Shasa or Silvermoon catamaran cruise?

bandrproductions

My husband and I went with Silvermoon this past April on our cruise. It was wonderful and met all of my expectations. A beautiful and relaxing day where they make you feel special all day! The crew was wonderful to my husband who doesn't swim real well and made sure he had a great time in the water. The turtles were really cool to see and swim with and I also went snorkeling over the shipwreck which was interesting. Most of all we just enjoyed the boat and the wonderful atmosphere.:D I have also heard great things about Shasa but have no personal experience with them.

My husband and I went with Silvermoon this past April on our cruise. It was wonderful and met all of my expectations. A beautiful and relaxing day where they make you feel special all day! The crew was wonderful to my husband who doesn't swim real well and made sure he had a great time in the water. The turtles were really cool to see and swim with and I also went snorkeling over the shipwreck which was interesting. Most of all we just enjoyed the boat and the wonderful atmosphere.:D I have also heard great things about Shasa but have no personal experience with them.

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi!

What do you recommend?

Honestly in the year+ I've been reading threads about sailing/turtle excursions in Barbados, I haven't heard much bad about either shop. It seems everyone who does either really enjoyed it, so you probably can't go wrong.

Shasa only runs one boat, which I believe is much smaller than any boats Silvermoon runs. Silvermoon does both 12 and 24 person tours, whereas Shasa is limited to 12. From what I've read, the 12-person Silvermoon cruises are more intimate/personal, and the 24-person or more of a party, but I'm sure that varies based on the others on the tour.

I would make your decision based on that. That's what I did, we sailed with Shasa. Nothing but good things to say about it, and we plan on using him again when we return with our 6-year-old DD next year.

I can only speak personally about Shasa, although I have heard excellent reports about Silvermoon. I have been on many, many excursions over the years and I have never enjoyed an excursion more than our day with Jason on the Shasa. It was my all time favorite!

We sailed with Silvermoon in April, did the 12 person tour. Highly recommend it, especially when we saw the Carnival tour and everyone packed in like sardines. I can remember 2 of our 3 guides names (Nick and Tony) but all 3 were excellent. They took very good care of us, both in and out of the water. Good food, lots of drinks (alcoholic and non) and a fun atmosphere.

I do know Shasa is also very popular and usually needs to be booked far in advance. I don't think you would go wrong with either option.

We used Shasa. We had a larger group (18) so we ended up getting two catamarans (through Shasa). Even though the group was broken into two, we sailed next to each other and swam together at the stops. Jason was extremely professional at all times. I would book Shasa again in heartbeat.

We have done the 12 person Silvermoon 3 times and always LOVE it. We will do it again on our Emerald Princess cruise this October 19th. The great thing is that (If you like rum punch) they open and pour right from the start whereas a lot of the tours only have cocktails after swimming. The lunch is great and with only 12 people you can spread out in the water as well as on the boat. Silvermoon all the way!!!!

I tried to book the 3-3.5 hour turtle and shipwreck excursion with Silver Moon, but they told me they contract directly with Celebrity (we're on the Oct. 11 sailing), and unless I wanted to book their 5 hour snorkeling cruise, I'd have to book through the ship. Silver Moon said they use a 50-person boat/catamaran with Celebrity for this 3-3.5 hour excursion. Part of going private excursion is getting with a smaller group of people.

So, I contacted Shasa, and they will accommodate us. I have to give them a credit card no., but they do not charge the card, as they want cruise ship pax to pay in cash. I assume the c.c. is to prevent us from being no-shows.

Debbie

I tried to book the 3-3.5 hour turtle and shipwreck excursion with Silver Moon, but they told me they contract directly with Celebrity (we're on the Oct. 11 sailing), and unless I wanted to book their 5 hour snorkeling cruise, I'd have to book through the ship. Silver Moon said they use a 50-person boat/catamaran with Celebrity for this 3-3.5 hour excursion. Part of going private excursion is getting with a smaller group of people.

So, I contacted Shasa, and they will accommodate us. I have to give them a credit card no., but they do not charge the card, as they want cruise ship pax to pay in cash. I assume the c.c. is to prevent us from being no-shows.

Debbie

:confused: Do you or anyone have a direct link to these two tour companies? I am interested in the lunch tour but could not find the rates.

Also...what type of food were served...was it served on the boat on beach?

Thanks

Tess was my contact with Shasa and you can contact her at the email: shasacatamarancruises@gmail.com

and Katrina is who I dealt with at Silvermoon, here is the website information: http://silvermoonbarbados.com/contact-us/

I have done the 24 person with Silvermoon, and have booked with Tess & Jason in March of 2011. I cannot compare the 2, but like the idea that Jason's catamaran is smaller, and will not go to the same places where the larger catamarans go.

We VERY much enjoyed our day with Silvermoon, and the food and staff were all fabulous. I will say the turtles were VERY crowded, hence a different option for the next trip. We would book with Silvemoon again, but we would probably not swim with the turtles, and stay on the catamaran. GREAT day overall!

Safe travels to you!

We did the the turtles last month (Shasa Catamaran Cruises) 30' 12 people max.(ages 63-8) no problems. 3 hr tour back by 2pm. If your cruise goes to St. Martann and a great sailboat clipper day google (randomwind.com) say hi to Daine, have a good time, NIck

Tess was my contact with Shasa and you can contact her at the email: shasacatamarancruises@gmail.com

and Katrina is who I dealt with at Silvermoon, here is the website information: http://silvermoonbarbados.com/contact-us/

I have done the 24 person with Silvermoon, and have booked with Tess & Jason in March of 2011. I cannot compare the 2, but like the idea that Jason's catamaran is smaller, and will not go to the same places where the larger catamarans go.

We VERY much enjoyed our day with Silvermoon, and the food and staff were all fabulous. I will say the turtles were VERY crowded, hence a different option for the next trip. We would book with Silvemoon again, but we would probably not swim with the turtles, and stay on the catamaran. GREAT day overall!

Safe travels to you!

Thanks for these links. I will c heck them out! ;)

Archived