Brilliance 7/2-7/14 Venice Review

Hi all just back from a amazing trip. I will be posting this review in bits and pieces since I am already back to university. Just a little about me before I start the review. I am a college student who goes cruising with my family. This is my second time on the Brilliance, first time I was on it was when the whole George Allen Smith Murder occurred. This trip for me was going to be different from every other cruise. I got major knee surgery graciously saying two weeks before I came on board. So I would be bound to a wheelchair and a scooter. This though didn't stop me in the slightest I made friends with everybody and got to see everything I wanted to see and more. Hope you like the review and please ask questions.:)

We took the Brilliance on our honeymoon cruise, back in January 2003. At that time, it was doing 10 night Circle the Carribean cruises ...

It is such a beautiful ship, with so much glass to allow in the natural light. We love the idea of having breakfast sitting outside by the Windjammer. For us it was a perfect cruise and a perfect ship, with a perfect crew.

While we've taken many cruises since then, both on RCL and other cruise lines, we remember the Brilliance fondly and are already planning to cruise her again for our 10th anniversary.

Michael and Silke

What a breeze really the easiest I ever had. There three separate lines one for suites, C@A members, and one for general boarding. There was one group in line for suites so we made our way to the loyalty line. Really quick and efficient. It was still early around 10:50. They were moving people onto the ship, but the line started from about the end of the check-in line. Luckily a crew member took me and my wheel chair through secruity, the long line to get onboard, and we were onboard within ten minutes. The only reason for the long line was because they were taking everyone's pictures for their seapass. Which was understandable. Our cruisecritic group all wore mardi-gras beads. Our cruise-critic group was decently active here on the boards. Though we also had a facebook group which I created, and I was organizing emails constantly. So with all the effort I put in and being in the wheel chair I was easily distinguishable. As I whizzed by the line I heard a lot of there goes Andrew.

Being on the ship that early was ok, but they where still getting ready for us. I found some of our cruisecritic people by the pool, and we waited for the windjammer to open at 12. How nice it was to have the Windjammer almost empty. Will continue this later today off the physical therapy:)

I am ready to continue tonight.. I went back up to university this weekend, forgot my compasses and pics. SO now that I have everything and I have nothing to do all day.. Will be posting mid-afternoon

apk1389 - Wow - I am excited to hear about EVERYTHING! I keep watching for new reviews on the BOS and there haven't been many! We are doing a B2B Med on her next year and are dying for any info! Looking forward to your review!!:)

Canuck

after eating in the windjammer.. yes always standard windjammer food. I went off and napped. Our roll call group had a nice get together up at the sky bar to meet up. A thing for all of your roll calls to try out is to use facebook previous to the cruise. Many of us put names to faces long before the cruise even started. Stayed there for about a hour and then made our way to mustering drill at 5:15. This meant it was time to set sail. Dinner was good we had wonderful assistant waiter Ivan from the Ukraine, and Richard from the Philippines. Two of the best I have had in several cruises, or ever for that matter. There was only one show this night, I will list show time later. Besides the normal Welcome Aboard fair there was a juggler. Truly his act went on way to long and was very repititive. Ill post some pictures before I continue

We're on the Brilliance in October out of Barcelona for a 12 nighter so I'm really looking forward to your pictures and info about the ports that you visited. Thanks for working on this review!

Hi everyone.. well I have decided last week I wanted to change majors and change schools so last week and weekend I was making college visits everyday and meeting with counselors. I now have all my acceptances so now at least I have some free time. Once I get out of bed, I have everryy attention to write as much as possible today

apk - Now I feel guilty asking you where your review was...:o But....that is EXCELLENT NEWS that we can look forward to it soon!!!!:D

Thanks!!

