Gem aug 7th: What to do right after embarking cruise?

oladunk

On previous cruises I have done (RCCL & NCL, the NCL ones were long ago) I have had a certain to-do list right after I board the ship (check cabin, change if necessary, check seating, change if necessary, book activities, excursion etc).

I see that a lot has changed due to for example the fact that NCL now has freestyle cruising.

Could you give me suggestions on which things I should try to fix right after embarking the cruise on NCL cruises? I would like to get a head start before I sink into a chair at sundeck and enjoy the week.

Cabins usually won't be ready until around 2pm. (It doesnt hurt to check right when you get on though. You may get lucky) Once you board, the crew will be directing you to the buffet for lunch and the pool deck for the party. If you'd rather relax, one of the MDR's are open for lunch. After lunch, no matter what ship I'm on, I usually grab a drink and then wander the ship to try to get a feel of it. Once the staterooms are ready, I go there with my carry on, freshen up, then head back out to the decks. The one benefit of freestyle dining, is that there is no need to look in the dining room for your table assignment.

Judging from some of the posts here, I would guess that some passengers start immediately to work start their "complaint journal", reocrding all their disappointments from the check-in / boarding process and meeting their first crew member.

Find the place to store your carry - ons, then, if the Main Dining room is open, go there for a nice leisurely lunch or snack...order some kind of festive umbrella drink....check out the Freestyle Daily newsletter and before you know it your cabin will be ready. Throw your complaint journal away on your way to your cabin.

There's nothing to fix--just go have lunch in the buffet or main dining room, have a celebratory drink, wander around getting to know the ship ... relaxing and anticipating the rest of your cruise. If you have decided you'd like to dine in one of the specialty restaurants that first night, then go to the reservations desk (usually in the atrium) and do that. Otherwise, nothing to do except unwind.

Enjoy!

I didn't think that changing cabins was a possibility...

We always hit the Main Dining Room for our first lunch on Embarkation day...it is not crowded and it is a great way to start off your cruise...by the end of lunch, usually our cabin is ready, I go and unpack quickly, then start wandering the ship, getting to know it...I also go to the specialty restaurants as they often have free samples...another thing I do is visit the spa, usually they are raffling off free services and I always try my luck...

We generally head to whatever main dinning room is open (Grand Pacific aft on deck 6 or Magenta, midships next to bar central on deck 6 on the Gem). That way you can sit down, relax, have a drink, read your daily, eat a nice 3 course meal, and wait for the cabin to be ready. Usually there is an announcement that rooms are ready around 2pm or so. We then drop off hand luggage and go to explore the ship or just wander the top decks if we have been on it before and the weather is nice. Round about this point we also book a soda card for our son and buy some wine on the 20% off promotion, and book Cagney's for the first night meal (unless we have concierge service). After muster drill we tend to enjoy sailaway on our balcony with something cold and bubbly.

That's the best way we have found to kick off another great NCL vacation.

Mongo like way Monte thinks (which is totally confusing to those who know me)

There's nothing to fix--just go have lunch in the buffet or main dining room, have a celebratory drink, wander around getting to know the ship ... relaxing and anticipating the rest of your cruise. If you have decided you'd like to dine in one of the specialty restaurants that first night, then go to the reservations desk (usually in the atrium) and do that. Otherwise, nothing to do except unwind.

Enjoy!

The first thing we do is go to our cabin...sometimes the doors are closed and a sign that says the cabins aren't ready but we head there anyway and ask if we can leave our carry-ons in the room and we haven't been turned away yet. Then we either head to the MDR for lunch or out to the pool if it is warm and sunny on sail away day. We have a couple of drinks, explore the ship and before you know it your cabin is ready. If our bags are there we unpack before muster drill. One thing we always do is take pictures of our cabin before all of our luggage arrives so it is nice and neat and uncluttered. I have almost a year to wait for my next cruise and I can't wait!!

We have never changed our cabins. Besides, the ship is often full and there are no cabins to change to.

No assigned seating, so nothing there.

We board, we get a drink. We get something to eat. We walk around and get another drink.

No checklist of problems, ever, ever. We are on vacation.

Thanks for all the replies.

What about actvities?

My fiance complained (to me) on last cruise (RCCL Enchantment of the Seas) that all activities (specifically in the gym) was fully booked long ahead. Seemed that people went there as they embarked and enlisted on all activities without bothering to show up later.

How does this work on the Gem?

BHA

Archived