Passports

Harbie

I just read on Carnival's sight "how to avoid being taken or robbed while in port" and one of the things it said was to NOT carry your actual passport in port with you, to take a photocopy with you!??!? I was under the understanding that when traveling to any country you must carry your passport with you at all times not a copy........Any thoughts on this? Think I need to clarify with Carnival Direct on this one.

It's really not a great idea to carry your passport in the ports of call as there's a thriving market place for US passports on the black market. A copy will be fine even in the event you get left behind for whatever reason.

The authorities in the ports understand that your Sail & Sign card means that you've satisfied the requirements of US Customs so they're fine with it.

:)

You probably opened up another can of worms as this subject has been argued back and forth for quite awhile. You'll get the whole "what if you miss the ship, etc" replies but that is such a rare circumstance, I don't follow that reasoning personally.

No, I do not take my PP onshore and leave in the safe.

I take my passport with me whenever I leave the ship (unless -- in a few circumstances -- the ship has taken the passport from me when boarding). I keep it in a safe place (on my person). I admit I'll be in the minority on this..but that is why I have a passport in the first place! -- for identification as a US citizen in a foreign country!

I've travelled extensively in the Philippines, always had my passport with me...never had an issue.

We always carry our passports with us because that is the purpose of the passport - to prove who you are. I still don't understand why the passport is more likely to be stolen than credit cards, cash, driver's license, cameras, etc.

I don't believe this is true for European ports.

We did a European cruise in the Med a few years ago and did not carry our passports in any of the ports. The port procedures were just about the same as in the Caribbean.

The DW is an flight attendant with a major airline and when we go to Europe we rarely carry our passports on us if there is a way to secure them in an hotel safe.

Like MACH stated you are just a larger target carrying a passport.

We did a European cruise in the Med a few years ago and did not carry our passports in any of the ports. The port procedures were just about the same as in the Caribbean.

The DW is an flight attendant with a major airline and when we go to Europe we rarely carry our passports on us if there is a way to secure them in an hotel safe.

Like MACH stated you are just a larger target carrying a passport.

Sorry but have to disagree with this statement totally. You are no more a larger tagrget with or without carrying a passport.... how would a would be thief know you had the passport to begin with ? :confused:

Bottom line... if you feel more comfortable bringing the passport when off ship regardless of what the port of call or country... bring it, as it is a PERSONAL CHOICE and there is no right or wrong answer to this !:rolleyes:

Sorry but have to disagree with this statement totally. You are no more a larger tagrget with or without carrying a passport.... how would a would be thief know you had the passport to begin with ? :confused:

Bottom line... if you feel more comfortable bringing the passport when off ship regardless of what the port of call or country... bring it, as it is a PERSONAL CHOICE and there is no right or wrong answer to this !:rolleyes:

Had a passport stolen once because I used it as ID (instead of my drivers license) when checking into a hotel because it was handy.

I have seen so many cruise passengers getting off the ship in ports hand carrying passports expecting to show id to some authority. This is exactly how a thief would target someone.

I agree that if one feels more comfortable carrying it by all means do so. On every cruise we have been on the question comes up in port talks if a passport is required on shore and 99.98% of the time the answer is no and to leave it in the safe.

Most passengers do not realize that if you do not re board the ship there is a procedure that is followed by the crew. One of the first things they do is ships security will go to the cabins safe and remove passports, credit card, and other id. These are given to the ships agent for that particular port. Even though some passengers will say they never leave the ship without a passport most would have no idea they should know who the ships agent is which is listed in the capers. They are the people that are going to help the passenger with whatever the situation is after the ship has set sail.

Again carry your passport if that makes you comfortable.

We always carry our passports with us because that is the purpose of the passport - to prove who you are. I still don't understand why the passport is more likely to be stolen than credit cards, cash, driver's license, cameras, etc.

What part of black market do you not understand?

I just read on Carnival's sight "how to avoid being taken or robbed while in port" and one of the things it said was to NOT carry your actual passport in port with you, to take a photocopy with you!??!? I was under the understanding that when traveling to any country you must carry your passport with you at all times not a copy........Any thoughts on this? Think I need to clarify with Carnival Direct on this one.

This is not meant to start the discussion of should you take it with you or is it OK to leave it on the ship.

There are very few countries that require cruisers to have passports in their possession (or for that matter any tourists - if you are staying on land you would leave it in your hotel). The luxury lines routinely collect and keep all passports for all passengers from the time you board until you disembark. This is true in the Caribbean and the Med. We were recently in Turkey, for three different stops and had absolutely no trouble without our passports in our possession.

The bottom line is that unless you are told other wise for a specific country there is no requirement that you carry your passport ashore with you,

Hum....I am always amazed at the answers to this question.......it's sort of scary how American's think they can travel outside the US and be safe and don't need their pass port!!! Or that people think they are a cruise passenger so they don't fall under the rules of the countries they visit. :eek:

It isn't just a matter of missing the ship. There are lots of reasons you need to have your ID with you, a driver license itsn't international ID, a passport it. When you understand that being an American or cruise passenger does not grant you any more rights than any other person from other countries you understand that when you are in a different country, via ship, train, car, on foot.....you should have proof of your citizenship and proper ID, a passport. This is what a passport is meant to be, and a ship board card DOES not count.

I NEVER enter a different country without my passport and I have traveled all over the world.

Besides.....having your passport on you does not increase or decrease you chance of being robbed.....how would someone who means to take your wallet, purse or beach tote know what is in there??? They take what they want and take a chance that something "good" like money or credit cards is in there.

