Would $2.99 drinks make YOU stop "smuggling"??

sharecruises

We smuggle only so we can play our cabin crawl game - $5 - 5 cabins - 5 shots - 5 cards.

Trust me - my group of friends and I spend a lot on the ship buying drinks - We would take advantage of the $2.99 drinks - heck even at $3.99 and $4.99 for that matter. But at $8 we draw the line and drink alot at the bars and clubs OFF the ship when in port.

Smuggle less - NO probably not

Drink more - YES

We are not lushes - just on vacation and want to have a fun time!

Those that wish to break the rules will do so, no matter what. Free drinks wouldn't help, as those same rule breakers will still find something to complain about.

Seems like the line between honesty and dishonesty is blurred here.

Thanks Mom!

More of a wine drinker here.

I'd prefer that I could bring all my own wine on, and Carnival could charge me a corkage fee for every bottle brought on board, or every bottle past their 1 bottle per person limit.

I wouldn't mind paying $10 per extra bottle. It would allow me to bring the bottles that I enjoy, and for the more expensive wine I wouldn't get the ridicules mark-ups.

I honestly am planning on trying to "smuggle" two extra bottles of wine on my next cruise. I find 2 bottles of wine is not nearly enough, I'll probably buy two more bottles of wine of the cruise also for a total of 6 while on the cruise.

I also will buy a few mixed drinks each day also.

Ideally I'd like to be able to bring 1 bottle of wine per cabin per day on to the ship.

If you bring your two bottles on (legit) in your carryon, just throw two more in your checked luggage. They don't always check, and often just figure people didn't know they were supposed to bring the bottles on in their check in. Worst that happens is they take then til the end of the cruise, so give it a whirl.

Come on folks....even if CCL decided to take this route, do you really think the drinks are going to be of any quality ? :rolleyes:

"You get what you pay for" ;) and if they choose to go this route, I imagine the only reason this would be considered is because it will raise the liquor profits. :eek:

Come on folks....even if CCL decided to take this route, do you really think the drinks are going to be of any quality ? :rolleyes:

"You get what you pay for" ;) and if they choose to go this route, I imagine the only reason this would be considered is because it will raise the liquor profits. :eek:

Thats probably true.....You'd end up paying 3 bucks for a small glass of Don Eduardito rum and Tang mix.....

Those that wish to break the rules will do so, no matter what. Free drinks wouldn't help, as those same rule breakers will still find something to complain about.

Absolutely not true. If you are on a limited budget and have saved all year (or more) for a cruise, those $9 drinks DO add up (even for a moderate drinker like myself). FREE drinks would DEFINITELY help. Talk about the FUN SHIPS...WOO HOO!!!

Wouldn't make any difference to me. If I want a drink, I buy it now. I would not object to Happy Hour or cheaper prices but it wouldn't make any difference in how much I drink either.

It's just not worth the hassle to go through to try to bring the booze on the ship with me. And then have to worry if it was even going to make it on board or not.

Are you complaining:confused::p

I have been reading that Princess has been offering a sort of Happy Hour or special on their various ships, mostly after 8 pm at night however even that seems to vary ship to ship

They seem to offer a couple drinks, Pina Colada, Long Island Ice Tea, etc plus house "well" drinks for ONLY $2.99

now..that would really be sweet...apparently it is ONLY for this summer, but I was thinking....maybe Carnival will/could do something like this??

At $2.99 I would be very happy, no need to smuggle!

Probably not. Some people smuggle to have booze available so they can make drinks in their room to enjoy on their balcony or to be able to make larger drinks to take to the pool.

Now if Carnival didn't charge such outrageous prices for their bottles, that might allow people to address alcohol needs.

I would probably have more drinks at $2.99. It seems right now Carnival is about the only line that doesn't have some sort of drink promotion going on. They should have kept the drink card. I would imagine that for the little saving we got, Carnival made more on people who didn't even end up drinking all the DOD's the card held.

They don't have it anymore? They had it last October on the Dream.

I would never smuggle. I don't drink enough and it's just too much work and I'm not a rule breaker by nature.

My TA usually sends a nice bottle of wine and I bring one on board so I'm good with that and the occasional DOD.

I stopped bringing soda pop on board because I never drank it.

Now if Carnival didn't charge such outrageous prices for their bottles, that might allow people to address alcohol needs.

The Elder God points out that the prices CCL charges for Bon Voyage bottles are a bargain compared to what you would pay for bottle service at a club.

