Seabourn dress code

Martita B.

I had news from my Travel Agent alerting me that Seabourn is rethinking their formal evenings dress codes. They may reverse the new policy. She's waiting for the final "say" and will let me know their decision.

Anyone else receiving dress code alerts from their TA?

Martita B.

I had news from my Travel Agent alerting me that Seabourn is rethinking their formal evenings dress codes. They may reverse the new policy. She's waiting for the final "say" and will let me know their decision.

Martita B.

Martita, would that be true!!!!!!!! I've been shopping Spring and Summer for cocktail dresses to replace all my formal gowns for our Fall cruise. I'd love to see formal nights returned. (Always loved social invitations that indicate BLACK TIE INVITED - leaves the option without the obligation)

MM

As soon as my TA e-mails me I'll let you know ~~ keep your formal wear handy as I really think we'll again enjoy more blacktie "affairs." Seabourn has always been known for their gala evenings ~~I, among many, still dress up for dinner each evening.

Dress codes have been discussed on our board time and time again so I'm NOT starting a new thread ~just posting an alert as to Seabourn revising their code.

MB

Martita B.

I have been busy with Seabourn on this subject,let us hope that they see sense.

My sugestion has been for the smaller yachts to be formal but the larger ships to be more informal to suit the type of guest that is booking them.Good for all party's, including Seabourn

I guess I haven't been paying attention, what is the "new" dress code? We were on Seabourn last November/December and are going on another Seabourn cruise next month. On the cruise last year, they still had formal nights, has that changed? I really enjoy dressing up on those nights and hope they don't get rid of them.

My sugestion has been for the smaller yachts to be formal but the larger ships to be more informal to suit the type of guest that is booking them.Good for all party's, including Seabourn

I know that we have discussed this many times..so glad that you have taken the inititive to get things done. KUDOS! Lola

I just spoke with Seabourn this morning about the dress for my cruise in October from Rome to Venice. I was informed, much to my dismay, that there will be no formal nights on that cruise.

I agree with Lord of the Seas as the formal nights are one of our favorite things. We live in a "formal" city with a casual side so we enjoy both. Since we are on the Christmas Legend and it is a tropical cruise I thought they would probably make it casual BUT since it is Christmas and New Years and a very special BIG birthday for me (not that they care)...they might keep it somewhat formal. Either way we will probably bring formal wear for the occasions. We really dress for ourselves not for the ship!! That doesn't sound nice but I meant it kindly.

I just spoke with Seabourn this morning about the dress for my cruise in October from Rome to Venice. I was informed, much to my dismay, that there will be no formal nights on that cruise.

Ah and didn't you just make my mind up for me! We're just about to do the 12 day cruise from Kobe to Shanghai (if there's anyone reading the board who doesn't already know that!) and I was debating whether it was worth taking the black tie for just one formal night when I'd have at least a couple of suits which would (pardon the pun) suit.

Now I realized that far from a chore, we're actually lucky that we get to have a formal night at all and we had better enjoy it! Added a few pounds to the luggage.

Ah and didn't you just make my mind up for me! We're just about to do the 12 day cruise from Kobe to Shanghai (if there's anyone reading the board who doesn't already know that!) and I was debating whether it was worth taking the black tie for just one formal night when I'd have at least a couple of suits which would (pardon the pun) suit.

Now I realized that far from a chore, we're actually lucky that we get to have a formal night at all and we had better enjoy it! Added a few pounds to the luggage.

My husband always brings his tux and when appropriate, his white jacket. It makes it simple for him to be a penquin and not have to think, ha! We will probably continue because we enjoy special evenings like that. People have been dressing down a little on the Sisters for the last three years, but there are always a few old timer diehards like us.

HOW could you deny your fellow psgrs the sight of you all decked out??;)

Nancy

There are more 'diehards' than you think ~most do not post or even read Cruise Critic boards.

MB

I found that out....but the ones that do are so great at sharing opinions and thoughts that it really adds another dimension to Seabourn travelling. I love it and some are great writers with great wits. I can't keep up, but so enjoy reading. I am sort of into physical fitness, and last night my husband gave me an article that said no more than one hour a day in front of the screen! I have already exceeded that today!!! Off to the pool.

Some of us, and we are not the only ones, prefer the larger ships but like dressing up and the formal nights, so that wouldn't suit us!!

