Weather help

sdmike

In the airport heading to MIA and I see a quick report on a tropical storm in the Caribbean. However, I missed all the details. Can anyone help fill in some gaps? When is it hitting florida? What will NCL do if the storm gets between MIA and the western destinations? We board Saturday.

Thanks!

:eek:

In the airport heading to MIA and I see a quick report on a tropical storm in the Caribbean. However, I missed all the details. Can anyone help fill in some gaps? When is it hitting florida? What will NCL do if the storm gets between MIA and the western destinations? We board Saturday.

Thanks!

:eek:

Looks like might hit very southern Florida Thursday/Friday and will hit the gulf area/LA on Saturday/Sunday.

HTH-

Melissa

I live in S. Florida. You should be OK. Currently, Port of Key West is closed until further notice. The bulk of the storm is passing through on Friday, with on and off rain into Saturday. Some chance of rain Sunday, then nice again. It's a good thing you're leaving this Saturday vs. last since the storm has been in the Carrib all week!

Copied from CC:

Carnival Destiny, which leaves from Miami today, will sail an altered itinerary. The ship will stay at sea tomorrow instead of visiting Key West as originally planned. It will then visit Cozumel on Saturday and Key West on Sunday before returning to Miami on Monday.

star2.bmpRoyal Caribbean is adopting a wait-and-see attitude. The line has a contingency plan in place for Grandeur of the Seas, which is set to depart Fort Lauderdale today. In a statement, the line said that "according to the most recent weather forecasts, the ship will be able to depart on time and head south to Key West, Florida. However, U.S Coast Guard has closed the Port of Key West until tropical storm force winds have subsided. If the Port of Key West has not reopened by early tomorrow morning, Grandeur of the Seas will be unable to make its scheduled port of call there tomorrow. Should the ship be unable to visit Key West, Grandeur of the Seas will spend the day at sea tomorrow, sailing directly to Cozumel, Mexico, where it will arrive earlier than scheduled on Saturday."

Presumably you are flying from California to Miami on Friday for your Saturday departure. Tropical Storm and Flood warnings have been issued for Miami for Friday. Be prepared for wet and windy weather.

Hi - we are heading out of Rhinelander,Ws via Mpls to Miami tomorrow to also sail Saturday. Talked to our son, on the ship with Howl at the Moon, this afternoon. Says it was rainy and a little rough - but not as bad as it was going out last Sat and sunday. they are heading towards Nassau right now. Said they had a great crowd last night and it has been a great cruiese this week, as was last weeks'. He is very impressed with the ship so far.

See you at Howl at the Moon!

Hi - we are heading out of Rhinelander,Ws via Mpls to Miami tomorrow to also sail Saturday. Talked to our son, on the ship with Howl at the Moon, this afternoon. Says it was rainy and a little rough - but not as bad as it was going out last Sat and sunday. they are heading towards Nassau right now. Said they had a great crowd last night and it has been a great cruiese this week, as was last weeks'. He is very impressed with the ship so far.

See you at Howl at the Moon!

Thanks for the 'live' update :). We too are sailing on Saturday - currently sitting in hotel in Miami - arrived early this afternoon - glad we are here. It was very windy this afternoon.

Pretty good storm tracking site is http://www.stormpulse.com

Thanks for the replies. Just got into my hotel (Hilton) with a gorgeous view if the bay and cruise terminal. They are saying the weather will blow (pun intended) tomorrow, so we will see how it goes.

(from noah)

storm information...

At 11 pm edt...the center of tropical storm bonnie was located

near latitude 23.4n...longitude 76.5w. This was about 280 miles

southeast of miami fl...or about 380 miles east-southeast of

naples fl. Storm motion was nw at 14 mph. Maximum sustained winds

were 40 mph.

.situation overview...

The center of tropical storm bonnie is expected to move across

the florida straits and florida keys during the day on friday. The

main impacts expected across south florida on friday are heavy

rainfall and tropical storm force winds. It is important to

remember that tropical storm force winds can be dangerous.

As a result, outdoor activities should be limited on friday as

squalls affect south florida. Rainfall amounts area wide are

forecast to be 2 to 4 inches with locally higher amounts of up to

6 inches possible on friday. This is capable of causing flooding

mainly in flood prone areas such as coastal locations which are

vulnerable to tidal effects. There is also the possibility of isolated

tornadoes across the area as the center of the storm moves across

the straits and florida keys.

.precautionary

Thanks GigCruiser. I will try to post a picture tomorrow of my view. The hotel is showing its age, and it's in a really crummy part of town (guard at the street level), but the room is HUGE and we have a gorgeous view of the bay.

The storm should be in the Gulf by early tomorrow morning... you should be good to go... I am in the Orlando area and we will feel the edge of her today and she will be gone by tonight... so South Florida should be ok tomorrow... :)

NCL Facebook page has just issued the following 22 minutes ago:

@NCLFreestyle Weather Update: As the safety and security of our guests is the utmost importance, we are closely monitoring the path of Tropical Storm Bonnie. At this time, there are no changes to our itineraries and all ships are operating as scheduled. We will let you know should itinerary changes occur.

Some ugly weather here in MIA this morning. This is the view from the 12th floor of the Hilton. Our room at the Hilton is WONDERFUL. It's about twice the size of a BA cabin, and we have two queens and a sitting area with fold out couch plus chairs. We also have floor to ceiling windows on the corner with incredible views. I'm hoping this weather passes soon.

100_1942-vi.jpg

100_1943-vi.jpg

Some ugly weather here in MIA this morning. This is the view from the 12th floor of the Hilton. Our room at the Hilton is WONDERFUL. It's about twice the size of a BA cabin, and we have two queens and a sitting area with fold out couch plus chairs. We also have floor to ceiling windows on the corner with incredible views. I'm hoping this weather passes soon.

100_1942-vi.jpg

100_1943-vi.jpg

Are you having the 40mph winds there now?

Are you having the 40mph winds there now?

We had some 'sideways rain' for a while with high winds, but it comes and goes with the weather bands. Lots of thunder and lightning right now. I can't imagine sailing into port early this morning in that weather like the three ships in the harbor did.

15 minutes ago it looked like it was clearing. At this moment I can't even see the port. :eek:

A weather update for those sailing on the Epic tomorrow. The weather is clearing as I type this. Still lots of dark clouds, but also spots of sun. The rain has stopped and the winds are calming down. I know there will be a few more bands of weather coming through, but the worst is behind us. It should be an EPIC day for sailing tomorrow. :)

Archived