Canuck

being typed as we speak.. dont have internet connect as im out with family, but typing it as I go will have more posted tonight

Day 1

So now that I have the official compasses in my hands. I am going to start with the beginning slightly incase I missed anything. We had brand new compass design that this was only the second cruise on the Brilliance they were using. Really not practical. Besides the normal information they had a large center insert which was only there for advertisement purposes for things to buy in the shops or for spa things. Basically we threw that part out every day. To answer one of the questions it did look like boarding had started right before eleven o’clock. What were some of the highlights of the day. Well one of the highlights of the trip was the fabulous weather near perfect weather every single day. Today it was 84 degrees and sunny in Barcelona. Day one does not have many actives, more for a get to know the ship type deal. Of course there is the Expo which occurs in the Centrum for some freebies and signing up for things that occurred from 3:30pm to 4:30pm. Bingo at 10:45 pm to win 300$ and a tour of the bridge. Finally there was triva which were always heavily attended by this cruise in the Schooner Bar at 9:15. Im sorry Im just throwing lots of things out there, but I hope it will help. I did not attend all of these things as it was nearly impossible. Dinner was casual tonight. Show times did slightly vary each night while on the sailing. There was only one show on night one at 8:15 so right in between the two seating’s. His name was Daniel Hochsteiner a juggler that I had already mentioned as very repetitive and resulted in me walking out off.. well for my case wheeling out off in my scooter. Im going to state this once and not repeat this because it was not worth it the club 18 to 20+ was again a total failed. Never attended nothing done by the staff. To close the night there was a welcome aboard dance party in Starquest with DJ Javier at 10pm to late. Not very well attended due to the fact most people where traveling and exhausted so I too hit the sack.

This is just a little abbreviated version of the crew for knowledge of those who want to know

Erik Tengelsen (Captain)- again continuing from the long list of Norwegian captains from Oslo. Started in 1971 on ships as a deck hand. Joined RCCL in 1999 and has been on the Sovereign, Majesty, Voyager, Serenade, Freedom, Radiance, and now the Brilliance. Overall Opinion- decently social captain really didn’t get a chance to know him well.

Hans C.G Bratt(Hotel Director)- worked in hospitality for 25 years in Westin, Ritz Carltonm Del Air Hotels, and Hyatts. Originally from Sweden. Opinion- this was Hans first contract and he has been on board very short amount of time. Personally I did not feel like he understood the shipboard interactions with the guests and I have seen so many better Hotel Directors.

Matt Sole(Cruise director)- originally from England and has been with RCCL since 1998. He has been on the Brilliance, Monarch, Majesty, Grandeur, Enchantment, Rhapsody, Vision, Radiance, Serenadem Explorer, and Navigator. Overall opinion Matts stage presence was decent, he really loved the whole acting and singing thing and preformed one night a scene from Glee. He is was subbing for Gordon Whatman and according to crew they really wanted Gordon back. I thought matt was great in smaller venues like trivia or getting to know him just talking around the ship. A nice guy if you got to talk to him.

Markus Zihlman( food and Beverage Manager)- Born in Switzerland and to my knowledge first time on a ship. Talked to him a lot he was always around a real nice guy

Kevin Gorman( chief engineer)- born in Ireland and has worked with RCCL since 1986 on Sovereign, Monarch, Majesty, Radiance and now the Brilliance

Armelle Koenig- Loyalty Manager- originally from France and has done several jobs such as working at epcot in France. Joined RCCL in 2006

Again with the weather lovely and hot 83. It was nice to arrive in port late to try to catch up on some sleep. We had a lovely dinner delivered to our cabin 1060. As we pulled into port we where enjoying breakfast. Time of arrival was 10am. Tendering was relatively short to get to port. For about the first hour and a half lines where long to get to shore because there was a mad rush to tender in. Make sure everyone knows last tender in is at 7:30pm. We only did a short amount of time in Cannes since we had to bring out the manual wheelchair. Cannes was nice, but not somewhere where we would come back to again. We had seen many of the other sites around Nice, Eze, and Monte Carlo on are last time here and would much recommend those of Cannes. We came back to nap again and then off to dinner. Dinner was again casual with no theme. The first session of Karaoke was tonight and not very well attended. This occurred from 11pm to midnight. Several of the activities staff had to come up and sing. They also had name that flag trivia which was impossible. Not much to say about this day was not really that active sorry will show some pictures though. A quick fact listed on the compass was there is 780 employees onboard the Brilliance.

apk - great review so far - very interesting info about the staff etc. We had Matt Sole on the Serenade and Gordon Whatman on the Radiance before - they were both wonderful. Wow - you sure must have had a challenge getting around in the ports - hope your knee is on the mend!!

Canuck

Archived