Some of us, and we are not the only ones, prefer the larger ships but like dressing up and the formal nights, so that wouldn't suit us!!

I agree Shelagh but the larger ships will inevitably attract a new,younger clientele who like to dress less formally.You and Larry can be the "Liz and Phil" of the ship if you want to dress formally.I don't think Seabourn guests mind if people dress more formally on some evenings even though some guests interpretation of Elegant Casual is a bit low.

Carefully avoiding the "tux/no tux" issue, you could perhaps organize a "formal" dinner party for like-minded guests in one of the conference rooms, perhaps? Even stretch to a separate menu. That seems more intime than going formal in the mdr when most aren't. Also, hoping formal nights return to the triplets is at odds with the previously acknowledged SB policy of having the small ships in Asia, which, as noted elsewhere, is a longer air trip than many ccers want to take.

I just caught up with you guys on this thread. Say it isn't so! What no formal nights! We are taking Odyssey to South America, and we were looking forward to dressing up for the formal nights. Mind you we are 67 and 68 years of age. I guess Seabourn doesn't need to attract the business of us old folks, maybe they think we will soon all be dead anyway? Very foolish...

Carefully avoiding the "tux/no tux" issue, you could perhaps organize a "formal" dinner party for like-minded guests in one of the conference rooms, perhaps? Even stretch to a separate menu. That seems more intime than going formal in the mdr when most aren't. Also, hoping formal nights return to the triplets is at odds with the previously acknowledged SB policy of having the small ships in Asia, which, as noted elsewhere, is a longer air trip than many ccers want to take.

The Pride is not doing good business in Asia and will return to more prosperous waters.

I've heard these rumors about a change in dress code but frankly, can't get any info on whether it will be more formal or less formal. Personally, I don't think having one dress code for the triplets and another for the larger ships would work. Seabourn needs consistency of product as much as possible, especially since there is already so much difference in the ships themselves.

I've heard these rumors about a change in dress code but frankly, can't get any info on whether it will be more formal or less formal. Personally, I don't think having one dress code for the triplets and another for the larger ships would work. Seabourn needs consistency of product as much as possible, especially since there is already so much difference in the ships themselves.

Henry,have you heard when the naturist cruises start?:eek:

I agree...I don't think they can "blanket" the dress code. In our town they tried to go less formal so they did "black tie optional" Everyone screamed. It either IS or IS NOT black tie. There is no optional....so after trying every term from "casual chic" to "festive attire"...(some were really funny) and they essentially meant you could wear what you wanted and people DID! Organizers were horrified so now we are back to square one. Our invitations come Black Tie or they say "Elegant Casual". I like the way Seabourn does it now with a variety of nights and options. The only thing I would change is having more casual nights in appropriate locations but still with options.

We have loved the Asian trip. It is a long way and we probably won't go back. We did Singapore (100 degrees) to Shanghai (44 degrees)...fun packing.

I wonder if they sometimes allow onboard decisions here. We were scheduled for one black tie on Beijing to Hong Kong earlier this year but a second was organized which went down really well. I actually saw someone in a brown jacket and slacks being turned away from the pre-dinner function and another at dinner on the second night. Three cheers for that and for any return to a policy that increases the number of formal nights. I can understand why you wouldn't want to take a DJ to the Caribbean or the Med for 7 days but if the cruise is longer than that then 2 formal nights makes the carrying worthwhile.

Onboard decisions? By whom? The staff or the passengers? There's a discussion I'd pay to stay away from.

LordoftheSeas,

Those naturist cruises start as soon as you book yours. Talk about a Seabourn Experience!

Onboard decisions? By whom? The staff or the passengers? There's a discussion I'd pay to stay away from.

LordoftheSeas,

Those naturist cruises start as soon as you book yours. Talk about a Seabourn Experience!

Like 3-D movies...perhaps we should all wear special glasses when aboard this cruise! :eek:

I am on a 7 day out of Rome trip in October. My documents did not indicate the dress code. I called up Seabourn. No black tie, or for that matter tie required. My husband was thrilled. Frankly, I did not want to take another piece of luggage to accomodate the tux and over the top dresses. Now what do I do with the tux that was used on our prior Seabourn cruises? All of our friends kids are married! We live in the suburbs and no one dresses up.

Archived