Dining Room Disasters: What's the worst dish you've had on Carnival?

I'm an adventurous eater, I'll eat just about anything...I typically will order the weirdest thing on the menu at restaurants.

BUT....

I just could not handle the "Chili Relleno"

Oh man..I dont know if it was the grease soaked batter, or just the way the pepper disintegrated when I tried to cut it with a fork

I just couldn't do it...

Tried it 2x now a couple years apart and it was the same :eek:

Other than that, I've generally had great food on Carnival and the service is usually outstanding

It's sad, because real, authentic chili rellenos are one of the best things to eat in this world. The CCL variety bears little resemblance...

It's sad, because real, authentic chili rellenos are one of the best things to eat in this world. The CCL variety bears little resemblance...

I'm glad to see this on here, because I kept intending to try the chili rellenos onboard, as I normally really love it. Guess I won't try Carnival's version!

Do you have any memories of dining disasters, or just something Carnival could improve on in general? Feel free to share.

Our first cruise was an Eastern Caribbean route on the (almost brand new) Sensation. I ordered carrot cake for dessert in the MDR one night.

It came with chocolate frosting. :eek:

I'm glad to see this on here, because I kept intending to try the chili rellenos onboard, as I normally really love it. Guess I won't try Carnival's version!

Since Carnival's employees do not represent a large Mexican presence, they might be better served trying dishes like Pancit Canton, or Filipino Adobo [not the same as Spanish Adobo] or Lumpia. I'm sure plenty of pancit and lumpia gets made down in the crews mess.

they might be better served trying dishes like Pancit Canton, or Filipino Adobo [not the same as Spanish Adobo] or Lumpia. I'm sure plenty of pancit and lumpia gets made down in the crews mess.

Hmmm... I'm thinking maybe the names of those dishes might be part of the reason you don't see them served. I'm not sure how many folks unfamiliar with Filipino cuisine would be adventurous enough to choose LUMPIA from the menu. Maybe it's just me but I picture getting a dish something like the one described below.

Our waiter brought it and set it down in from of him then just stood back. Our whole table of 6 burst out laughing it. It looked like a huge turd covered in green seaweed and stunk like rotten fish. :eek: I wish I knew what it was called.

I'm an adventurous eater, I'll eat just about anything...I typically will order the weirdest thing on the menu at restaurants.

BUT....

I just could not handle the "Chili Relleno"

Oh man..I dont know if it was the grease soaked batter, or just the way the pepper disintegrated when I tried to cut it with a fork

I just couldn't do it...

Tried it 2x now a couple years apart and it was the same :eek:

Other than that, I've generally had great food on Carnival and the service is usually outstanding

I like the chile relleno and make it a point to order it on every cruise. Only complaint is sometimes it is too hot.

Hmmm... I'm thinking maybe the names of those dishes might be part of the reason you don't see them served. I'm not sure how many folks unfamiliar with Filipino cuisine would be adventurous enough to choose LUMPIA from the menu. Maybe it's just me but I picture getting a dish something like the one described below.

Lumpia

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 pound ground meat or poultry

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 cloves garlic -- minced

1 tablespoon patis or soy sauce

1 large onion -- chopped

2 tablespoons flour

1 can water chestnuts -- chopped (8 oz)

1/4 cup water

2 pounds bean sprouts

30 lumpia wrappers

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Salad oil for frying

In a saucepan, brown meat with garlic and onion. Add water chestnuts, bean

sprouts, salt, pepper, and patis or soy sauce; cook for 2 minutes. Drain and

cool thoroughly. Combine flour and water to make a paste. To make lumpia,

place 2 tablespoons filling on a wrapper. Fold nearest edge of wrapper over

filling; fold left and right sides toward center. Roll tightly toward open

edge. Seal with paste. Heat oil to 375 F. Fry lumpia until golden brown;

drain. Serve with Lumpia Dipping Sauce. Makes 30 lumpia.

Also made with sausage filling.

Much better than seaweed covered thingys.

The only thing I have ever ordered that was truly awful was the Eggplant Zuccini Parmesean. Came in a bowl floating in grease YUCK!

