Boring Beaches

pcmodhouse

Its just like people saying, I have food at home all the time and good restaurants in my city, why go on a cruise because the food is good?

Well its better! The whole cruise and vacation is better. Yes alone, you might be ok with the beach near your home. There is no beach anywhere in the US that is beautiful as some of these ports.

i live in california as well, i could get to the beach in 20 minutes right now if i wanted, i still LOVE going to the beaches on vacation and in a port. the beaches over there are different than ours the water is clearer, the sand is whiter, its a different culture, group of people. I love being in the water too though, regardless of how often I can go at home, I dont think ill ever take for granted how convenient it is like most do.

Me too! I grew up on the beach in So. Cal........can't get enough of it:)

Its just like people saying, I have food at home all the time and good restaurants in my city, why go on a cruise because the food is good?

Well its better! The whole cruise and vacation is better. Yes alone, you might be ok with the beach near your home. There is no beach anywhere in the US that is beautiful as some of these ports.

I've been to several beaches in Hawaii that are far more beautiful than most of the ports. Some of the beaches here in California, mainly in Big Sur, are stunning.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vanessa.1963/PanamaCityBeachFlorida#5300250598167154130

Panama City Beach, FL

http://picasaweb.google.com/vanessa.1963/CarnivalFantasyWithNewOrleansPartDeux#5388813588887755090

Cozumel, Mexico

I beg to differ ;)

I *love* the beach, but I simply cannot stand the private islands that cruise ships stick on their itineraries.

There's a huge difference between strolling Panama City Beach, or even Jacksonville Beach, at sunrise, and being packed in like sardines on an overcrowded/undersized private island. No thanks. I'll stay on the ship.

I usually find that 50% of the cruisers who get to a beach usually crowd near the first entrance to it. I prefer less crowded areas, so I'll walk down the sand apiece, looking for my own private paradise. The further I walk, the less crowded it seems to get......Ah, I can picture the blue water now!

I *love* the beach, but I simply cannot stand the private islands that cruise ships stick on their itineraries.

There's a huge difference between strolling Panama City Beach, or even Jacksonville Beach, at sunrise, and being packed in like sardines on an overcrowded/undersized private island. No thanks. I'll stay on the ship.

I beg to differ completely with this statement. The beach at HMC is quite large. We were the only ship there at the time and this place is ABSOLUTELY beautiful. I trully believe this was the most beautiful beach I had ever been on. We did the parasailing soon after we got on the island but then spent the rest of the day on the beach. Plenty of room on the beach and in the water. The funny part about the day was when it started raining and so many people got out of the water. No thunder or lightning but I guess they were afraid they were going to get wet. :D

I am not a beach person. I like getting in the water sometimes, but I just do not think going and sitting on a beach is a goal in itself. My mother lives on a barrier island in Florida. We can go beaching any time we want on one of the best beaches on the East Coast. When we go down there, I will walk the beach for exercise. I will splash a bit in the ocean. I do not sit on the beach and baste in various oils and exotic potions.

All that being said, Half Moon Cay is one of my favorite ports, certainly my favorite in the Bahamas and Caribbean. This little oasis is so beautiful and soothing that I love it. It doesn't hur one bit either that the ship's hotel department comes ashore and cooks wonderful hamburgers and hot dogs in the picnic area.

Try it, you'll like it. I guarantee it.

Doc

Waaay different than your "packed like sardines" description: Half Moon Cay beach in April of this year....

[ATTACH]162891[/ATTACH]

Are the two yellow things farthest away in the pic water trampolines? If so do you have to rent those or are they free for anyone to use?

Like I said we live on the coast in San Diego so it is hard for me to understand what is not to love about the beach but as the previous poster said let your kids enjoy!

One of my 7 year old twin boys at surf camp today..

