Egg Crate??

Rhitson88

Ok guys sorry, this is dumb. I am young and am not familiar with this. Whats an egg crate and why do people need them for their beds? Do they make them more comfortable? My bed is always comfy. Just anyone filling me in would be great, thanks.

The beds on Princess tend to be much harder ( or more firm, if you prefer) than on most other cruise lines. An "egg crate" or foam mattress topper can be requested to soften the mattress a bit.

We find that we request one when on board Princess, but not on the other cruise lines. If you like a "hard" mattress - you

It's an optional mattress pad you can request be put on your bed on your cruise. Princess is notorious for having very firm/hard mattresses. For people who need a much softer mattress, this may help make the bed more comfortable. For others who like a firm mattress, no egg crate pad should be needed.

They look like this. Notice how it kind of looks like the carton eggs come in?

Egg-Crate-Mattress-Topper.jpg

I like the beds on Princess. I don't find them too hard for me. But a lot of people like softer beds. You can always ask the cabin steward for one as soon as you board, if you want a softer bed.

If you feel you would like one, it is advisable to request one ahead of time by fax. There are times when there are not anymore available once you arrive at the ship.

Is there a fax form? Where to you fax too? What info do you provide?

It's an optional mattress pad you can request be put on your bed on your cruise. Princess is notorious for having very firm/hard mattresses. For people who need a much softer mattress, this may help make the bed more comfortable. For others who like a firm mattress, no egg crate pad should be needed.

They look like this. Notice how it kind of looks like the carton eggs come in?

Egg-Crate-Mattress-Topper.jpg

Actually, I wish they still did look like that. But most ships now have switched to the very very thin foam dimpled mattress pad. Actual egg crates are a thing of the past on most princess ships now.

Actually, I wish they still did look like that. But most ships now have switched to the very very thin foam dimpled mattress pad. Actual egg crates are a thing of the past on most princess ships now.

Hmm... It's been two years since our last cruise. Maybe I'll have to bring my own mattress pad this time. Fortunately, we don't have to fly to the port for our upcoming cruise!

Hmm... It's been two years since our last cruise. Maybe I'll have to bring my own mattress pad this time. Fortunately, we don't have to fly to the port for our upcoming cruise!

Dani, I wish I would have taken a picture of the new mattress pads, but didn't even think of it. They are so thin, it is almost a wasted effort to request them as they make very little difference in the softness of the bed. It would take 4 or 5 of the new ones to equal one of the old style egg crates. Many room stewards are getting complaints and so are putting on the new thinner foam pad PLUS an extra duvet on the mattress, just to keep passengers happy (although to us, that did little good either). We now always take a memory foam topper, or purchase one in the first port of call if we have availability to a discount store, and just leave it behind on disembarkation morning. Sad, but true.

Dani, I wish I would have taken a picture of the new mattress pads, but didn't even think of it. They are so thin, it is almost a wasted effort to request them as they make very little difference in the softness of the bed. It would take 4 or 5 of the new ones to equal one of the old style egg crates. Many room stewards are getting complaints and so are putting on the new thinner foam pad PLUS an extra duvet on the mattress, just to keep passengers happy (although to us, that did little good either). We now always take a memory foam topper, or purchase one in the first port of call if we have availability to a discount store, and just leave it behind on disembarkation morning. Sad, but true.

What a disappointment!

I kind of wish they'd install Sleep Number beds instead. DH and I have one (he likes a very firm mattress, I like sleeping on a very soft one), and we love it. Having each twin bed have the option of adjusting to the user's preference would be a huge selling point for Princess! And you can still put them together to form a Queen size.

What a disappointment!

I kind of wish they'd install Sleep Number beds instead. DH and I have one (he likes a very firm mattress, I like sleeping on a very soft one), and we love it. Having each twin bed have the option of adjusting to the user's preference would be a huge selling point for Princess! And you can still put them together to form a Queen size.

We've had our Sleep Number bed for nearly four years now and we love it as well. :) I'm a 40 and DH is a 50.

It would be great if Princess would get them, or at least get the great matresses they have on board HAL. I have never understood with all that Princess has to offer, why their beds are so bad! We had them put 2 egg-crates (or whatever they are now) on our bed on the Diamond last month, and I still had a back-ache in the morning!

Guys how different are Princess's matresses from Carnival's? Because Carnival was actually really comfortable to me. You'd think Princess would be the same or better. So just so I can get an idea can I get a few opinions?

I've got news for everyone wanting to request an egg crate. NO MORE HAVING TO FAX OVER for the request. Simply call Princess and tell them you request one and they will put it in your special requests. What a brainstorm idea!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Just thought I'd throw in there that I faxed over my request to Princess two days ago. We leave for our cruise in 10 days.

Just checked the personalizer today and saw this under "Special Services":

Eggcrate Mattress 1 Per Queen/Twin

Quantity: 1

Purchased By:

Delivery Date: Jul 31

I have to agree with many of the posters. Although the beds ARE hard, the egg crates they put on our beds in December were really a joke. As in: my friend and i were laughing. They were so thin (perhaps 1/4 inch thick) and smooshed and old that for my upcoming Thanksgiving cruise I'm not bothering to ask for one.

Guys how different are Princess's matresses from Carnival's? Because Carnival was actually really comfortable to me. You'd think Princess would be the same or better. So just so I can get an idea can I get a few opinions?

Carnival and HAL mattresses are VERY comfortable, a world of difference from Princess's hard mattresses. EM

Toto, I like that buy one at the first port idea. I remember from several years ago how thin they were. Any shops in San Juan come to your mind? We're doing B2B and would forfit the first few hours to get my bed sorted out. I really do need a softer bed. Am considering the second piece of luggage, but that would mean $64 on US Airways. But what is a few bucks if you can't get out of bed the next morn.:eek::D

Just thought I'd throw in there that I faxed over my request to Princess two days ago. We leave for our cruise in 10 days.

Just checked the personalizer today and saw this under "Special Services":

Eggcrate Mattress 1 Per Queen/Twin

Quantity: 1

Purchased By:

Delivery Date: Jul 31

Can you give me the fax number? I just tried calling and they said that requests must be made 6 weeks prior to departure.

Can you give me the fax number? I just tried calling and they said that requests must be made 6 weeks prior to departure.

I sent the fax to 661-284-4885. I included my name, booking number, cabin number, and contact info.

They probably don't want a bunch of people submitting special requests a few days before the cruise leaves, and that's why they say 6 weeks. But, I was definitely less than 2 weeks out when I sent it, and it definitely shows in my cruise personalizer (not that it will for sure be in my cabin!)

Toto, I like that buy one at the first port idea. I remember from several years ago how thin they were. Any shops in San Juan come to your mind? We're doing B2B and would forfit the first few hours to get my bed sorted out. I really do need a softer bed. Am considering the second piece of luggage, but that would mean $64 on US Airways. But what is a few bucks if you can't get out of bed the next morn.:eek::D

Sorry, can't help you with stores in San Juan. Haven't been there in years.

We find when our first port is in the U.S. it is much easier to find one. It works especially well when sailing from Hawaii. :) Other ports, I take it with me in a space bag, takes up very little room that way.

Archived