Precruise: Menzies or HI Old Sydney?

goldiemom

I have a reservation at the Menzies Hotel in Sydney for two nights prior to my 14 day Australia/NZ cruise in January 2011. I have found a good deal on the Holiday Inn Old Sydney (in the Rocks). It is more expensive than the Menzies (I've stayed at the Menzies on another trip to Sydney), but the location seems to be great. Has anyone stayed at the HI Old Sydney that can give me more insight as to what to do?

Thanks

Barb

I often stay at the Holiday Inn at The Rocks and you are right, it's a fantastic location and well worth any extra cost. It's an old warehouse building but it's been very well "done" with comfortable, if basic, rooms. You are literally 5 minutes walk to the bridge, Circular Quay (where the harbour ferries operate from) and 10 minutes to the Opera House, Botanical Gardens and shopping. The Rocks district has lots of cafes, restaurants, galleries, shops etc. I always recommend visitors to Sydney stay there.

We stayed there pre-cruise in January 2009. We got a great deal, which was helped by a strong US dollar. The rooms aren't special, but the location is outstanding. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

Archived