1848231887_DSCF14771.jpg.fe4d180752a4b281ab2d74c4b040522a.jpg

I've been to several beaches in Hawaii that are far more beautiful than most of the ports. Some of the beaches here in California, mainly in Big Sur, are stunning.

agreed love Northern Ca. so beautiful..and the beaches in Tahiti I thought were amazing..Hawaii I do not remember I had a broken ankle and it was a very long trip!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not miss an opportunity to experience HMC. I am not much of a beach person myself, but this is the most beautiful beach that I've ever experienced. The water is like being in a beautiful clear pool...the sand is like walking on velvet...like nothing you've ever experienced. You can go there and do absolutely nothing or you can go there and enjoy the buffet on the island or you can go and swim...whatever you want...but whatever you do, please don't miss HMC!!!! :) :)

AND BTW...no one cares who is a fatty or not...we all deserve to be where ever we want to be...food, no food...sand, no sand...water, no water...just go and enjoy!!

I beg to differ completely with this statement. The beach at HMC is quite large. We were the only ship there at the time and this place is ABSOLUTELY beautiful. I trully believe this was the most beautiful beach I had ever been on. We did the parasailing soon after we got on the island but then spent the rest of the day on the beach. Plenty of room on the beach and in the water. The funny part about the day was when it started raining and so many people got out of the water. No thunder or lightning but I guess they were afraid they were going to get wet. :D

I think I figured out what Jacksonville, Hollywood, FL and Miami have that HMC doesn't...a ton of damn condos lining them!!! As beautiful as the BEACH is, you only get a nice view looking out at the water...I'm looking forward to really fealing like I'm completely "away from it all".

I am not a beach person either. My adult ADD and the fact that I'm a redhead who burns keeps me from enjoying relaxing in the sun for more than 30 min. I just can't stand it.

We also homeschool our boys so we take each moment as a learning op.

To keep us all happy what we do is we take our metal detector, a couple buckets and a marine life or seashell reference guide and we go exploring. When we find an unusual looking seashell we find out what it is or when we see some strange sea creature that has washed up we look it up and note it in our journals (homeschooling journals). We also enjoy getting up really early (at least one day) and walking the shoreline. We like to rescue the living sea life that is stranded on the beach. We find out what it is and throw it back.

This actually can keep us interested for at least a week. The kids also like to build sand castles (of course) and I will help them with this. We've made some pretty elaborate castles. When we're done we destroy them (did I mention I have boys) and start over.

I hope this helps a little. Have a great cruise!

:) Kerry

Some people are beach people...some are not...

We have beaches at our disposal here, too, and we never go to them.

We will occasionally get off the boat at the private islands and find a couple of lounge chairs under some trees in the shade to read books and listen to my iPod....Frankly, for us it's just another way to chillax on a boat....

Don't force yourself to do something you won't enjoy....

Are the two yellow things farthest away in the pic water trampolines? If so do you have to rent those or are they free for anyone to use?

Yes they are water trampolines and YES they are free on Half moon Cay..

Sorry for the delayed response...I haven't looked at this thread for a while...:o....anyway...the yellow trampolines (& other items....shark, crab, turtle etc.) are there for everyone's use and there is no charge.

104097205_Miracle4-21-2010045half.jpg.30d1348db49c93ab1447c0e061e6094b.jpg

LOL>> I still don't understand the CC "mentality" of "convince me"

why should a bunch of stranger convince anyone to go to a beach (eat at steakhouse, book a balcony, whatever whatever?)

Just kind of funny

However, speaking from personal experience of living in South Florida for many years I do agree with the other resort area dwellers who are not totally thrilled with "just a beach"...

I really enjoyed a $15 tour my group took in Cozumel...we saw the way the people lived, went to the older part of the city, visited el Cedral the little Mayan Village (very old church and even much older Mayan ruin)...we went to a "wild side beach bar" Reggae Beach, very cool....and then dropped off at Paradise Beach

we enjoyed the beach and food /drinks there for a few hours

but it was the sightseeing that really sticks out in my mind

In places like Grand Cayman I did enjoy the stingrays...something different....BUT honestly GC looks and feels just like South Florida

If you live in a resort area I would "advise" to find something different from where you live....

Example : I never do "Butterfly" attractions cause we have the "original" and maybe the best right here. The tickets are 1/2 price off (deal I found) this summer....I went with friends in May and it was great (Butterfly World Coconut Creek Fl)

on the private beach days you can also book an excursion of sorts, I think they have stingrays at Half Moon Cay now too?? There is bound to be something "different". You just have to look IMHO

But...not sure I want to "convince" anyone how to spend their leisure time LOL...that "convice" stuff still really makes me wonder??

Archived