Does RCCL offer bus service from the Ashdod into Jerusalem?

stipmom

Don't know about RCCL shuttles, but the public bus company Egged in Israel is extremely good. We spent some time DIY-travelling in Israel, and the busses were a breeze. Check out their site here. Last time I looked at a cruise to Ashdod, I did a brief search on the site and figured it was feasible to DIY. But...different strokes for different people... whatever you are comfortable with.

Don't know about RCCL shuttles, but the public bus company Egged in Israel is extremely good. We spent some time DIY-travelling in Israel, and the busses were a breeze. Check out their site here. Last time I looked at a cruise to Ashdod, I did a brief search on the site and figured it was feasible to DIY. But...different strokes for different people... whatever you are comfortable with.

Personally, I don't know of any cruise company that offers a shuttle service from Ashdod to Jerusalem. Some companies will offer shuttle service from the port to the city only.

You can go by your own to Jerusalem from Ashdod and you can do it on either 2 ways:

1. Taxi – you have taxi service from the port. A drive to Jerusalem and back, including 5 hrs waiting time in Jerusalem is 1,000 NIS (260$USD). Every extra waiting hour in Jerusalem will cost you 80 NIS (20$USD). The taxi will pick you from the pier and will return you to the pier.

2. Public transportation. As mentioned here, Egged operate the bus line from Ashdod to Jerusalem – line no 448. It is a 1.5 hr ride and it costs 19.7 NIS (a bit more than 5$USD). In order to get from the pier to the CBS your best option is to take a taxi from the pier in the cost of 50NIS (13$USD).

Few things you need to take into consideration choosing the second option:

A. You must have Israeli money on you as you get off the ship. While the taxi driver might accept USD, for the bus you must have NIS. You will be able to get some using ATM in the CBS.

B. The over whole ride to Jerusalem using public transportation will take 2.5-3 hrs including the ride to the CBS and waiting time expected there. And that will get you only to Jerusalem's CBS from there you'll need to take either other buses or taxi to get to the site and places you want to visit. Of course that will mean more time spends on waiting and riding in the city.

C. You must have with you contact information to one of the taxis allowed to enter the port on your way back, since not every taxi is allowed to go into the port. The taxi service in Ashdod port is operated my Masada taxi station. Their phone number is 972-8-855722.

All in all, whatever you'll choose, have a great visit to Israel

Archived