2011 14 Day Alaska Itinerary

califgary

Ive noticed the 14 day Alaska Itinerary is different in 2011 than it is in 2010 - I read in another thread that this is due to not knowing if the Glacier Bay permits will be granted or not for the 2011 sailings and if they do get them, the itinerary will change....Any experienced HAL cruisers out there that can confirm this?

Hi, Califgary. This year's 14-day Amsterdam itineraries also started out as going to Tracey Arm. However, once the Glacier Bay permits came through, every itinerary except the July 12th departure was changed to Glacier Bay. My sister and I are booked on next year's May 27 Amsterdam departure. It currently will cruise Tracey Arm Fjord, which I actually haven't done yet, and I've heard it's really lovely in its own way. So either way, whether we do indeed end up in Glacier Bay or not, I'm looking forward to the trip. It's a wonderful combination of cruise and port stops.:)

Interesting! Well we are one month after you next year - and I suppose youre right, either way will be awesome. Will they notify if the itinerary changes or do we just keep checking? Wonder when they do the Glacier Bay permits for 2011.....

I just found this on the Glacier Bay govt website:

The five companies that have been awarded new concession authorizations for cruise ship services for the years 2010 through 2019 are listed below along with a link to their concession contracts:

Princess Cruiselines

Holland America, Inc.

Norwegian Cruiselines

West Travel, Inc

Crystal Cruises, Inc.

Since the new authorizations go through 2019, Im guessing HAL (et al) pretty much know they have Glacier Bay Access - -- In looking at the actual contract HAL gets 65 entrances and HAL has to submit plans for next year (2011) by June 15, 2010 so the proposals must be in already - wonder when we hear whats going on...

I am waiting to see what happens also. I recall last year when the itineraries came out for the 14 day round trip out of Seattle for 2010, it included Tracy Arm (as already mentioned) and a really good time in Victoria. That changed to Glacier Bay and a later day in Victoria.

I am very excited that the new itinerary includes BOTH Icy Strait and Sitka, two ports I missed on my previous cruise. Not sure if I can make it happen, but if the itinerary doesn't change too much, I could be very tempted to go again in 2011.

We are booked on HAL 14 day cruisetour on Zuiderdame August 20, 2011 and it is going to Glacier Bay.

How do the cruisetours work with a round trip Vancouver cruise? I did not know they offered them from Vancouver.

We booked the 14 day Alaskan cruise on the Amsterdam in 2009 and at that time it was listed as going to Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay -- the contracts had not been signed when we booked.

The sometime -- I can't remember the date -- once the contracts were signed -- Glacier Bay was substituted for Tracy Arm -- great change -- JMO -- I think it happened some time in late summer or early fall of 2009.

The other big change for 2011 is that now instead of going to Skagway -- the Amsterdam will be going to Icy Straight.

The other big change for 2011 is that now instead of going to Skagway -- the Amsterdam will be going to Icy Straight.

This is what appeals to me. However, it also has a shorter time in Sitka which I was not happy about. I really like the time that is currently posted for Victoria. I will keep my eyes open to see what changes might occur.

vbMom - fingers crossed that it will change to Glacier Bay, which gained us two additional hours in Sitka for this year's sailing. Sitka was my favorite port....but now it shares that position of honor with Homer:p...and thats not a bad thing! I'd LOVE to go to ISP, it really appeals to me for the wild Alaskan feel - also a port we haven't visited before. Sounds like an awesome itinerary!

vbMom - fingers crossed that it will change to Glacier Bay, which gained us two additional hours in Sitka for this year's sailing. Sitka was my favorite port....but now it shares that position of honor with Homer:p...and thats not a bad thing! I'd LOVE to go to ISP, it really appeals to me for the wild Alaskan feel - also a port we haven't visited before. Sounds like an awesome itinerary!

I didn't care one way or the other about Tracy Arm vs. Glacier Bay as we went to both and loved them both. However, if iGlacier Bay would give us two extra hours in Sitka, that would be wonderful.

Do you recall if I am correct that the original 2010 itinerary had a long port day in Victoria which was later changed to a much shorter day?

Not sure about getting there next year or not, but it is a little more than a remote possibility. Just trying to figure out the best time of the year to go. I am considering adding on a week in the interior of Alaska. We will see.

You are correct - we originally had from 2PM til 10PM, I think, in Victoria. Were not aware of the change til we boarded the ship. A bit disappointing, because we had plans to try their harbor ferry hopping on and off as we pleased. Oh well...maybe next time....

Hoping to go back to AK in 2012 - spending 3 or 4 days in Denali, then down to Homer for 4 days, then (hopefully!) a southbound cruise. Loved Homer - our first time there! - and wished we had more time there! Haven't been to Denali, although our long port time in Anchorage allowed for some rental car time that got us up as far north as Big Lake and Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennels. Spectacular!! Didn't see the mountain in all her glory, so we've GOT to get to Denali...that and the wildlife to be seen there really appeals!

Hope things work out and you get to go back next year. Keep us posted!

Archived