Bermuda: Beach umbrellas on the bus?

signora

We are sailing 7/30 on the Spirit. Both of us take meds that require sun protection. I know no suitcases are allowed on the public bus: what about beach umbrellas? We are hoping to bring ours from home. Does anyone have any info about this?

I don't know if it's "allowed" but I wouldn't recommend it. The buses are incredibly crowded, and I had a hard enough time fitting my beach bag on with me.

The locals are also getting fed up with how many tourists are on the bus. I just don't think bringing an umbrella would be a smart idea in any case.

It's not prohibited, but buses are very very crowded and you will often have to stand. The above posters are right-- I would look for an alternate way.

I've been to Bermuda twice and used public trasnportation exclusively both times at all times of day. My recommendation is a backpack, not a shoulder bag, and only take what you can get into the bag.

Maybe a regular umbrella you'll just have to hold on the beach?

I wouldn't, its bulky inconvenient and the buses are crowded. If you want to take a private taxi, perhaps but you'll be sorry you brought that along. Rentals are available or even a small umbrella that attaches to a chair would be more suitable.

Hi,

I too can't take the strong sun......I am planning to bring a regular umbrella (large size/folds up small) in my beach bag. If the beach umbrella's are for rent at horseshoe bay, I will rent one for the time that I am on the beach.

For our July cruise on the Dawn I bought one of those umbrellas that screw on to the arm of a chair at Job Lot for under $5. It worked well and it was small enough to carry safely on the bus. About the size of a regular umbrella. You can never be sure that umbrellas will be available at Horseshoe Bay because of the wind, and it worked really well for me.

Granted it was years ago, but we traveled by plane to Bermuda with my beach umbrella in a cardboard tube and it came with its own case and a shoulder handle that I slung over my shoulder as I rode a motor scooter to the beach. No problem. The smaller umbrellas do come in their own silky case that you can slide oover your shoulder. check it out.

There is a beach at Snorkel Park------a short walk from the ship. They rent umbrellas there or you can carry your own. No need for the bus.

Enjoy your trip.

True, but Snorkel Park is not one of the beautiful natural beaches Bermuda is known for and the south shore beaches are only a short bus ride away. There is no comparison and the bus ride is well worth it.;):)

Compromised and bought a little collapsible shelter that fits in a small bag, way smaller and easier to carry, over the shoulder, than my bulky beach umbrella. We'll get on a bus and head straight for the south shore beaches. Thank you everyone for your advice!

Archived