SeaDreaming

Got my latest BLu magazine yesterday. Makes me Seadreaming...

I had to have my deposit from a book on board returned.. we just couldnt find an itinerary that worked for us.. but I am still SeaDreaming for sure... I do wish that there was more variety in their Carribean itineraries.

We've got Seabourn coming up starting Satuday; Barcelona to Monte Carlo.. hope we'll love it as much as Seadream...

CDW

Looking forward to your comments and comparison between the two lines. I understand how you feel about the itineraries. Right now, my husband and I are looking at the SDII in Barbados next spring or the transatlantic because we just aren't that impressed with what we saw of the Caribbean. However, we had a wonderful cruise on the SDI and are dying to get back onboard.

Hopefully, you'll be booking a new SD cruise before too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the Legend... 7 nights starting in Barcelona and ending in Monte Carlo. Just some thoughts (vis a vis Seadream).

- The Legend felt crowded. On Seadream it seems that every space is basically designed to hold the entire ship's complement. Not so on the Legend. From the Sun deck to the Verandah cafe to the top of the ship bar it felt crowded. Lunchtime can be quite the crunch at the buffett line. There really didn't seem to be too much private space; space to get away from the crowds. I missed the balinese beds. I didn't really appreciate how spacious Seadream felt until I traveled on the Legend.

- The pool. Who designed that thing? It's stuck right in the middle of nothing. Awkward... they totally put it in the wrong place.3 hottubs- nice; especially the one at the front of the ship.

Cabin- I give the nod to Seabourn; we had a balconette suite; which was nice to open and enjoy the fresh breezes. The bathroom was bigger, and the walk-in closet was great.

- Food. Seabourn wins. It just seemed to be just a notch higher than Seadream. We dined in restaurant 2 on two nights (both tasting) which was great. The main dining room was great as well. I will note, that the caviar was not as good on Seabourn. I think that they used American raised caviar. Lots of foie gras and North atlantic lobster. One meal I remember having on Seadream was the fish and chips- just as good on Seabourn. 24 Hour room service was great (we had breakfast delivered a couple of times).

- The marina- Seadream wins that. The cage wasn't terribly comfortable to swim in; no jet skis, and long lines on marina day. Big negative.

- Service- I think that ultimately Seadream wins this one; but barely. It just felt more genuine; however it was close.

So I think that the nod would go to Seadream, but just barely. I think that when I look to cruise again I will look first at Seadream, then Seabourn. They are both hands down better than Regent.

I do, have to mention one big negative about the Legend. WIth much trepidation. There seemed to be a number of young kids. We have a young kid; who we left at home. The most annoying place that this reared its head was in the hot tub- they seemed to treat it as there swimming pool and the parental supervision was a bit lacking. That's a whole different topic though.

CDW

Thanks for the review and comparison CruisingDrWu!

Sounds like the things that you liked on SB (the cabin and the room service) are the same things we enjoyed on SB .... BUT and it is a big BUT ... there is just something special about SD and the way we feel that the yacht is truly ours.

Can't believe small children in the hot tubs unsupervised:eek:

Thanks again for the report! Aren't we lucky to have so many choices?

We sailed Seabourn Legend followed by SeaDream II this June. First time we've sailed on either line. I agree with most of this review with the exception that I thought the food on SeaDream was spectacular, the food on Seabourn OK. I am working on a review comparing the 2 lines.

We sailed Seabourn Legend followed by SeaDream II this June. First time we've sailed on either line. I agree with most of this review with the exception that I thought the food on SeaDream was spectacular, the food on Seabourn OK. I am working on a review comparing the 2 lines.

I guess I would say that the food was great on both, but Seabourn one in my mind.. REstaurant 2 was great I must say.... and Seabourn definitely kept the foie gras rolling! I asked the chef and he told me that in a week they go through:

- 400 whole lobsters

- 200 kg of Foie gras.

- 8000 euro worth of caviar.....

I dont recall seeing too much foie on the Seadream menu; but apparently our Seadream cruise was a little special because we never had a tasting menu.... Plus my foie gras addiction/fascination is a recent development...

CDW

I think Dr Wu was unlucky with Seabourn in that out of high summer the ships are not usually overfull, nor are there many if any children on board. Also, Legend is the only one not to have had its refurb. yet.

We have done SD and SB, at least 3 times on each, and as rather older passengers (over 70) we prefer SB as we don't swim - SD pool much better than any SB ones, and don't stay up late at night at the TOY bar, though we loved it during the day. Our main gripe with SD was being expected to eat outside even if it was raining or windy. Unless they have changed recently; there is really only service and space for all to eat either outside or in the restaurant. And the included wines and drinks on SB are superior.

If you didn't mind being on a larger ship with more passengers, the new Sojourn is wonderful - more outside eating space with lovely simple but well prepared food, and mor restaurant facilities generally.

Having said all that, I am sure that SD is perfect for young, fairly active passengers, if the weather is lovely.

Hope it is ok to hijack this thread - all of you seem to have the experience I'm looking for in a question I posted this morning:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25470985#post25470985

Any tidbits you can share to help me decide what size boat and which cruise line is most appropriate?

(and maybe with some experience on this board, I'll figure out how to post comments/quotes inline)

-thanx

Archived