WCMC is something I like, but only order if nothing else looks good for dessert. I agree with a PP...if Bitter & Blanc were on the menu everynight I would be in heaven!

The only thing I have ever ordered that was truly awful was the Eggplant Zuccini Parmesean. Came in a bowl floating in grease YUCK!

WCMC is something I like, but only order if nothing else looks good for dessert. I agree with a PP...if Bitter & Blanc were on the menu everynight I would be in heaven!

I love the eggplant zuccini and make it a point to order it on every cruise.

When I order the chili relleno I do order a second entre just in case it is too spicy. Why make extra work for the waiter?

Lumpa sounds delicious. Where can you get lumpa wrappers. Can you use spring roll wraps?

the wrappers are different but in a pinch if you cannot find lumpia wrappers they will work. Usually have to shop in an asian grocery store to find them.

The recipe makes them sound much better than seaweed covered thingies. They sound like they may be a little like empanadas maybe?

Yes, the wrappers are actually rice paper so it's a lot lighter than empanadas. They really look like extremely skinny egg rolls.

This is always one of the items on my birthday dinner wish list. Ponsit is the other item; which is a rice noodle with veggies and usually pork stir fried.

Yes, the wrappers are actually rice paper so it's a lot lighter than empanadas. They really look like extremely skinny egg rolls.

This is always one of the items on my birthday dinner wish list. Ponsit is the other item; which is a rice noodle with veggies and usually pork stir fried.

They sound good, I'd love to try them. Hope they add them to the menu.

They sound good, I'd love to try them. Hope they add them to the menu.

The end of that lumpia recipe says dip them in dipping sauce.

The first lumpia I ever had was on a train to Bagio. I was traveling with guys I had known in the states that went over months ahead of me. The dipping sauce was a clear colorless liquid. Looked like water. I dipped, it was pure clear uncut garlic juice. A real eye opener and date killer!!!:D:D:eek:

Good tho.

I have however heard great reviews of the escargots. Anyone had this?

I always order two fo these when they have them They are wonderful most of the time they are tender sometimes chewy but always good.The main dish I am looking forward to having on my upcoming cruise.

Just got back from the Splendor and I had the Chili Rellanos on formal night because I'm a vegetarian and it was so disgusting I couldn't eat it. My first bite was almost a shock because I didn't think that anyone could mess up a rellano so I took another bite and it was just as bad. My husband also ordered it and our eyes met from a distance and we both knew. I tried to move my food around a little so it looked like I ate some but it was really huge. I waited for my melting cake in peace and it was goooooood.

The Baked Herb Polenta was flavorless as well - very few herbs in there.

I always order two fo these when they have them They are wonderful most of the time they are tender sometimes chewy but always good.The main dish I am looking forward to having on my upcoming cruise.

Ditto to above comments--love the garlic & buttery flavor, & bread. have been ordering multiples last 8 cruises. All have been great--except one lousy escargot last time--first time ever, it must not have gotten rinsed well and felt I was chewing sand, over and over. Didn't even eat last one in casserole. I will reorder though.

CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE is bad

I have to concur here- I don't care for the Chocolate melting cake either (I know one of the few)- ordered on my first cruise- was so excited after everything I had heard and then was so disappointed!!

I generally don't like most of the desserts however in the MDR. I did enjoy the bitter and blanc everyone raved about though.

I have to concur here- I don't care for the Chocolate melting cake either (I know one of the few)- ordered on my first cruise- was so excited after everything I had heard and then was so disappointed!!

I generally don't like most of the desserts however in the MDR. I did enjoy the bitter and blanc everyone raved about though.

I don't hate it, but I certainly don't understand the devotion it gets from some people. Not only is WCMC not my fav food, it's probably only my 4th fav dessert!

some kind of chicken ordered on our last night. When I cut it I noticed it looked pink like it wasn't cooked all the way. My friend ordered the same thing and hers was the same way. Our husbands convinced us it was just the marinade and the lighting and it was indeed cooked just fine.

Well guess what? Should have went with my instinct. Both of us ended up sick and my friend was actually hospitalized for 3 days when we returned home. Flying home was no fun with both of us sick :(

Not Carnival's fault my any means...next time I'll listen to my instinct, not my husband :)

Archived