Take your passport no matter what anyone says with you. If you are left behind or whatever a copy is NOT a passport and will get you no where. With all of the passport fraud NO country excepts a copy for Pete's sake. If your passport is stolen or lost while in port you should have a copy in your cabin safe so you can properly report the theft to the authorities, NO problem then, they do what they need to do for you and put a trace on the passport so it can't be used.

Dont' listen to cruise ships or passengers who are willing to take chances. People from other countries don't think twice about taking their passports with them everywhere and would never leave it behind.

Be wise!!! Happy sailing!

PS - people miss the ship, this happens. People are put off the ship (a passenger was put off our ship because of the bad behavior of one of his son's friends whom he brought on board...he didn't expect this of course, people get in touble in ports some ppl on another cruise we were on were visited by the policia in Mexico for wild behavior of a group of people they weren't even with at Senior Froggies.......

I take my passport with me whenever I leave the ship (unless -- in a few circumstances -- the ship has taken the passport from me when boarding). I keep it in a safe place (on my person). I admit I'll be in the minority on this..but that is why I have a passport in the first place! -- for identification as a US citizen in a foreign country!

I've travelled extensively in the Philippines, always had my passport with me...never had an issue.

We always take our passports. We leave the copy in the safe in the cabin. Everyone has their opinion. My cousin works for the US Embassy and says to take it, so we do. Emergencies don't usually happen, but if they do, she says the passport would be the thing to have with you. I don't worry about the boat sailing without me...it's other stuff. Course, we buy travel insurance, too. :cool:

I am sure you can find lots of people who say don't take it. Just decide what makes you feel most comfortable and then go and enjoy your trip. :)

It's really not a great idea to carry your passport in the ports of call as there's a thriving market place for US passports on the black market. A copy will be fine even in the event you get left behind for whatever reason.

The authorities in the ports understand that your Sail & Sign card means that you've satisfied the requirements of US Customs so they're fine with it.

:)

I think this sentence is a little deceptive. It won't be "fine" for flying back to the US, but having your copy will make getting a new passport much easier than if you didn't have the copy. You will still need to get a replacement passport, and it may not necessarily happen in a matter of hours. It could take or day or two depending on other factors.

What part of black market do you not understand?

Do you honestly believe that your license or credit cards aren't as valuable?

Really, folks, the hysterics you all go into over this issue is quite laughable. Not only can your identity be stolen just as easily at home, you could potentially be left in a foreign country and have throw yourself on the mercy of the US Consolate or Embassy to assist you, and pay the price for it as well.

Perhaps if people just kept track of their stuff they wouldn't be at risk of losing it. If someone is going to rob you, they're doing it because you're an easy mark and not because you have a passport.

You can believe the hosts and the Hysterical Helens on this board or you can believe the former US Embassador to West Germany who recommends that no American leave their home soil without a passport on their person, not locked in a safe, not with a copy on them, not with it locked in the safe deposit box at home.

Hum....I am always amazed at the answers to this question.......it's sort of scary how American's think they can travel outside the US and be safe and don't need their pass port!!! Or that people think they are a cruise passenger so they don't fall under the rules of the countries they visit. :eek:

Or how they think every resident of every country that isn't the US is looking to steal their identity.

Had a passport stolen once because I used it as ID (instead of my drivers license) when checking into a hotel because it was handy.

I have seen so many cruise passengers getting off the ship in ports hand carrying passports expecting to show id to some authority. This is exactly how a thief would target someone.

I agree that if one feels more comfortable carrying it by all means do so. On every cruise we have been on the question comes up in port talks if a passport is required on shore and 99.98% of the time the answer is no and to leave it in the safe.

Most passengers do not realize that if you do not re board the ship there is a procedure that is followed by the crew. One of the first things they do is ships security will go to the cabins safe and remove passports, credit card, and other id. These are given to the ships agent for that particular port. Even though some passengers will say they never leave the ship without a passport most would have no idea they should know who the ships agent is which is listed in the capers. They are the people that are going to help the passenger with whatever the situation is after the ship has set sail.

Again carry your passport if that makes you comfortable.

I see this too and just think to myself.......wow what a target:(

If you are deathly afraid of missing the ship......take it with you but don't be flashing it around like id........

Someone mentioned that a theif could just as well steal your handbag or beach bag.......I surely hope people don't put their valuables in a bag.........I don't carry anything but a beach bag with towels and sunscreen.......my dh carries our dl, cc,cash and ship card in his board short pocket which is tightly secured.....all are just the right size and are water proof so nothing is destroyed or stolen......

Do you honestly believe that your license or credit cards aren't as valuable?

Really, folks, the hysterics you all go into over this issue is quite laughable. Not only can your identity be stolen just as easily at home, you could potentially be left in a foreign country and have throw yourself on the mercy of the US Consolate or Embassy to assist you, and pay the price for it as well.

Perhaps if people just kept track of their stuff they wouldn't be at risk of losing it. If someone is going to rob you, they're doing it because you're an easy mark and not because you have a passport.

You can believe the hosts and the Hysterical Helens on this board or you can believe the former US Embassador to West Germany who recommends that no American leave their home soil without a passport on their person, not locked in a safe, not with a copy on them, not with it locked in the safe deposit box at home.

Who's hysterical:confused::p

I think this sentence is a little deceptive. It won't be "fine" for flying back to the US, but having your copy will make getting a new passport much easier than if you didn't have the copy. You will still need to get a replacement passport, and it may not necessarily happen in a matter of hours. It could take or day or two depending on other factors.

In re-reading my post, I realize my wording was horrible. I know you would not ever be "deceptive." What I meant to say was your post could be taken wrong or it could be viewed as unintentionally misleading.:)

Archived