grooming, and changing clothes. For sleeping it is OK but what else I have to do in there while my mom also is busy or just taking a break concerns me. Of course, I realize I may be stressing over something that is not a problem for most other people, but the full suite perks certainly could make all that worrying worth $600.

Are you sure two adults would not feel cramped in a small room? I just thought balcony cabins would feel too small if I spent two weeks in one with my mom. Even with a lot of time in port and other rooms on the ship, I still have to be in my cabin with her for more than just sleeping, grooming, and changing clothes. For sleeping it is OK but what else I have to do in there while my mom also is busy or just taking a break concerns me. Of course, I realize I may be stressing over something that is not a problem for most other people, but the full suite perks certainly could make all that worrying worth $600.

If you can get a full suite for $600 more than a standard inside - GO FOR IT!! Actually a full suite on a 7 day Carib in the spring is $1100 more than a balccony and $1500 more than an inside. Also, the inside size of a balccony is the same as the inside size of a standard inside cabin. I guess it all depends on what one can afford.

No, a full suite is $600 more than a standard balcony.

Interestingly, a minisuite is the same price.

Whilst I had no issues with 2 sharing a balcony cabin on the Ruby on my 12 day med cruise, if I could get a full suite for only $600 more, I would say that it is a no-brainer and would wonder why you were even asking the question :D

I don't know when or what ship or length of cruise she is going on but if a full suite can be had for only $600 more than a balcony she had better grab it quick before her TA realizes the mistake.

I wish she would post what cruise it's on because I want to book it.:D

No, a full suite is $600 more than a standard balcony.

Interestingly, a minisuite is the same price.

Yes, that's very interesting. Looking at a Med cruise on the Ruby in May 2011 I'm seeing standard balcony cabins going for $3440 to $3840 per person. A FULL suite ranges from $6440 to $7940 per person.

Like others have said, if someone is telling you you can get a FULL suite for only $600 more than a standard balcony, book it now! And please do let us know how it works out for you. :rolleyes:

Whilst I had no issues with 2 sharing a balcony cabin on the Ruby on my 12 day med cruise, if I could get a full suite for only $600 more, I would say that it is a no-brainer and would wonder why you were even asking the question.

I asked that question because if I don't need a full suite, there is no reason to pay $600 that can be used for more time in Italy before and/or after the cruise.

I wish she would post what cruise it's on because I want to book it.

It is the 12-day Grand Mediterranean Barcelona to Venice, embarking May 16, 2011 on the Ruby. The cost of a full suite is $3,940. A standard balcony costs $3,340. The only reason I saw that one was 2013 itineraries are not available yet, so to get pricing ideas, I needed to select 2011 cruises in my search.

Yes, that's very interesting. Looking at a Med cruise on the Ruby in May 2011 I'm seeing standard balcony cabins going for $3440 to $3840 per person. A FULL suite ranges from $6440 to $7940 per person.

Like others have said, if someone is telling you you can get a FULL suite for only $600 more than a standard balcony, book it now! And please do let us know how it works out for you. :rolleyes:

A northern Europe itinerary is $3,440. I did not see the other prices anywhere for a WM cruise in April or May 2011, but maybe we were looking at different cruises.

I asked that question because if I don't need a full suite, there is no reason to pay $600 that can be used for more time in Italy before and/or after the cruise.

Of course, you know your own personal circumstances best, but in your original post, you said that you would like free internet, free laundry, to eat breakfast in Sabatini's, watch a DVD and that "233 square feet is not big enough for a two-week cruise" which seemed to be an important factor to you. So only you can answer the question as to whether all that is worth $600 or whether you would prefer to spend it in Italy pre or post cruise. Me personally? I would definitely opt for the suite :)

I was looking at the same cruise, I believe. We did the reverse itinerary this past May.

12 days Barcelona to Venice on the Ruby starting May 16, 2011. You have to click on Details & Availability to look at the cabin categories and prices. The least expensive FULL suite is $6340 per person. The $3940 you're talking about is for a MINI suite on either Dolphin or Emerald deck.

I was looking at this one:

http://www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do?time=176&trade=E&ship=RU&duration=&port=&date=0511&orderBy=&filterBy=&resType=C&pageOffset=&bID=PCPB

12 days Barcelona to Venice on the Ruby starting May 16, 2011. You have to click on Details & Availability to look at the cabin categories and prices. The least expensive FULL suite is $6340 per person. The $3940 you're talking about is for a MINI suite on either Dolphin or Emerald decks.

Perhaps the conundrum is solved at last.... :eek: :p

You have to click on Details & Availability to look at the cabin categories and prices. The least expensive FULL suite is $6340 per person. The $3940 you're talking about is for a MINI suite on either Dolphin or Emerald deck.

That's exactly what I'm seeing. ;)

I changed my mind and decided to cruise with my mom first. :)

When I described my land trip plans, I was only thinking about what I want to do if I am able to pay forr it. I was not saying that is definitely what I will do in 2013. :rolleyes:

My question was is a full suite worth the additional cost considering its location? :confused:

First of all, hopefully you realize by now that $600 more pp won't get you a full suite on any deck. In you original post you talked about the aft suites on Aloha which are PS or OS. Full suites are the only ones that give you the all amenities and more space that you've talked about and those will cost you total between $6000-$8000 more than the regular balcony cabin you'd been looking at.

Is it worth spending the additional money for the full suites? Sorry to have to repeat myself again but only if it fits in your budget. Can't imagine anyone not enjoying a stay in a full suite as they should for that cost but not needed to enjoy a wonderful cruise.

My budget doesn't allow for that kind of expenditure to enjoy a wonderful cruise experience. If we ever do splurge on a full suite it won't be on a short 12 night port intensive cruise with only 2 sea days but would be on a longer than 14 night cruise with lots and lots of sea days.

We had a PH on the Ruby and on the Emerald. While the overall experience was great (laundry, interenet, and breakfast at Sabatinis), in hindsight I probably shoulda booked a mini. Spent a fist full of dollars paying for these two cruises that could have went to several more future cruises. Now that money is a little tighter, I'm a mini convert. Just wish I could convince my DW to let me book a balcony so we sould cruise more often.

Bob

Archived