Island Marketing Ltd. for excursions in Grand Cayman, Good or bad?

sbfanatic

We did the three-hour (looks like it's four hours now) "Outrage Eco Tour" with Captain John Michael two years ago when we were in Grand Cayman. He offered a great tour - picked us up at a meeting spot a short walk from the cruise pier, drove us out to the dock where his Boston Whaler was tied up, and took us to Stingray City, a reef to snorkel, and Starfish Beach. We were back in time to have lunch on the ship.

Island Marketing is a booking agent for independent tour operators; it does not operate the tours themselves. As John Michael explained, if he had to do his own booking, he'd never be taking people out on tours! We also used Island Marketing to book an excursion in St. Maarten and that worked well too. Both times, booking online was easy.

If the tours have their own website and you can book directly with them, read the fine print and cancellation policies of both.

Island Marketing had a non-refundable deposit for an excursion that I'm doing and a 2 week cancellation policy. If you are a no show for whatever reason then 100% of the excursion would be charged.

Dealing with the place directly, only a credit card guarantee and a 24 hour cancellation policy. If you are a no show for whatever reason then only 25% (same as deposit) would be charged.

Island Marketing is the booking/marketing agent for tours given by other companies, many of whom you can book with directly (although it's often a bigger hassle to do that). In that sense, Island Marketing functions like your cruise line does when you book a cruise through them. The deposit you pay Island Marketing is their commission. The tour company itself gets whatever you pay them when you arrive.

The quality of Island Marketing tours is going to vary depending on the quality of the company that actually offers the tour. Some are better than others, so it helps to read reviews here or similar review sites about a specific tour and make up your mind. I do think that Island Marketing provides some degree of quality control. At the very least, you won't get ripped off by someone who isn't there when you show up.

• 5 years later...

Because I've not posted before I'm not sure what I'm doing. I have a question about Island Marketing Ltd. I have attempted to contact them 4 times. They have not answered the "Live Chat" and have not answered my emails. Are they still in business? Any help would be appreciated.

Because I've not posted before I'm not sure what I'm doing. I have a question about Island Marketing Ltd. I have attempted to contact them 4 times. They have not answered the "Live Chat" and have not answered my emails. Are they still in business? Any help would be appreciated.

I actually did the live chat with them today about some of the excursions they offer in Cayman.