The IDEA of a $2.99 drink is NOT crazy, since they have it on Princess for months now, from 8 pm till "close"....seems like they may be cutting it back

My friends just got back from NCL and drinks are running $11 there, really higher than ever...and they don't even let you bring on a bottle of wine

I live in Ft Lauderdale where we have many many MANY Happy Hours and Promos at very nice clubs and bars and restaurants

I wish Carnival would try the $2.99 drink deal..or heck even $3.99..

OR ...2 for 1 drinks at certain hour, that would be good...or 1/2 price drinks at a certain time etc

Or house well, wine, draft beer for a set price

Carnival OWNS Princess and HAL : and both let you cart on as much wine as you want it seems...they charge a corkage fee in dining room, but you can drink in room, on balcony

I personally think Carnival should be more creative....lighten up the prices and they would stop a lot of smuggling...let people bring more wine but get corkage....maybe even make the Bon Voyage prices MORE reasonable..

like $30 for a bottle of rum instead of $45...or just charge double the price in the stores or add a $15 fee to the store price

I think Carnival could be creative and really get good publicity, make people happy, loyal

The IDEA of a $2.99 drink is NOT crazy, since they have it on Princess for months now, from 8 pm till "close"....seems like they may be cutting it back

My friends just got back from NCL and drinks are running $11 there, really higher than ever...and they don't even let you bring on a bottle of wine

I live in Ft Lauderdale where we have many many MANY Happy Hours and Promos at very nice clubs and bars and restaurants

I wish Carnival would try the $2.99 drink deal..or heck even $3.99..

OR ...2 for 1 drinks at certain hour, that would be good...or 1/2 price drinks at a certain time etc

Or house well, wine, draft beer for a set price

Carnival OWNS Princess and HAL : and both let you cart on as much wine as you want it seems...they charge a corkage fee in dining room, but you can drink in room, on balcony

I personally think Carnival should be more creative....lighten up the prices and they would stop a lot of smuggling...let people bring more wine but get corkage....maybe even make the Bon Voyage prices MORE reasonable..

like $30 for a bottle of rum instead of $45...or just charge double the price in the stores or add a $15 fee to the store price

I think Carnival could be creative and really get good publicity, make people happy, loyal

They do have drink specials.........it is listed in the fun times;)

I thought I mentioned that:cool:

I know I would certainly buy more drinks from Carnival at 2.99!! My bar bill would be higher than it is now, cuz I have a really hard time paying for their overpriced drinks. I'd buy lots more at such a lower price!

Someone mentioned Carnival's "specials" - their "special" is one drink per day, and I believe it's still 5.99. :eek: I am allergic to ingredients in most, if not all, of their specials - they're always fruity with citrus.

I know I would certainly buy more drinks from Carnival at 2.99!! My bar bill would be higher than it is now, cuz I have a really hard time paying for their overpriced drinks. I'd buy lots more at such a lower price!

Someone mentioned Carnival's "specials" - their "special" is one drink per day, and I believe it's still 5.99. :eek: I am allergic to ingredients in most, if not all, of their specials - they're always fruity with citrus.

No you are talking about the drink of the day...not the specials........they have specials in the morning for bloody mary's and mimosas for example.........

No you are talking about the drink of the day...not the specials........they have specials in the morning for bloody mary's and mimosas for example.........

thx for the correction! :) do u know price of DOD vs special? Guess it doesn't matter to me, since I'm allergic to tomato in bloody mary, and oj in mimosa! LOL

thx for the correction! :) do u know price of DOD vs special? Guess it doesn't matter to me, since I'm allergic to tomato in bloody mary, and oj in mimosa! LOL

I'm not sure what the prices were.......I just looked at my fun times for the Glory and it had a few morning drink specials for bloodys, screwdrivers, and mimosas....

And they also had dollar off drinks at the comedy club.......

So they do run specials......

The Elder God points out that the prices CCL charges for Bon Voyage bottles are a bargain compared to what you would pay for bottle service at a club.

Yes but,how many people who cruise Carnival would do bottle service at a club?

I've never done it.

Just because the price of a bottle isn't 5 times retail doesn't make 2 times retail reasonable.

smugglers do it because they can and also for the thrill of doing it.. Just because someone likes to drink does not make them have an issue with alcohol!!! Where did you come up with that???? I'm I in denial NOPE!!!! I know the difference and maybe some don't!! We use to smuggle but now we are using the BV much easier and we don't have to carry the heavy luggage!!! :D

Yes, that's exactly the reason I've smuggled in the past.....the high I get from the thrill of successfully sneaking alcohol onboard is orgasmic. A few years back, I had smuggled 2 .750 liters of vodka and 2 bottles of rum on. We actually took the time to calculate the money saved and it was well over $400. Nowadays, I don't drink like I used to, so smuggling is generally a moot point.

Archived